Burness, Burns of Kincardineshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burness, Burns of Kincardineshire

What a shock I got yesterday when my mother asked me to verify one of our lines. A William Burns from Kincardineshire... It seems he was the brother to our Robbie Burns!

I have verified it through the Scottish Genealogy Society and yes it does correspond with the records! I'll BE!
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Burness, Burns of Kincardineshire

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
    What a shock I got yesterday when my mother asked me to verify one of our lines. A William Burns from Kincardineshire... It seems he was the brother to our Robbie Burns!

I have verified it through the Scottish Genealogy Society and yes it does correspond with the records! I'll BE!
    Hi, Kelly,

Sorry this is a late response, but I've only just seen your original post!

As far as I know, although Robbie Burns had a brother called William, he was born in Ayrshire (31 July 1767 in Mount Oliphant, Ayr) & eventually died in London (24 July 1790 in London, & was buried in St Mary le Strand, London).

Accordingly, I would be surprised if he was ever referred to as "William Burns from Kincardineshire", since I don't believe that he ever went there!

I wonder if you actually got one of Robbie's other relatives (since he had quite a few "Williams" in his extended family), e.g.:-

Robbie's Father (born on 11 November 1721 in Glenbervie, Kincardineshire & died on 13 February 1784 in Lochlie, Tarbolton, Ayrshire).
    Robbie's Gt Uncle, brother of Grandfather (b. c 1688, d. a 1757)
    Robbie's Gt Gt Uncle, brother of Gt Grandfather (b. 3 Sep 1645, d. 1715)

Incidentally, I obtained all of the above information from a Canadian-based Web-Site:- www.burness.ca

Hope this helps!
    Best wishes,
    John

Edited for a typo!

Comment

Hi John,

Thank you for answering this post. I had forgotten this line. When I look back at Genealogy, the Burness (Burns) was a bit earlier as in around 1757-60. The information I had read was wrong. This is the Burns who was killed at Ft Donnelly along with another of my ancestors, Alexander Ochiltree.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi John,

Thank you for answering this post. I had forgotten this line. When I look back at Genealogy, the Burness (Burns) was a bit earlier as in around 1757-60. The information I had read was wrong. My ancestor was the Burns who was killed at Ft Donnelly along with another of my ancestors, Alexander Ochiltree.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X