Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted to share the full House of Ochiltree Line from the Bruce to the first Lord Ochiltree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted to share the full House of Ochiltree Line from the Bruce to the first Lord Ochiltree

1. ROBERT BRUCE, (son of ROBERT (the SIXTH) BRUCE and ISABEL de CLARE) occupation ROBERT BRUCE the 7th and EARL of CARRICK, d. 1305, SCOTLAND.

Robert Bruce was the seventh in succession of "Robert Bruce" and the Earl of Carrick by right of his wife, Marjory, daughter of Nigel, Earl of Carrick.

He married MARJORY, (daughter of NIGEL and MARGARET STEWART).

Children:

2. I ROBERT the BRUCE b. 1274.

Ii EDWARD BRUCE, occupation KING OF IRELAND.

Edward Bruce was King of Ireland.

Second Generation

2. ROBERT the BRUCE, b. 1274, SCOTLAND, occupation KING OF SCOTLAND(1306-29), d. 1329, SCOTLAND.

Robert the Bruce was the great champion of Scottish independence. He waged a long and uncertain war against Edward I, perhaps the greatest King of England, who almost succeeded in making Scotland a fief of England. Then Independence of Scotland and the title of "Bruce" to the throne were firmly established by the crushing defeat of Edward II at the battle of Bannockburn in 1314. The great place of Robert the Bruce in Scottish history is fully attested by the writings of standard historians and his fame is immortalized in literature. Robert the Bruce was married twice. His first wife was Isabella of Mar, by whom had only one daughter, Marjory, who later married Walter Stewart, the sixth holder of the hereditary title of High Steward of Scotland. His son by his second wife, Elizabeth de Burgh, was David Bruce who succeeded his father to the throne.

He married (1) ISABELLA of MAR, in SCOTLAND, b. SCOTLAND, (daughter of DONALD EARL of MAR and HELEN of LEWELLYN) occupation QUEEN, d. SCOTLAND.

Children:

3. I MARJORY BRUCE b. CIRCA 1297.

He married (2) ELIZABETH de BURGH, in SCOTLAND, (daughter of RICHARD de BURGH and UNKNOWN) occupation QUEEN, d. SCOTLAND.

Children:

Ii DAVID BRUCE, b. 1324, SCOTLAND, occupation KING OF SCOTLAND(1329-71), d. 1371, SCOTLAND.

He married (1) JOAN OF THE TOWER, 1328, in SCOTLAND, b. ENGLAND, occupation QUEEN, d. 1362, SCOTLAND.

He married (2) MARGARET LOGIE, 1363, in SCOTLAND, b. SCOTLAND, occupation QUEEN, d. SCOTLAND.

Third Generation

3. MARJORY BRUCE, b. CIRCA 1297, DUNDONALD, KYLE AYRSHIRE,SCOTLAND, d. 2 Mar 1316, SCOTLAND, buried: 1316, ABBEY of PAISLEY, SCOTLAND.

Margery was the daughter of Robert I "the Bruce" King of Scotland from his marriage to Isabella of Mar. Margery married Sir Walter Stewart who was a young knight and sixth family holder of the High Steward of Scotland. This marriage produced a son Robert Stewart who was to later become Robert II, King of Scotland (1371-90). Robert's birth was considered something of a miracle since he was delivered by caesarian section from his mother's body who died after a fall from her horse. (source:Kings and Queens of Scotland).

She married WALTER STEWART, 1315, in SCOTLAND, b. 1293, DUNDAONALD, KYLE, AYRSHIRE,SCOTLAND, (son of JAMES STEWART and UNKNOWN) occupation HIGH STEWARD OF SCOTLAND, d. 9 Apr 1326, BATHGATE CASTLE, W. LOTHIAN, SCOTLAND.

