VISIT SCOTLAND VOL 1: Glen Coe, Scottish Highlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VISIT SCOTLAND VOL 1: Glen Coe, Scottish Highlands

Glen Coe is one of the most spectacular and beautiful places in Scotland, once visited never forgotten. Its best accessed from the east via the A82 in which you take in a spectacular drive through Rannoch Moor which covers 50 sq miles of land.

Rannoch Moor is beautifully barren and perfectly sums up the words "Lonely Planet" with endless views of open spaces in every direction and just a single winding road , however Rannoch Moor can also be as equally trecherous when the weather sets in and not a place to be waiting for AA assistance.

When you reach Glen Coe you are met by an elevated view over the Glen with the famous three steeply-sided ridges known as "The Three Sisters" lying to the west. "The Three Sisters" form part of "Bidean nam Bian", which is the highest point in the former county of Argyll and a complex mountain with many ridges and subsidiary peaks. There is an undoubtably haunting and eerie feel about Glen Coe which is psychologically enhanced if you research the history of the area prior to visiting, but whats also very unforgettable is just how quiet and peaceful it is. Its a place you will want to stop at and take in the views, transgress or maybe go for a walk for no particular reason to no particular place. As you stand shadowed by "The Three Sisters", its easy to visualise what happened there during the early hours of February 3rd 1692.

Glen Coe is formed from an ice age glacier, it is 10 miles in length but just 700 metres in width, at approximately the halfway mark the road narrows sharply at a spot known as "The Pass Of Glen Coe". Glen Coe is often said to mean "Glen Of Weeping" presumably in reference to the massacre of Glencoe however Glen Coe was actually named for The River Coe which runs through it. As the seasons change so does Glen Coes appearance, after snowfall the arctic "whiteout effect" covers the beautiful landscape which is rich in many different colours, streams, destroyed stone structures, wildlife and scattered farms, there are also several viewpoints during the drive through Glen Coe that enable you to capture magical photos.

Its remarkable the number of people based in the UK who I speak to that have never been to The Scottish Highlands. I made my first trip to Glen Coe and the Highlands at the age of 37 in January 2009 after a difficult period during my life, i left feeling at peace with wonderful memories of this land that enabled me to look to the future. After vowing to return there one day, in December 2009 i took my family there for the ultimate Chrismas experience and on our return started work on "Lonely Planet" which can now be seen as a 2 part film on my videos.

If you havn't been to The Scottish Highlands" yet, dont let your life pass you by without visiting one of the most unique and beautiful places on earth because discovering parts of Scotland give a similar feeling to watching a great movie that you have been putting off for years. Finally......make sure you take a camera with a large memory card.

Alastair

Re: VISIT SCOTLAND VOL 1: Glen Coe, Scottish Highlands

VISIT SCOTLAND VOL 2: Scottish Highlands

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X