History of Saskatchewan and The Old North West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Saskatchewan and The Old North West

I added this history today and yet again it is amazing how many Scots were influential in the building of this Province.

You can get to this history at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...sask/index.htm

Alastair

Re: History of Saskatchewan and The Old North West

Thanks Alastair, this is a real treasure. I'm descended from the well-capitalized agricultural Scots who set up massive horse and grain farming operations in southeastern Saskatchewan in the 1890s, so can agree with your observation about their influence. There is still a great need to research and record this aspect of prairie settlement, but I'm doing what little I can as time permits. If not for needing to make a living, I'd have much more time for this more interesting work!

Comment

That's in part why I am building this new Canadian site as you simply can't follow the history of Canada without being made aware of just how much the Scots contributed to the country.

I am certainly fortunate to be able to work full time on tracing there histories.

I am working on various fronts but aim to have histories up of all the Canadian Provinces. I have also acquired the 21 volume set of the makers of Canada which will all go up eventually. I've found great information on the First Nations. But it's going to take a few years to get this site to where I want it to go but am having a lot of fun building it.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Al, yes we Scots have popped up all over the place.
        I was in Yellowknife NWT at the end of July. When there I met two ladies of with Scottish heritage.
        Both are 'native' ladies but are proud of their Scottish heritage.
        One lady, a "black Douglas" told me the tale of her grandfather. He graduated as a doctor from Edinburgh Uni but apparently decided on a different career. He left Scotland moved to the "North" and became the Post Man who travelled in all conditions between Edmonton and "points North".

The other lady asked me if the name "Camsell" meant anything to me but it did not. She told me that was the name of one of her ancestors. She also told me that they had come to Canada and then left but returned and called themselves "Onions". I am not sure if there are any Scottish connections (as she thinks) but there is certainly a very famous person with the name Camsell - Charles Camsell and he was very important in the development of the North.
        Both ladies are members of the Dogrib Clan - Tlicho Nation - and one of the old names of their capital is RAE.
        Dr. James Rae was a Scotsman who actually did discover the North West Passage. His reputation was 'blackened' by Lady Franklin because he was the person who brought back tales of possible cannibalism...

The North is full of tales of Scotsmen so you have your hands full with this part of the site.

Sandy

Comment

Well I'm more than happy to follow up any leads Sandy and I'll be looking at trying to get pictures from each province. That's why I'm keen on getting this trip to Quebec as I'll be able to take lots of my own pictures.

I've just started to work on "Over the top with the 25th" who fought at Vimy Ridge.

I'm essentially trying to get something decent up for each section of the site as early as possible but this will be months and years of work to do it right.

Alastair

Comment

While in Quebec, maybe you could investigate the start of square dancing Alastair. I believe it started from Scottish country dancing. Hence many of the square dancing terms are in French 'dosido' for example.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hi Al,
              I do not think you will have too many language problems in Quebec City. I find the people there very friendly, much more so than the Montrealers.
              make sure you get the Plains of Abraham, they are not called that any more!!!

The battle for Canada only lasted about 10 or 15 minutes if I remember correctly. The memorial to Wolfe was vandalised the time I was there but maybe that is not the case this time. Also make sure you go down into the Old Town right down on the river.
              It all feels very European and is a great place to visit
              Sandy

Comment

I'll be there for some 10 days Sandy so hoping to see much of the area... am really looking forward to going. I'm really treating this as a wee holiday so certainly aim to try out some of the local restaurants.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                X