Rewarding experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewarding experience

Fostered a dog from a N.Y.C. shelter this past week. A neighbor had offered to foster but when the animal arrived so sick, emaciated, with kennel cough, he did not want his dogs infected and I offered. It was lovely to see her fill out and recover with a very pleasant disposition surfacing.

But sad to say, she is probably one of the few mixed breeds making it out of the northern shelters. A dog trade of purebreds from the puppy mills in the south has lured any interested in adopting. And, greed has reared its ugly head with some of the rescue groups involved making it a money-making enterprise with the adoption fees.

It is my understanding Connecticut is taking steps to stop the criminal element requiring health records, vaccinations, and neutering for any dog entering the state. Other states will probably follow. Hopefully it will mean more will be adopted from local shelters.

Re: Rewarding experience

Hi Lizzie,

It's not an isolated problem. It happens quite frequently in Australia.........check this out.

What can be done to end puppy farming?
    RSPCA Australia considers puppy farming to be a significant national animal welfare issue. To attempt to address puppy farming at a national level, RSPCA Australia released a Discussion Paper on the issue in January 2010. We received over 100 responses which were used to help develop a document presenting a potential way forward to end puppy farming in Australia. In August 2010, RSPCA Australia convened a meeting involving a number of key stakeholders to work through the draft document.

The resulting document - End Puppy Farming - The Way Forward - presents a series of problems, desired outcomes and recommended ways forward which, if implemented, would bring a complete end to puppy farming in Australia.

Read on for all the article.. http://www.rspca.org.au/how-you-can-...ppy-farms.html

Then read this one...................

Think puppy-mills don't happen in Australia?
    article listed on 02 September 2007

More than 70 mistreated and sick chihuahuas have been seized by RSPCA inspectors in a raid on a property in south-east Queensland.

RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said the owner, from Biggenden, west of Maryborough, has previous convictions for animal mistreatment.

Mr Beatty said the man was now likely to face charges under the Animal Care and Protection Act (2001).

"Several dogs had to be put down because of health and injury issues," he said.

"The majority were in reasonable condition, although in deplorable living conditions.

"It's basically a situation of failing to provide adequate living conditions and failing to provide veterinary care."

Mr Beatty said the RSPCA shelter at Fairfield, in Brisbane's south, was feeling the strain of a number of mass raids.

"This is the third lot of over 50 dogs we have had in a month, which puts a huge strain on our resources," he said.

"In the last month, because of raids of this nature, animal hoarding or puppy farms, we have had to take in over 180 dogs and puppies.

"We have to feed all these animals and they all require veterinary care, so this all costs money."

http://www.petrescue.com.au/informat...er_doggies/455

Comment

Well, Gordon, you got my dander up with that response. All very sickening!. But, it would be really great if Australia creates a national approach to the problem. That would be difficult here. In discussion on the issue, a friend suggested selecting the worst states and targeting their major industries with a boycott of their products.

The considered Australian approach to a national license should result in a successful reduction of the puppy mills. But, I think, cruelty proven should result in the best deterrent - a taste of the culprit's modus operandi - confinement behind bars. Of course, if I could get my hands on them I would be inclined to get an iron and scorch a suitable sign on the XXXX brow!!! :wink:

Comment

Hello again, Gordon.

I was thinking about the other side of the coin. The call made by the volunteers to my neighbor was the last of many on the dog hoping that he would agree to take her because she was scheduled to be euthanized that night. The woman drove sixty miles from the city to deliver her. That kind of dedication to save as many animals possible is awe inspiring.

