The Flag in the Wind
    Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    Poems of George Alexander Rodger
    Memoirs of the Jacobites
    R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    Our Australian Cousins
    Memoirs of Robert Dollar
    The Life of Hugh Miller
    Twenty Years on the Saskatchewan, N.W. Canada (New Complete book)

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    We did manage to transfer our sites to the new server and there was a little downtime while we did that but wasn't too bad.

This will now let us bring up the mirror server and get it over to Simon Fraser University as a remote backup for our main server.

-----

I can see in North America a lot of us are experiencing a bit of a heat wave as well as high humidity. Keeping my fingers crossed we don't end up with brown outs! I did notice a weather warning today...

Extreme temperatures and humidex values expected today. The humid tropical air mass has arrived as expected. The strong July sun will quickly cause the mercury to soar well into the middle and upper thirties this afternoon. Combining the record setting temperatures with the high humidity in this sultry tropical air mass will result in oppressive humidex values in the low to mid forties across all of Southern Ontario by this afternoon. There will be some local relief from the high humidex values immediately along the shorelines of the Great Lakes and large inland lakes. Current indications suggest that a weak front will slip through tonight. However in the wake of the front it will continue to be hot on Friday with temperatures in the low to mid thirties but somewhat less humid. Well above normal temperature will continue into the weekend for most of Southern Ontario with temperatures reaching the low thirties again on Saturday. It will be the combination of the duration of the high heat along with warm overnight conditions which makes this heat event particularly significant. During times of high heat and humidity, it is critical to stay properly hydrated by drinking Plenty of fluid like water or juice. Strenuous outdoor activities should be scheduled during the early morning or evening hours. Wear loose fitting, light weight clothing and spend as much time as possible in air conditioned places. Stay out of the sun and never leave elderly, children or pets unattended in a car.

I might add that when I lived in Kuwait we were also encourage to take some extra salt. They used to tell us to take salt tablets but they found they weren't releasing the salt very quickly so they said to pour a little salt into your hand and take it that way. Anyone feeling a bit weak should take plenty of water and some extra salt.

-----

I'm thinking about creating a Canadian web site. There are a few reasons for this the first being that I already have a considerable amount of information on the history of Canada and its Provinces by doing research on the Scots in Canada. Secondly as I find things out about Canada I often talk to other Canadians about them and they are often amazed at what Canada has achieved and wonder where I found out the information. In fact I'm quite amazed at how little Canadians know of their own country.

The reason for so much Canadian history going up is that it's almost impossible to do any of the history of Canada without coming across significant Scots and their descendants right across the country. From what I can see Canadians wrote a heck of a lot more about their country than just about any other country apart from Scotland itself. And pretty well all of it is out of copyright. Elsewhere in countries like the USA, Australia and New Zealand accounts are much rarer and often when located are in copyright.

And I suppose the final reason for considering this is that I've already got a huge amount of information up on Scotland and the Scots and while there is more to add I feel I'm getting toward the end of my personal targets for what I wanted to cover. In fact to be honest I've gone way past my original plan for the site.

Anyway... not saying I'm going to do it as I do need to do some research on what I might practically cover if I should decide to go ahead. I suspect the opening welcome statement might be - Canada, from a Scottish point of view! :-)

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    Steve managed to add these new games I've talked about for the past couple of weeks so hope you enjoy them. A couple of new golf games, more mahjongg, and some word games and others. Mind if you find any problems with any of them do let us know.

Lots of messages in this week and we created two new forums under our Lifestyle Group - Gaelic and Events.

The Gaelic forum was suggested after Caledonian volunteered to post up some instructional posts on the Scottish Gaelic language. The Events forum is to allow us to post up press releases of Scottish events happening around the world.

In addition we created a sub forum under Politics called "Scottish Independence". This forum is for the writings of Michael Hamilton who writes regular articles published in the Scotsman and Herald newspapers, They are mostly to do with writing about things that need to happen if Scotland is to become independent. He very much encourages people to provide their own thoughts and feedback to his articles.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org but of course if you are reading this you're already in it :-)

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue is now available compiled by Jennifer Dunn.

