X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Colorado Cat Found in New York City

Reuters in New York
    guardian.co.uk, Thursday 15 September 2011 02.30 EDT Article history

Willow has now been reunited with her owners in Colorado.

A cat that went missing in Colorado five years ago was found wandering in Manhattan, and will soon be sent on a plane to reunite it with its former owners, an animal pound spokesman said.

Workers at the pet shelter traced Willow the cat back to a family in Colorado, thanks to a microchip embedded in the animal's neck that they checked with a scanner, said Richard Gentles, spokesman for Animal Care & Control of New York City.

A concerned citizen found the brown, black and white cat prowling the streets in east Manhattan, and the animal was taken to the shelter.

Animal care workers do not know who was taking care of the cat, but Gentles said one thing is certain – the pet did not travel halfway across the country on its own.

"The cat was in very good condition, clean, a little chunky," Gentles said. "So obviously someone was taking care of her."

Willow belongs to a Colorado family called the Squires, and the animal apparently ran away five years ago during a home renovation project, Gentles said.

Animal Care plans to soon fly the cat back to the Squires, after the animal passes a required screening test for communicable disease and to make sure it is healthy enough to travel, Gentles said.

This middle aged cat is a black, white, & orange calico kitty, as I was unable to post the picture w/article. Joan

Re: Missing Colorado Cat Found in New York City

Hi Joan,
    Great story, here is a link to a photograph of "Willow"

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...-found-007.jpg

There are many more images in various poses out there..............just go to "Google Images" and type in ..Willow colorado Cat.. and there are many to view.

Also a link to the " New York Times" article which has a 'click on' enlargeable photograph...............

A calico cat named Willow, who disappeared from a home near the Rocky Mountains five years ago, was found on Wednesday on a Manhattan street and will soon be returned to her family, where two of the three children and one of the two dogs may remember her.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/15/ny...manhattan.html

Comment

Hey Joan,
      What a fantastic story. So glad that she made it safely to Manhattan. And the best part is that someone took really good care of her. I do realize that the "someone" will miss her, but they did a great deed.

Comment

To All: Ever since I posted this, I've seen it on every site I've gone to, the news ones, & others. I guess that being she was gone so long & was so far away from her home, that this was great news for all kinds of people.

I did a total kitchen renovation myself, with contractor & his help, back in Dec./Jan. And I made it clear to the guys working that they had to watch out for the two cat boys. Once I was talking to a fellow who was campaigning for a county council seat, & as I was absorbed in talking with him, unbeknownst to me, my cat Rennie sneaked out the open door. I didn't even see him!

Six hours later, I suddenly realized he was not around the inner part of the house, & I looked all over. I walked out on the front porch, switching on the light as I did so. A cat colored like Ren was lying on the Adirondack chair, which is a favorite of feral cats, too. He slipped off, & ran. I got suited up for the chase, & found him sitting on a foundation place, near to the outer wall to bathroom. Of course, when I got close, he ran.

He ran under my car, & I had a cane with me, which helps to poke kitties out of weird places. He then ran to the barn, & I brought cat cookies with me, telling him, if he'd cooperate, I'd give him some. I am truly not sure how I did it, but I leapt & threw myself somehow, catching him in flight. Now that's not easy.....some of you guys need to try it!! At any rate, I got him back, & scolded him for being a bad cat, etc., but I did give him some cookies. Cats are much more than they appear to be. These guys are real characters! Sorry to go on so....Joan

Comment

Working...
        X