Whisky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whisky

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas ):

"If you mean whiskey, the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the elixir of life, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life’s great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

This is my position, and as always, I refuse to compromise on matters of principle."

Alastair

Re: Whisky

The more I kissed her the more I loved her,
    The more I kissed her the more she smiled.
    I forgot my mother's teaching,
    Nancy soon had me beguiled.
    Whisky, whisky, Nancy whisky,
    Whisky, whisky, Nancy-o!
    :laugh2:

It was my party song!

Aye, a wee sip is a fine thing!

Comment

Scotch is one of the most consumed alcoholic beverages of all time, after all, it's been a hundred years, however, did not think, generally considered the actual origin of this popular beverage. As the name suggests, was originally produced in Scotland.
      Asian Fashion

Comment

Single malt is where it's at, all you hipsters, flipsters, and finger poppin' Daddy-O's!

What makes Scotch single-malt different from other whiskys? Irish almost never uses peat and usually includes un-malted as well as malted barley; rye and bourbon are based respectively on rye and corn and are also un-peated. Peat is what kept the most distinctive Scotch whiskys from acquiring a wide and appreciative audience until relatively late last century. I have my "Mr. Pedantic" wig on right now, so the word "Whisky" is correctly spelled "Whisky", no "e" involved! From Wikipedia: "The American distillers who use the spelling without an "e", such as Maker's Mark, tend to have a Scottish heritage or a marketing strategy of associating their product with the Scottish tradition.[9]" From what I've read, the original Samuels guys parents were Scottish, so he used "Whisky" as a mark of respect.

Good single malt, the herb coriander and the spice clove are all like cat-nip to me - any one of these will entice me to roll around the carpet and beg for my tummy to be rubbed, preferably by my beautiful wife, Fiona:cool:

Comment

In the "Scots Magazine" every month there is an excellent article on various brands of Scotch Whisky.

Comment

Working...
          X