I might add that we have also created a Group in our Community for The Scots Independent Newspaper and this weeks Flag has also been posted up in The Flag in the Wind forum within that group. See http://www.electricscotland.org/foru...dent-Newspaper

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 4 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

The Highland Host
    Battle of Philiphaugh
    Soldierships and Superstitions, etc

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Poems of George Alexander Rodger
    --------------------------------
    Added some more poems...

Whacko! This is Your Life!
    Viva Mexico!

which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/rodger.htm

Memoirs of the Jacobites
    ------------------------
    Of 1715 and 1745 by Mrs Thomson (1845) in 3 volumes. We intend to add a chapter a week until complete.

I've now added "Rob Roy MacGregor Campbell"

The account starts...

"The Clan Gregiour," according to an anonymous writer of the seventeenth century, "is a race of men so utterly infamous for thieving, depredation, and murder, that after many Acts of the Council of Scotland against them, at length in the reign of King Charles the First, the Parliament made a strict Act suppressing the very name." Upon the Restoration, when, as the same writer declares, the reins were given to all licentiousness, and loyalty, as it was called, was thought sufficient to compound for all wickedness, the Act was rescinded. But, upon the late happy Revolution, when the nation began to recover her senses, some horrid barbarities having been committed by that execrable crew, under the leading of one Robert Roy Macgregiour, yet living, the Parliament under King William and Queen Alary annulled the said Act rescissory, and revived the former penal statute against them."

Such is the summary account of one who is evidently adverse to the political creed, no less than to the daring violence, of the clan Maegregor. Little can, it is true, be offered in palliation for the extra ordinary career of spoliation and outrage which the history of this race of Highlanders presents; and which terminated only with the existence of the clan itself.

The clan Gregor, anciently known by the name of clan Albin, dated their origin from the ninth century, and assumed to be the descendants of King Alpin, who flourished in the year 787: so great is its antiquity, that an old chronicle asserts, speaking of the clan Macarthur, "that none are older than that clan, except the hills, the rivers, and the clan Albin."

You can read the rest of this long story at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter10.htm

You can read the other chapters as we get them up at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/jacobites

R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    ---------------------------------------------
    An Appreciation of his Social and Religious Outlook by Ian M. Fraser (2002).

Added another chapter to this account...

Social Conviction Part 2

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/graham/

Our Australian Cousins
    ----------------------
    By James Inglis (1880)

Having now completed Our New Zealand Cousins above it is now time to move on to James Inglis's next book "Our Australian Cousins".

We now have up...

Chapter I.
    A retrospect—I start from Calcutta—Our steamer and cargo—Down the Bay—Penang—The Cowree Festival.

Chapter II.
    Singapore—My impressions of the island—Start for Australia— Among the islands—Torres Straits—Our Captain—Passen*gers and Chinese doctor—Somerset—Looking back—Colo*nial evidences—A bush dandy—The pearl-shell Fishery— The divers' boats and details of the Fishery—The pearl oyster—Incidents of the Fishing—Curious facts in natural history—Sharks.

Chapter III.
    The missionary—New Guinea—Early discoveries—Recent Expeditions—General description of the island—Animals— Natives — Curious customs—Deadly climate—Legends— General remarks.

Chapter IV.
    We leave Somerset—The Australian coast—The "Black Fellows" —A wreck—Brisbane—Aspect from the river—Signs of pro*gress—Hotels—Loungers at the bars—The streets—Houses of Parliament—View of the city—Queensland a fine "poor man's" country.

Chapter V.
    Regaining health—An Easter trip up the coast—My travelling companion—We travel steerage—Experience of a colonial coasting trip—Ration tea—General discomforts of colonial travel—Across the bar—Our reception by our host—The fishing station—The dugong—Mode of capture—Its uses— The black fellow assistants—A domestic squabble—Customs of the black fellows—A native battle.

Chapter VI.
    A corroborree—Discomforts of camp life—Treatment of the natives—The native police—British pluck and Christian courage—How the blacks are dealt with.