WALTER: The first recorded ancestor of the Stewarts was nobly born Breton named Alan, who was a "daipifer" or steward to the Count of Dol in the late eleventh century. Alan the "dapifer" had a son named Flaad who sought advancement in Britain, where he had land on the Welsh Marshes in the reign of Henry I. Flaad's grandson Walter won the favor of David I, who granted him the barony

Of Renfrew and appointed him High Steward of Scotland. The office became hereditary and hence the Stewart name. Walter was the sixth holder of title.

Children:

4. I ROBERT STEWART II b. Mar-1316.

Fourth Generation

4. ROBERT STEWART II, b. Mar-1316, PAISLEY, RENFREWSHIRE, SCOTLAND, occupation KING OF SCOTLAND, d. 14 Aug 1390, CASTLE of DUNDONALD, AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND, buried: 1390, SCONE ABBEY, PERTHSHIRE, SCOTLAND.

When Robert II came to throne, a fourteen years' truce with England still had twelve years to run, though unofficial warfare on the border continued with England. Full scale war broke out in 1385 as a by-product of the Hundred Years' War between England and France. Scotland became involved through assistance to France. Throughout this period Robert II was ever weak in his control of the state. In 1384 he appointed his heir John, Earl of Carrick, to enforce authority on his behalf.

He married (1) ELIZABETH MURE, CIRCA 1336, in SCOTLAND, b. 1330, ROWALLAN, SCOTLAND, (daughter of SIR ADAM MURE of ROWALLAN and UNKNOWN) occupation QUEEN, d. CIRCA 1355, SCOTLAND.

ELIZABETH: Elizabeth was Robert II's first wife, to whom he was related within the "forbidden degrees" of kinship. This required a papal dispensation to have their marriage and heirs recognized by the church and state. Robert II and Elizabeth may not have at first known of this requirement, for it was some years after the birth of their children that they applied for dispensation. This became a growing concern of Robert II's second family and heirs from his marriage to Euphemia of Ross following Elizabeth's death.

Children:

5. i JOHN STEWART b. 1337.

6. ii ROBERT STEWART b. CIRCA 1339.

iii WALTER STEWART, b. CIRCA 1340, SCOTLAND, d. SCOTLAND.

iv MARGARET STEWART, b. CIRCA 1342, SCOTLAND, d. CIRCA 1410, SCOTLAND.

She married JOHN de YLE, in SCOTLAND, occupation 7th LORD OF THE ISLES.

v ELIZABETH STEWART, b. 1343, SCOTLAND, d. CIRCA 1389, SCOTLAND.

She married THOMAS HAY, 7 Nov 1376, in SCOTLAND, occupation EARL of ERROL.

vi MARJORIE STEWART, b. CIRCA 1344, SCOTLAND, d. 13 Oct 1413, SCOTLAND.

She married (1) JOHN DUNBAR, 11 Jul 1371, in SCOTLAND, occupation 2nd SON OF EARL of MARCH.

She married (2) ALEXANDER KEITH, CIRCA 1391-1403, in SCOTLAND.

7. vii ALEXANDER STEWART b. CIRCA 1345.

viii JANE STEWART, b. CIRCA 1350, SCOTLAND, d. 4 Nov 1382, SCOTLAND.

She married JOHN LYON, 1376, in SCOTLAND.

ix CATHERINE STEWART, b. CIRCA 1362, DUNDONALD, SCOTLAND.

She married DAVID LINDSAY, in SCOTLAND, b. 1359, GLENESK, SCOTLAND, occupation LORD CRAWFORD.

He married (2) EUPHEMIA (of ROSS) LESLIE, 2 May 1355, in SCOTLAND, b. SCOTLAND, (daughter of HUGH EARL OF ROSS and UNKNOWN) occupation QUEEN, d. 1387, SCOTLAND.

EUPHEMIA: Robert II married Euphemia following papal dispensation on 2 May 1355. Euphemia was the widow of John Randolph, Earl of Moray.

Children:

8. x DAVID STEWART b. CIRCA 1356.

xi WALTER STEWART, b. SCOTLAND, occupation EARL OF ATHOLL, d. SCOTLAND.

Walter was Earl of Caithness, on resignation of his niece Euphemia in 1390 and created Earl of Atholl in 1409.

