Battle of Falkirk Memorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Falkirk Memorial

Battle of Falkirk (1298), remembrance speech. 16th July 2011.
    by Fellowship of the Thistle on Sunday, 17 July 2011 at 22:17

As we stand here today, I feel the emotion of us all… Strong enough to choke, man or woman. The history of this place, the tragic events that took place here; fresh in our minds.

It always amazes me how history appears to repeat itself. Whether it is coincidence or our inability; as a people to learn from our mistakes - we may never know. Yet again I see it happening.

As all are aware, before Wallace’s forces suffered defeat here in Falkirk. A great victory was won for Scotland, by her people; at Stirling Brig. To put a modern spin on those events, only 2 months ago the people of Scotland once more won a victory for our country, with the great political battle of the Scottish election. The mood is still jubilant and the people are optimistic, yet our battle of Falkirk has appeared upon the horizon, ever getting closer… whether Scotland wins or looses us up to all of us.

It has been said at recent events that there is a need of the continued unity being experienced by the various patriotic groups. I say this is not so, the false shows of unity are as transparent as crystal. If we don’t cease to bicker about who is right and wrestle for the illusion of power, then our cause will surely shatter as easily as the toasting glass cast upon the fire.

Why are we here today? For some it is to remember the past, the sacrifice of brave patriots. For others it is about the present, and a way to express there patriotism. But surely, we are all here for the love of Scotland….. Our Scotland….

All of us here today, have different ideologies, and we apply different strategies and methods to try and achieve this…. Yet do we not all wish to work towards Scotland's freedom? Could this one common ideal be enough to unify us?
    It is said, that there are many paths that lead to the top of a mountain, yet once there the view is the same, no matter which path you followed. We all follow our own paths to the same goal, no one has the right to judge who is right or wrong… else you deny that person their freedom.. How can we ever be a free nation again, if we continue to oppress one another? We must all learn to embrace the diversity and individuality of our great nation, allow freedom of thought and speech. We don’t have to like each others view points, but we should at least respect their rite to think that way, lest we loose that rite ourselves.

Today, under the gaze of past patriots, hero’s of Scotland, let us draw a line under all that has happened in the past…. Let us go from here to work for the good of Scotland in our own unique ways…. Let us leave behind the petty jealousy and laughable vendettas. Let us move forward as Legion… many but with one purpose… The freedom; of our beloved Scotland, and all her children.

Click image for larger version

Name:	267489_192999020757397_166427556747877_546512_1307897_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	23797
    Attached Files
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Battle of Falkirk Memorial

As the son of two "Falkirk Bairns" and with family still living there I can say................................

"Touch ane touch a",

and

"Better meddle wi' the deil than the Bairns O' Falkirk"

Comment

Now here's a another bit of what can certainly be termed history!! Can I toot my horn? A gie lang time ago, in my young days, I won the 220 sprint at the Falkirk Highland Games.

Comment

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for sharing that wonderful memory! It must be fun to participate in the games.
        kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Hello Kellyd:

Growing up in the midst of three hulking brothers, I was the shy hellion of the family. I sometimes wonder how my parents survived me. But, I had a great youth, and on occasion I look back with a little smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
            Hello Kellyd:

Growing up in the midst of three hulking brothers, I was the shy hellion of the family. I sometimes wonder how my parents survived me. But, I had a great youth, and on occasion I look back with a little smile.
            I take that to mean that underneath all that sugar and spice, you're no one to trifle with.

Comment

To All....I do not mean to actually be irreverent, but I absolutely loved the contrast, I think, on the last photo, of the guys marching with their William Wallace banner,while there on the right is Burger King!! That makes the picture that much more interesting! Joan :angelic::redrose:

Comment

:laugh2: The sugar and spice has long worn thin. I guess that is why I have a great affinity to thistles!

Comment

Working...
                X