No announcement yet.

Navy work lost in independent Scotland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy work lost in independent Scotland.

This sounds like the typical case of 'Political Blackmail'
    It makes one wonder how many other "Rabbits" they will pull out of a hat to deny a legitimate vote.

Navy work lost in independent Scotland

15 November 2011

An independent Scotland could lose deals to maintain and repair Royal Navy ships, the Government said today.

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond warned that should electors vote 'Yes' in an independence referendum planned by the Scottish National Party, dockyards north of the border could miss out on contracts to work on British warships, threatening jobs.

Mr Hammond's comments came at defence questions in the Commons after Labour MP Thomas Docherty (Dunfermline and West Fife) said: "My constituency of Rosyth does the refitting both for the current (aircraft) carriers and it is expected to do the refitting for future carriers.

"Will you confirm that if there was a separate Scotland the Ministry of Defence would have to look again at the long-term refitting options for our aircraft carriers?"

The Defence Secretary told MPs: "It is unlikely HM Forces would wish to use facilities in a fully-independent Scotland in the way they would wish to use facilities within the United Kingdom."

.........COMMENT [mine] . Same highly skilled work force, quality faciities and familiarity with the task, what possible reason would there be to change?????????

It appears obvious that the "Defence Secretary" [for wont of a better term] is still operating at the intelligence level of a 10 year old child.

http://www.bfbs.com/news/scotland/na...and-53452.html

Re: Navy work lost in independent Scotland.

I don't see why the English would have to use Scottish services.
    We either become INDEPENDENT or we DON'T. Straight choice as far as I see it.
    Of course if independence does happen then there would be nothing to stop Scottish companies competing in a open market place for work...
    Last time all of this stuff existed we had the Darien experience which led to Union.
    The English may just become as 'bloody minded'.
    Sandy

Comment

Would part of the British Navy become Scottish? and wouldn't they use Scottish shipyards?

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Any of the papers I've seen on Scots Independence does call for a Scottish navy. In part it would be needed to protect Scottish waters. We do have appropriae ports for the navy and ship building facilities.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X