Digital game for 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital game for 2014

A student from the University of Abertay Dundee has struck gold by winning a Scottish Government competition to produce a digital game based on the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Students bidding to make a name for themselves in Scotland's games development sector were invited to submit a game concept which aligned with the ideals of the Commonwealth Games and the Glasgow 2014 brand.

The winning design is called 'Your Moment' by 21-year-old Abertay student William Rountree who receives a cash prize of £2,014 and, of equal importance, the opportunity to work with professional games development firm 4JStudios - who won the contract to transform his winning concept into a working game.

The game is now on the Glasgow 2014 website, free-to-play, and available to people across the Commonwealth and the world.

Commonwealth Games Minister Shona Robison said:

"This competition has been a unique opportunity to combine the creativity and flair of students in Scotland with the skill of our world-renowned games development sector and the excitement and passion prompted by the Commonwealth Games coming to Scotland in 2014.

"Unsurprisingly, concepts of a high calibre were submitted and I congratulate William on his win. William has worked with professionals from Dundee's internationally renowned digital gaming industry, which employs around 650 people, to turn his vision into a reality. I'm sure the end result will capture the imagination of sports enthusiasts and game fans alike.

"This is the perfect springboard for Scotland to stamp its innovative character on the 2014 Commonwealth Games and further raise the profile of our digital economy. Work continues to ensure these Games are an amazing experience for both Glasgow and Scotland. This competition contributes to our efforts to maximise the long term benefits of the Games by encouraging talent and forging links between education and industry."

Glasgow 2014 Chairman Lord Smith said:

"The Commonwealth Games are a terrific vehicle for celebrating positive qualities of a country so I think it's very fitting that the Scottish Government is able to showcase Scotland's stellar reputation for computer game development as part of the preparations for Glasgow 2014.

"William is obviously a very talented young man. I was very impressed with his initial concept and seeing the finished article here today is very pleasing. I wish him all the very best for the future and hope people from across the Commonwealth and the World enjoy playing this fantastic digital game on the Glasgow 2014 website."

William, who hails from County Armagh, said:

"It's great to see the Scottish Government embracing its video game industry and game development students with this unique competition to help promote the Commonwealth Games. I still can't quite believe I actually won! However, I have had an amazing experience working with the team at 4JStudios and seeing my design develop, change and become a reality. It has given me great insight into the development process in a real studio environment, experience which will be very useful when looking for a job upon completing my course. It wouldn't have been possible for me to achieve this if it wasn't for the help of the incredibly talented staff at Abertay University and also the support from all my friends and family."

Councillor Archie Graham, Executive Member for the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow City Council, said:

"The Digital Game presented a very modern challenge to our students to create something that underlines the creativity and innovation that Glasgow and Scotland will showcase at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. I am sure many people will enjoy this game, one that will heighten even further our anticipation for the Games. I would like to congratulate William on winning this competition, and wish him well for the future."

Michael Cavanagh, Chairman, Commonwealth Games Scotland said:

"Many of our athletes spend a lot of their downtime playing digital games, especially when travelling abroad to competitions. I am sure they will be particularly proud that a new game has been developed that is about sport and the Commonwealth Games. t is great to see that our sporting talent, which will be showcased in Glasgow 2014, is so well complemented by the talent and innovation of such an important business sector in Scotland as digital games development."

Dr Louis Natanson, who leads computer games education at Abertay University, said:

"We're delighted that William won this contest to design a game for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and that Dundee-based 4JStudios have brought his ideas to life. The Games will be a fabulous showcase for Scotland, so it's very fitting that our world-leading creative talents are the forefront of promoting this international sporting occasion. Abertay University's graduates at right at the centre of the new emerging digital industries - talented students like William are exactly what Scotland needs to thrive."

http://www.glasgow2014.com/
Working...
X