X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farming

Hi all,.

Just a brief note.

My sister attended a funeral of one of our dad's cousins in Bowmanville. Mary happened to sit near a man who had been Eileen's boss when she was with the Ontario Dept of Agriculture back in the fifties and later. Eileen, our cousin, who was 87 this year, also worked in the Ombudsman's office of Ontario during her working life.

Art Bennett ( no relation to S. G.) was the ag rep for Halton and Peel counties at that time and he went around to many farms. He visited in the Ballinfad area. He had/has a farm himself near Bronte and Burlington. I thought it might be of interest to contact him if he had any insights re farming in the Ballinafad area and his experiences there while he was rep. Of course back in those days, there was a lot of representation and clubs etc. re agriculture. Lots of farm magazines also. I know my dad subscribed to a few, and at the noon hour there was always a report on the radio specifically re farm news. Hog futures? Does anybody remember these?

Mary said Art Bennett visited Scotsdale once to do judging of the 4H Club steers.Apparently Dad told him how to place them. Sounds like Dad! I'm not sure how many kids would have belonged to
    4H Clubs near Ballinafad. The Erin Fall Fair was always a big deal...still is, I guess.

Janice Treciokas
Working...
X