Weather forecasting by cloud formations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather forecasting by cloud formations

Came across this yesterday, and found it an interesting addition to weather forecasting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14248915

I wonder if there is more detailed information on this aspect of forecasting the weather.

Ranald

Re: Weather forecasting by cloud formations

The article was interesting. I thought it somewhat odd that many cloud types associated with rain in the UK are only seen in fall, winter, and spring in the rocky mountain front range and are associated with snow showers.

Comment

Hey...Ranald, I've seen & taken pictures of the stratocumulus clouds lit from below, by the setting sun, of course, facing west.

However, I have never seen the bands of clouds like those above a town in the slide. Quite interesting, & glad you brought it to our attention. Joan
      Last edited by FriedaKateM; 31 July 2011, 22:45. Reason: left out 2 letters, very tired!!

Comment

2012 October 05

Summer is definitely over for the Central Rocky Mountain Front Range. I was up at 3:00 am and greeted by snow. The weather forcast is for snow through Saturday evening. My trees will love it.

Comment

I attach 4 photo of clouds, taken when at Bunree (just south from Fort William) when on caravan holidays.

Photos 81z and 84z taken on 12/09/2008 and 41zand 44z 12/09/2009.

I also attach a User Guide (pdf) to clouds which may be elementary but helpful.

I have not yet been able to print this out in booklet form !!

Ranald
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X