He married MARGARET de BARCLAY, 19 Oct 1378, in SCOTLAND, (daughter of DAVID de BARCLAY).

MARGARET:.

xii ELIZABETH STEWART, b. CIRCA 1362, SCOTLAND.

She married DAVID LINDSAY, 22 Feb 1374, in SCOTLAND.

xiii EDIGIA STEWART, b. CIRCA 1362, SCOTLAND.

She married WILLIAM DOUGLAS, 1387, in SCOTLAND.

Fifth Generation

5. JOHN STEWART, b. 1337, SCOTLAND, occupation KING OF SCOTS (1390-1401), d. 4 Apr 1406, DUNDONALD, AYRSHIRC, SCOTLAND.

John, Earl of Carrick, moved to the throne as Robert III. Robert III was considered a weak ruler. He delegated much of his authority to his brother, Robert, Earl of Fife (later Duke of Albany and Governor of Scotland). In 1393 Robert III decided to resume his responsibilities and relieved his brother of authority. In 1399 Robert III delegated his authority to his eldest son David, Duke of Rothesay. In 1401 David, who had proven himself incompetent to govern & refused to resign at his father's request was arrested and placed in his brother Robert's custody where he died in 1406.

He married ANNABELLA DRUMMOND, CIRCA 1367, in SCOTLAND, (daughter of JOHN (of STOBHALL) DRUMMOND and UNKNOWN) occupation QUEEN, d. 1401, SCOTLAND.

Children:

i DAVID STEWART, b. 24 Oct 1378, SCOTLAND, occupation DUKE OF ROTHESAY, d. 26 Mar 1402, FALKLAND CASTLE, SCOTLAND.

David was Steward of Scotland and Earl of Carrick. He was created Duke of Rothesay on 28 April 1398.

ii ROBERT STEWART.

Robert died a young infant.

9. iii JAMES STEWART I b. 1395.

iv MARGARET STEWART.

She married ARCHIBALD 4TH EARL OF DOUGLAS.

v MARY STEWART, d. 1458, SCOTLAND, buried: 1458, STRATHBLANE CHURCH, SCOTLAND.

She married (1) GEORGE DOUGLAS, 1397, in SCOTLAND.

GEORGE: George was Earl of Angus.

She married (2) JAMES (of DUNURE) KENNEDY, 1404, in SCOTLAND.

She married (3) WILLIAM 1ST LORD OF GRAHAM, 1413, in SCOTLAND.

She married (4) WILLIAM (of DUNTREATH) EDMONSTONE, 1425, in SCOTLAND.

vi EGIDIA STEWART.

vii ELIZABETH STEWART.

She married JAMES DOUGLAS.

JAMES: James was Lord of Dalkeith.

6. ROBERT STEWART, b. CIRCA 1339, SCOTLAND, occupation DUKE OF ALBANY, d. 3 Sep 1420, STERLING CASTLE, SCOTLAND, buried: 1420, DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, FIFE, SCOTLAND.

Robert, Earl of Fife and later Duke of Albany and Goveror of Scotland, was a man of ruthless ambition. His brother Robert III allowed him authority to run the affairs of state until 1393 when King Robert III reassumed his royal responsibilities for the next six years. Robert III then delegated his authority to his eldest son David. In 1401 David had proven to be so incompetent Robert III had him arrested and placed in custody of his brother Robert where he died. His brother the Duke was suspected to be responsible.

He married (1) MARGARET MURDOCK GRAHAM, 9 Sep 1361, in SCOTLAND, b. 1334, SCOTLAND, (daughter of JOHN (of ABERCORN) GRAHAM and MARY Countess of MONTEITH) occupation COUNTESS of MENTIETH, d. 1380, SCOTLAND.

Children:

10. i LADY MARJORY (MARGARET) STEWART b. CIRCA 1360.

11. ii MURDOCK STEWART b. CIRCA 1362.

iii JANET STEWART.

