• Show
Clear All

Re: need spelling for gaelic word

That is what I said above.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

sorry for taking so long to reply, i have to get techi help because I keep going round in circles, trying to log on.

at any rate, regarding the word i phonetically spelled as "skook", my dad was brought up on Margaree Island off Cape Breton, my grandfather was the light house keeper, Angus Y MacLellan. They also raised sheep. There appears to be a linkage here if the word shake sounds like skook, as they only ever wanted a touch or shake of milk in their tea. Locally I have another investigation going on as another speaker remembers this saying also. They are contacting their dad. She thinks it was a slang expression used in a small area of Scotland. Will keep you posted on the result if I can get logged on.

Comment

sorry i just posted the update I meant to say that if they raised sheep, then they would be familiar with the "shake" of a newborn lamb's tail and could easily have used it to indicate just a "shake" of milk in their tea. I raised goats for years and the newborn's also have a similar "shake".

Comment

Working...
        X