A question about annual leave in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about annual leave in the USA

I was just reading a (fiction) book where the characters live and work in New York city. It said in the book that if they didn't take their annual leave every year then they lose it.....in other words it's not cumulative. Is this common in the USA?

Elda

Re: A question about annual leave in the USA

With some variation, many employers have policies regarding how much annual leave an employee can accumulate. For example, my employer has a cap of around 328 hours (14 days). When I was in the military we lost any leave accumulated in excess of 60 days. Other employers have other policies with variable time that can be accumulated.

I think the reason is to protect the employer should the employee leave employment as in the U.S. most employers pay the employee for accumulated annual leave upon separation from employment.

Comment

When I retired from Community Mental Health Center, in Lawrenceburg, IN, USA, I had accumulated "paid time off". I was given a check for that amount. I had then, eventually, gone back to work part-time, & when I stopped again, I got a smaller check this time. Joan PS: Guess it depends on the employer!!! And who knows what it's like NOW!!

Comment

I was a bit shocked when I read it as it would be illegal here in Australia. All annual leave is accrued here (except if you are a casual worker) but some employers have rules about how much you can accrue and make you take leave if you go over the level. Casual workers are paid 20% more than the base rate to cover for annual leave & sick entitlements.

Elda

Comment

Working...
        X