Janet was betrothed on 20 July 1372 as a child to David, infant son of Sir Bartholomew de Leon and Lady Philippa Moubray, but it is doubtful if the marriage took place.

iv MARIA STEWART.

She married WILLIAM (of SALTOUN), d. 14 Sep 1401, SCOTLAND.

v ISOBEL STEWART.

She married (1) ALEXANDER LESLIE.

ALEXANDER: Alexander was Earl of Ross.

She married (2) WALTER (of DIRLETON) HALIBURTON.

He married (2) MURIELLA KEITH, (daughter of WILLIAM KEITH and UNKNOWN).

Children:

12. vi JOHN STEWART.

vii ANDREW STEWART.

viii ROBERT STEWART.

Robert was Earl of Ross while living.

ix MARJORY STEWART.

She married DUNCAN (of LOCHAW) CAMPBELL.

DUNCAN: Duncan was First Lord of Campbell.

7. ALEXANDER STEWART, b. CIRCA 1345, SCOTLAND, occupation EARL of BUCHAN, d. 1 Aug 1405, SCOTLAND.

Alexander was Earl of Buchan. He was also known as "The Wolf."

He married UNKNOWN.

Children:

i MARGARET STEWART, b. CIRCA 1373, SCOTLAND, d. CIRCA 1439, SCOTLAND.

She married ROBERT SUTHERLAND.

8. DAVID STEWART, b. CIRCA 1356, SCOTLAND, occupation EARL PALATINE OF STRATHEARN, d. CIRCA 1389.

David was Earl Palatine of Strathearn and Earl of Caithness.

He married EUPHEME LINDSAY.

Children:

13. i EUPHEMIA STEWART.

Sixth Generation

9. JAMES STEWART I, b. 1395, SCOTLAND, occupation KING OF SCOTS (1406-37), d. 20 Feb 1437, DOMINICAN PRIORY, PERTH, SCOTLAND, buried: 1437, CHURCH OF CHARTERHOUSE OF PERTH.

From the age of eleven to the age of twenty-nine King James I had lived in England, sometimes a prisoner in the Tower and sometimes a participant in the life of the Court. In 1424 he returned to Scotland with his new Queen and set about to restore order and law in his country. Perth became his favorite place of residence. James I fell victim of a conspiracy to put Walter, Earl

of Atholl, the younger son of Euphemia of Ross, on the throne. On 20 Feb.1437 conspirators stabbed James to death in his bedchambers. Executions followed.

He married JOAN BEAUFORT, 1424, in SOUTHWARK CATHEDRAL, b. ENGLAND, occupation QUEEN, d. 1445, SCOTLAND, buried: 1445, CHURCH OF CHARTERHOUSE OF PERTH.

Children:

14. i JAMES STEWART II b. 16--Oct-1430.

ii ALEXANDER STEWART, b. 16 Oct 1430, SCOTLAND.

Alexander was Duke of Rothesay and died in infancy.

iii MARGARET STEWART.

She married LOUIS (of FRANCE) DAUPHIN, 24 Jun 1436, in SCOTLAND.

10. LADY MARJORY (MARGARET) STEWART, b. CIRCA 1360, SCOTLAND.

She married DUNCAN CAMPBELL of LOCHOW, b. SCOTLAND, occupation LORD OF ARGYL.

Children:

15. i SIR COLIN (of GLENURQUBY) CAMPBELL b. CIRCA 1382.

11. MURDOCK STEWART, b. CIRCA 1362, SCOTLAND, occupation 2nd DUKE OF ALBANY, d. 25 May 1425, STERLING, SCOTLAND (BEHEADED), buried: 1425, CHURCH OF THE BLACK FRIARS, STERLING.

When Robert Stewart Duke of Albany died at the age of about eighty-one, his son Murdock Stewart succeeded him as Governor of Scotland. His attempt at governing foundered after four years of futile misrule. In 1424 King James I, his cousin, returned to Scotland after eighteen years of imprisonment in England. Since James I's kingship had been at risk while imprisoned in

England, he did not intend for it to be threatened upon his return to Scotland. In 1425 he ordered Murdock & his two sons beheaded at Sterling.

