On-board the UK's first overnight sleeper coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-board the UK's first overnight sleeper coach

Stagecoach are offering a lower cost of overnight travel in a road coach, than British Rail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15392845

My comment being that the beds are fore and aft, and would help when vehicle was applying the brakes. However side to side movement of the vehicle, might be a problem. The video does not say if passenger restraining belts are fitted.

The railway sleeper coaches have beds side to side, but the application of the brakes is much less than a road vehicle.

Ranald

Re: On-board the UK's first overnight sleeper coach

Why would anyone need a sleeper on coach or rail in the UK? Even 40 years ago, when the roads weren't as good as they are now, you could easily drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh to London in 6 hours.

Elda

Comment

Hi Elda,
      that's a long journey for people here. It's all about perception...

Anyway the 'sleepers' run overnight so there is nothing to see on the route, so why not have a kip.

Sandy

Comment

6 hours ! I don't think so.... 400 miles at 60+ mph with no stops...... and that is motorway driving.

Ranald

Comment

Ranald, I liked seeing that about the sleeper bus. Many years ago, my father & his wife (my stepmother), used to travel on a bus called The Nightcrawler. Now, not sure IF UK people know what that means....but we can pick up nightcrawlers in our back yards!!! They are pretty large worms!!! Although, here in SE Indiana, I haven't seen any of the nightcrawlers, but have seen red worms in the soil.

When I was a child, we did a lot of fishing, & my brother & I used to go out at night, with flashlights, & snatch up nightcrawlers, putting them into a can with dirt in it, so we could use them to fish. I used to have to pinch one in two, as they are kind of large to put on a hook!

I believe that the bus my dad & wife went on, was something related to church trips, & I can remember their complaining about the tight quarters!. Thanks for posting. Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
            6 hours ! I don't think so.... 400 miles at 60+ mph with no stops...... and that is motorway driving.

Ranald
            We've done it 3 or 4 times Ranald. From Cumbernauld to London airport in around 6 hours and we did stop for a short break. One time we were stil in London at 4pm and reached Cumbernauld just after 10pm.

Elda

Comment

Working...
            X