Chapter VII.
    Start for Maryborough—A colonial conveyance—A drive through, the bush—Mosquitoes—A bush inn—We reach Maryborough—The sugar-cane country—Alford sugar estate— Method of cultivation—Yengarrie Factory—Mode of manu*facture—The cheap labour question—Kanaka recruiting— Burning questions of the day—Class antagonism.

Here is a bit from Chapter VI...

One evening after a tremendous meal of turtle-flesh and shell-fish, with wild plums by way of dessert, and with the promise of several bottles of grog and a pipeful of tobacco for each man, the tribe numbering from sixty to seventy men, turned out in full fighting costume, consisting simply of streaks of white pipe*clay daubed in eccentric patterns over the rude wiry frame, with here and there a hideous blotch of red clay or yellow ochre to relieve the monotony of the more simple black and white. One or two, whose native modesty or sartorial resources were greater than those of their poorer brethren, added a few cockatoo plumes to their spiral ringlets, and stood forth magnificently arrayed in nature's garments. Standing in a circle, with fires of bark gleaming fitfully all through the camp ; the sombre mass of shadow from the pathless bush forming a weird background; the rows of ragged, haggard, withered "gins" squatting on their hams, with their rags around them, more repulsive in their dirt and ugliness than any mob of ourang-outangs, the picture was truly a wild one. They have no musical instruments; but the gins, in a shrill treble, begin a wailing song, with long-drawn cadences, abrupt stops, and sudden rises and falls, ending in a prolonged half- guttural hum and peculiar liquid half-ringing sound, like y'ling, y'ling, y'ling, not at all unlike in modu*lation and tone, to the faint far-off murmur of a church bell.

The men, with their deep bass, then join in, and each cadence is so distinctly graduated, each sudden break so entirely in accord, each stamp of the foot, each motion of the body so homogeneous, that the time is absolutely perfect. It seems, however, to come naturally to them. Next the gins beat time, by slap*ping a folded piece of cloth held tightly between the thighs, whilst some of them clash two boomerangs together with a sharp click, which sounds something like the music of rude castanets.

They go through all sorts of antics—stamp the foot on the ground like a deer when it is alarmed; sway the body from side to side; raise, extend, depress, or wave their hands and arms; but all act in the most complete concert, and all seem actuated by but one idea. "When the leader makes a faint chirruping sound, the men stop singing, but redouble their violent antics, whilst the excitement gets greater and greater. Leav*ing the ranks, they spin round, toss their arms, stamp their feet, shout out hoarse cries of encouragement and approbation to each other; the shrill wailing treble of the women audible through it all. The dusky forms, with their streaks of ghastly white, whirl and gyrate in quaint outlandish evolutions. The camp-fires flicker and flare, and while the dance and sOng culminate in a fierce outburst of cries and howls, the myriads of stars look down on the lonely bush, and the cold night- wind sweeps by in moaning gusts. At the end of each corroboree the men go through any amount of laughing criticism on each other's performances, and then they prepare for the next representation. Each corro*boree is a complete act in itself, and is supposed to represent some event in their daily life. It was to me one of the most absorbing sights I had ever seen; and the evident interest we took in their doings seemed much to delight the poor savages.

You can read more of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter06.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/auscousins/

Memoirs of Robert Dollar
    ------------------------
    By the Robert Dollar Company in 2 volumes (1917)

We now have more chapters up which now concludes the first volume...

Chapter Twenty. The Years of 1913, 1914, 1915
    Chapter Twenty-one. 1916 A Busy Year
    Chapter Twenty-two. How to get our Share of the World Commerce
    Chapter Twenty-three. Men who are Making America
    Chapter Twenty-four. Eloquent Appeal for a Greater American Merchant Marine
    Chapter Twenty-five. Hasty Trip to Japan and China

In Chapter Twenty-three we learn...

From Leslie's Weekly, September, 1916 By B. C. Forbes

The cook boy in a remote Canadian lumber camp was caught off guard.

"What are you up to?" demanded the boss.

The boy, startled, crumpled up a sheet of rough paper he had spread on top of a flour barrel.

"I've finished my work," he apologized.

"What were you doing?" asked the boss.

"When I have any spare time I like to learn." he explained, timidly.

