Rivers of ice: Vanishing glaciers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers of ice: Vanishing glaciers

An eye opener on the BBC, from the Royal Geographic Society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15216875

Global warming, whether by natural progress or man made is here, and I am of the opinion that there is nothing we can do to stop it.

The amount of 'slowing down' that we can try and do, makes little effect on the natural progress.

Ranald

Re: Rivers of ice: Vanishing glaciers

Hi Ranald,
    I agree that there really is very little that countries such as Scotland can make to the overall picture. As long as China, India and others continue to "develop" the paltry contribution that we make to the greenhouse gases and associated 'savings' will continue to be meaningless.
    Meanwhile we continue to have the Scottish Government taking us down a road to the dark ages - and we are paying huge amounts of money to foreign companies for the privilege.
    I sometimes wonder if Salmond and crew are getting some "paybacks" somehow...

Sandy

Comment

Hey,
      Global Warming is happening. Unfortunately here in the US, most Republicans refuse to truly admit it as it would cost their main political base to be unhappy!! (As in not making as much money) Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
        Hi Ranald,
        I agree that there really is very little that countries such as Scotland can make to the overall picture. As long as China, India and others continue to "develop" the paltry contribution that we make to the greenhouse gases and associated 'savings' will continue to be meaningless.
        Meanwhile we continue to have the Scottish Government taking us down a road to the dark ages - and we are paying huge amounts of money to foreign companies for the privilege.
        I sometimes wonder if Salmond and crew are getting some "paybacks" somehow...

Sandy
        I don't go along with the excuse that if the big boys aren't doing it, then neither should we. It just takes someone to set the ball rolling. As all parents say to their kids "Would you jump off a cliff if your pal was doing it?"

Elda

Comment

I am not making not an excuse Elda. But our piddly little effort will not make any difference and it is costing us a fortune. And most of the money is not staying in Scotland. Never mind the impact of these bloody great inefficient and ineffective Wind farms have on the "eye" - tourism will be affected and that is a big money earner that appears (to me) to be getting ignored.
          Yes if everyone and I mean everyone bought into the reductions then an impact will be made,.
          Much better if we planted trees and absorbed the Carbon Dioxide and produced Oxygen. Pine trees will grow in really poor soil and there are many rapidly growing forms of them.
          I do not know what Australia is doing but when we we hit with huge price increases to subsidise "white elephants" then I get more than just annoyed.
          Sandy

Comment

Just 2 days ago our federal government passed an Act to introduce a carbon tax. A lot of people have been saying (according to the news media) pretty much the same thing you said that, we're too small to make any difference yaka, yaka. In fact, per head of population we're apparently the worst polluters in the world. In fact, when you talk to people directly (friends, neighbours, even strangers), most people concede that we have to try to do something, however small it may seem.
            In my opinion, most of the pollution and problems caused by it started long before we were born, during the industrial revolution. Some of it is, or has been caused by natural disasters.
            Scotland used to be covered by dense forest until about 10,000 years ago when a volcanic eruption in Iceland caused a disastrous change in climate probably for a number of years, long enough to kill off a lot of the trees.
            Here in Australia almost all the the rain forest areas in NSW have disappeared due to the advancement of humans building homes, planting crops, chopping down trees, etc. without replacing what we've used.

Elda

Comment

Working...
            X