• Show
Clear All

• Korea---"The Forgotten War"

History Channel: The Korean War - in Colour pt. 1/6 [history documentary]

The Korean War - in Colour pt. 2/6

all parts on youtube.

Re: Korea---"The Forgotten War"

British Army in Korea

The Korean War is a war that started between North Korea (Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea, DPRK) and South Korea (Republic of Korea, ROK) on 25 June 1950 and paused with an armistice signed 27 July, 1953. To date, the war has not been officially ended through treaty, and occasional skirmishes have been reported in the border region.

The Korean peninsula was politically divided as a legacy of the geopolitics of defeating the Japanese Empire on the peninsula in 1945. Soviet forces fighting the Japanese advanced up to the 38th Parallel, which later became the political border between the two Koreas. Despite talks in the months preceding open warfare, continual cross-border skirmishes and raids at the 38th Parallel, and the political frustration of failed all-Korea elections in 1948, escalated to warfare.[31] The reunification negotiations ceased when North Korea invaded South Korea on 25 June 1950.[32]

The United States and the United Nations intervened on the side of the South. After a rapid UN counteroffensive that repelled North Koreans past the 38th Parallel and almost to the Yalu River, the People's Republic of China (PRC) came to the aid of the North.[33] With the PRC's entry into the conflict, the fighting ceased with an armistice that restored the original border between the Koreas at the 38th Parallel and created the Korean Demilitarized Zone, a 2.5 mile wide buffer zone between the two Koreas. North Korea unilaterally withdrew from the armistice on 27 May 2009, thus returning to a de facto state of war; as of this date, no conflicts have erupted.[34]

During the war, both North and South Korea were sponsored by external powers, thus facilitating the war's metamorphosis from a simple civil war to a proxy war between power involved in the larger Cold War.

From a military science perspective, the Korean War combined strategies and tactics of World War I and World War II — swift infantry attacks followed air bombing raids. The initial mobile campaign transitioned to trench warfare, lasting from January 1951 until the 1953 border stalemate and armistice.

Comment

My Dad, who, I believe, was a Captain in the USAF at the time, served at Taegu in S. Korea. He was gone when I was in the 5th grade, as I can remember going up to the teacher's desk, & talking about him. Soooo...that was when I was about 10-11. I remember as well, his being in Okinawa when I was about 4-5 yrs old. (we were in Rantoul, Illinois then)

However, my father did not get any recognition for his Korean service, until he was in a nursing home, in a wheelchair. I remember his wearing a Korean war vet baseball cap, & he got some kind of a paper. Am not sure IF by that time, it meant anything much to him!!! Day late, and a dollar short! Joan

Comment

The lack of recognition of your father's contributions is inescusable Joan. Sometime the opposite is just as bad. My father received an award from the Air Force during the Korean war because of his contribution to his squadron's morale. They provided maintenance to a squadron of A36 invadors. What he did to boost morale on his base was to take a section of quonset material, bolt it to the center section and pull out the bottem to fit a full length bar inside a maintenance building. The result was a happy bunch of pilots, flight crew and mechanics.

Comment

The Story of Reckless, a Mongolian mare drafted into the U.S. Marines during the Korean war.

Comment

UNABLE to watch these 2 previous videos on this site. Will go into YouTube to see if they're "up" on there. However, I was ABLE to watch the video about Reckless the horse posted by Miolchu. Thanks! Joan

Comment

Working...
            X