Comment

Lizzie,
          Your post reminded me of what happened with our dog about 20 years ago. We were on holiday in Queenslands Gold Coast with our 2 boys aged 18 & 14 at the time. We'd arranged for the sister of a friend of my youngest to go around, feed our dog & play with him for a while each day.
          Somehow he got out of our back yard and the girl was very upset as he was missing. We all sat & cried when he'd been gone for a few days without being sighted and were preparing ourselves for the worst when we got home. 2 days before we were due home I told the young girl to leave the back gate open in case the dog came back as I thought he may have tried to come home but couldn't get in.
          Turned out that I was right & it was the best thing I could have told her to do.
          We drew into our driveway in a taxi from the airport and there was Mac at the gate waiting for us.
          He had turned up the day before and both our neighbours had spied him in the back yard and raced around to shut the gate so he wouldn't get back out again.
          It was so funny because I thought he must have been starving and fed him straight away but he didn't eat it. Turned out that BOTH our neighbours had fed him....:smile::smile:
          But we had to take him to the vet the next day as he had a bad kennel cough and it looked as though his tail had been broken???? We never found out what had happened to him but he lived until he was nearly 17 which was about 10 years later.

Elda

Comment

Hello Elda:

You really don't realize what a big slice of your heart they have captured until you lose them. I don't wish to sound maudlin, and probably do, but I have taken a hammering recently. Two years ago I had eight, five cats, three dogs, all rescues. I lost seven of them, all but one to old age. One of the cats made twenty-one. The inevitability is sad but tolerable. But the last to go went much too young. I lost my beautiful shepherd, Charlie, to bone cancer at age six. Went through the process of amputation, and chemo but it got to his lungs and I had to make the hard decision on May 24. I am having a hard time coming to grips with the loss - he was such a special pup.

Comment

Hello Lizzie

Yes, having been there, I fully understand your emotions....... 'They' give so much, and ask for so 'little'.

Ranald

Comment

I've had two dogs die, one loved most, an Airedale named Lacey. She died at 11, & that one was devastating. I'd thought that IF I got another puppy, when she was 7 years old, that it would soften the blow. But it didn't. Luckily, my neighbor & his son came over, & aided in digging her grave. It was in August.

Then my little Jack Russell, Cleo, at the age of 15 years, evidently had some kind of a stroke one night, out in the mud in her yard, & managed to pull herself back into her cubby, I gave her pain meds all night, animal kind. Then the next day, after calling ahead, I, with friend's help, me holding her, went down to the vet's, & had her put down, as I was holding her when this was done. Very difficult. We came home & buried her out near Lacey.

I have my two cat boys Rennie & Duncan, & I walk around thinking what would I do, if one of them died? Hopefully we have many years of affection ahead! Joan :redrose:

Comment

Thanks for commiserating. I always try to concentrate on the good life I gave to each. Keep that in mind, Joan. When I lost Brucie, my previous shepherd, it took me six months to get over that loss. Never thought another dog could match up to him but along came Charlie. He was one big fellow clocking in around 120 lbs, his back (not his shoulders0) was higher than the kitchen table, and he was one big gentle soul. He was boundary trained as my yard is not fenced. I was out one day with him and he was running around doing his thing. A new neighbor came into the yard to introduce herself with a baby on her hip, dragging a two year old, and a four year old running ahead. Charlie's response was 'People to say hello' and he started at a fast trot to the child running ahead. She spotted this humongous animal approaching and froze, petrified. I shouted, "Charlie, gentle." He came to a full stop several yards from her then very slowly approached and towering over her gently licked her cheek. It was beautiful. That was my Charlie.

But he had a little bit of the devil in him. I remember standing talking to a female neighbor. He crept up behind us and goosed her right in the crack much to her amusement at his big grin. Several days later, I was relating this story to Lisa, our mail lady. Charlie loved her and always rushed to get a toy for her to throw. Well, wouldn't you know he crept up behind her and really goosed her in the crack with her noticeable jerk forward. She howled with laughter at the grin from ear to ear and the devilish glint in his eye as he trotted past. Obviously he was fully understanding the content of the conversation and decided to pull his prank again.

Thanks for reading and letting me blather on. Grand memo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	681.0 KB
ID:	23506Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	681.0 KB
ID:	23506

ries do help. Here's a pic. of my boy

Comment