He married ISABEL of LENNOX, 17 Feb 1391, in SCOTLAND, b. SCOTLAND, (daughter of DUNCAN of LENNOX and HELEN CAMPBELL) occupation COUNTESS OF LENNOX, d. CIRCA 1457, buried: CIRCA 1457, INCHMIRIAH CASTLE, LOCH LOMOND, SCOTLAND.

Children:

i ROBERT STEWART, b. Jul 1421, SCOTLAND, occupation MASTER of FIFE.

16. ii SIR WALTER (of LENNOX) STEWART.

iii SIR ALEXANDER STEWART, b. SCOTLAND, d. 25 May 1425, BEHEADED AT STERLING CASTLE, SCOTLAND.

17. iv JAMES MHOR (of ALBANY) STEWART the GROSS.

18. v ISABELLA STEWART.

vi DAUGHTER.

Descendants of James Mhor Stewart

1. JAMES MHOR (of ALBANY and BALDORRAN) STEWART the GREAT, b. In SCOTLAND, (son of MURDOCK STEWART and ISABEL of LENNOX) occupation 1st of BALDORRAN, d. CIRCA 1451 in IRELAND.

James reacted to his father's execution by leading an attack on Dumbarton, burning it and killing the governor of the castle, John Stewart. He fled to Ireland where he later died. He was ancestor to the Stewarts of Ardvorlich. James and Lady MacDonald were not married.

Partner LADY MACDONALD, began NOT MARRIED in SCOTLAND, (daughter of MARGERY BISSETT and JOHN MHOR (1st EARL of ANTRIM) MACDONALD).

Children:

I ANDREW STEWART, occupation LORD of AVONDALE.

King James II invited Andrew, the eldest son of James, to return to Scotland and was appointed Lord Avondale in 1459.

Ii MURDOCH (of ALBANY) STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.

Iii ARTHUR STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.

2. Iv JAMES BEAG (1st of BALDORRAN) STEWART.

V ROBERT STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.

Vi MATILDA STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.

Vii ALEXANDER STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.

3. Viii WALTER (of MORPHIE) STEWART b. 1440.

Second Generation

2. JAMES BEAG (1st of BALDORRAN) STEWART, b. In IRELAND, occupation 2nd of BALDORRAN.

James returned to Scotland and was accepted and granted the lands of Baldorran by John, Lord Darnley in 1466.

He married ANNABEL BUCHANAN, (daughter of SIR PATRICK BUCHANAN and GALBRAITH).

Children:

I JOHN STEWART, b. CIRCA 1450 in SCOTLAND.

4. Ii WILLIAM (2nd of BALDORRAN) STEWART b. CIRCA 1455.

5. Iii ANDREW (1st of GARTNAFUERAN) STEWART b. CIRCA 1460.

Iv MATILDA STEWART, b. CIRCA 1465 in SCOTLAND.

She married WILLIAM (1st OF CULLODEN AND DUNTREATH) EDMONSTON, b. CIRCA 1425 in , CULLODEN, STRATHBLANE, STERLINGSHIRE, SCOTLAND, d. 1486.

3. WALTER (of MORPHIE) STEWART, b. 1440 in SCOTLAND, occupation KNIGHT OF MORPHY, d. 1513 in SCOTLAND.

Walter was the grandfather of a later, Andrew Stewart, Second Lord Avondale in 1501. From this Andrew came three sons, Andrew Stewart, Third Lord of Avondale, later Lord Ochiltree; Henry Stewart created Lord Methven in 1528; and James Stewart of Beith, father of James, Lord Doune.

He married ELIZABETH ARNOT, b. In SCOTLAND.

Children:

6. I ALEXANDER STUART.

Ii JOHN STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.

Iii GEORGE (of JOHNSTON) STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.

Iv MARGARET STEWART, b. In SCOTLAND.
    kellyd:redrose:
Working...
X