"Learn what?"

"To figure and write."

The camp manager picked up the rumpled paper. It was covered with figures and writing.

He said no more.

When Li Yuen Hung was recently chosen President of China, one of the first things he did was to send this ex-cook boy a cable expressing a desire for his friendship. Yuan Shi Kai, his predecessor, had decorated the former lumber camp lad. So had the last Emperor of China.

Today, the cook boy is one of the most influential counselors of the Chinese Government and almost an idol in the eyes of the Chinese people.

His name is Robert Dollar, the foremost producer and exporter of lumber in the United States, the owner of two fleets of steamers, one for coastal, the other for overseas trade, the greatest individual creator of commerce between the Pacific Coast and the Orient, a still greater creator and cementer of friendship between the Orient and the Occident, and this country's most potent worker for the establishment of a powerful American merchant marine. Also, a philanthropist.

It was Captain Dollar who led the unsuccessful fight against the enactment of the suicidal La Follette Seamen's Bill which immediately swept the Stars and Stripes from the Pacific Ocean and gave the Japanese complete control of the commerce between the Orient and the United States.

"La Follette's name will go down to posterity as the man who drove the last nail into the merchant marine coffin," the veteran captain declared when, despite all the protests of commercial and shipping authorities, the fatal measure was passed by Congress.

The law was found to be so impossible that Washington was obliged to announce that certain features of it would not—because they could not—be enforced.

Even so, the conditions brought about were so demoralizing, so subversive of all discipline, so productive of insubordination, that shipping casualties became so numerous on the Pacific Coast that insurance companies refused to accept the risk.

An impressive tribute to the genius of American statesmanship!

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...1chapter23.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/rdollar/

The Life of Hugh Miller
    -----------------------
    A Sketch for Working Men (1862)

Now have thr first 7 chapters up...

Chapter I.
    Hugh Miller's Parentage—The Story of the Little Doggies-—His Father goes to Sea— Character of his Father—The Mutiny—Service in the Royal Navy—His Father's First Marriage and Early Bereavement— The Ship-wreck.

Chapter II.
    The New Ship—The Second Marriage—Birth of Hugh Miller—An Apparition—Another Skip-wreck and the Father Drowned—A Second Supernatural Appearance—Hugh Miller's Widowed Mother—His First School—Early Reading.

Chapter III.
    Hugh Miller's Maternal Uncles—Mode of spending Sabbath Evenings—The Grammar School—Attempts to Learn Latin—The Story-teller.

Chapter IV.
    Hugh Miller Obtains Access to a Good Library—Commences his Geological Studies—Studies the Art of War—His Naval Pursuits—The Gunpowder Plot.

Chapter V.
    Reasons for Giving the Foregoing Details— Autumn Journies to the Highlands—Removal to a New School—Insubordination—Conscientiousness in the Choice of a Calling—He is Bound Apprentice to a Mason—Enters the Quarry where he Re-commences the Study of Geology—Character of his Master—Resolves to Guard against Intemperance.

Chapter VI.
    Hugh Miller's Lessons in the Quarry—Friendship with William Ross—Loyalty to his Master in Seasons of Adversity—A Night Scene—Mad Bell.

Chapter VII.
    Termination of Hugh Miller's Apprenticeship-Visits Edinburgh—Returns to Cromarty out of Health—Goes to Inverness in Quest of Work—Amusing Interview

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/miller/

Twenty Years on the Saskatchewan, N.W. Canada
    ---------------------------------------------
    By the Rev. William Newton, Hon Canon of Saskatchewan (1897)

This is a complete book I've added to the site in which we get an insight into not only what it took to get to this Province but also what it was like in these early days.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/canada/twenty/

And finally...

Last Request

Appearing at the Glasgow festival is Canadian stand-up Caroline Rhea who played Aunt Matilda in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I remember Caroline being interviewed on Television before her Edinburgh Fringe show last year when Stephen Jardine’s first question was:

“Before you die, what’s the one thing you would like to do?”

A slightly alarmed looking Caroline replied:

“Do you have any bad news that I should know about?”

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend.

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com
Working...
X