Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Open Letter to Gillard and Abbott.From an Australian Grandmother.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter to Gillard and Abbott.From an Australian Grandmother.

First an explanation to all overseas readers. Gillard (Labor) is Australia’s Prime Minister, and Abbott (Liberal/National) is the Leader of the Opposition.
    Following is a letter to Gillard and Abbott from Mrs Jenny Bell, a 65 year old retired nurse who lives in the Barossa Valley in South Australia. Jenny has been an activist for our War Veterans since 2007 in their fight for proper and fair indexation. She firmly believes that we owe them, and this country owes them.
    Jenny is a mother and stepmother of five children and a grandmother of seven children, who is very worried about what is happening in this country. She says that she will remain an activist for as long as she is above ground, because what she sees happening in this country is not what she wants to leave for her children and grandchildren to inherit.

This seems to put into words what I – and I am sure, many others of the silent majority – think! If it doesn't worry you what Jenny writes, then nothing will

And now, Jenny Bell’s letter to Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott.

You BOTH worry me! (In fact, both of your Political parties worry the hell out of me!) Over the last three years, I find myself becoming more and more fearful of the pair of you and between you, you are turning this country, into a place that I no longer feel at home in or feel a part of !

I watch you in parliament and no, not just the two of you, but every politician that I see, stand up in parliament sneering at each other and acting like children!!! (And if you were my children, I would be ashamed of you all, what an example to set!) Although you would like us all to believe, that you are putting the needs of this country at the forefront, NEITHER of you are doing that, you seem more interested in "one-upmanship", in scoring off each other and denigrating each other, to the detriment of this country and it's people!!!

It seems to be all about YOU as individuals and not about what you can DO for this country! It is fast becoming a place that I do not recognize as the place I always thought was the best place in the world to be!!! But no longer!!!

You are not listening to the people of this country!!!
    And here in South Australia, your counterparts, are afflicted with the same disease, is it endemic in all politicians?
    I am watching the deterioration of living standards in this country (and according to you, on a world stage we are doing better than most countries ...REALLY???)...and yet the gap is widening between the" haves" and the "have-not's ", I see our homeless on the streets, our hospitals under funded and understaffed, our health system is an absolute mess and a disgrace ...and yet I see multi millions of dollars being sent off shore, in aid to other countries, before attending to this country's needs!! I see the "selling off of the farm", in large amounts, to foreign interests, (In every state) including water rights to foreign interests too - and WHY?

Especially when you go to great lengths to tell us, that water is a finite resource and supposedly, we must ALL be careful with how we use it, so that we ensure we have it for the future?

Foreign interests "Fracking" for coal seam gas and riding rough shod over farmer's rights to their own land AND USING QUESTIONABLE CHEMICALS, (You don't even KNOW what chemicals they use) and possibly causing damage to the water table in the process!!!

And those foreign interests, I believe, do NOT have to pay anything in royalties, back to this country, for the first five years of their tenure … IS THIS CORRECT???

A Carbon Tax, (which you KNOW is just another tax) and which will make NO appreciable difference, to carbon emissions AT ALL! A tax, which in spite of all your arguments FOR it, you are doing alone, when other major countries will NOT and DO NOT embrace it, or believe in it!!

All that will do for this country is put working families and small businesses behind the eight ball.... what planet are you on, if you think that your few hundred dollars a year, will make even a scrap of difference to the effect of the carbon tax on people? Blind Freddy can see the holes in that argument!!!! Do you really think we are that dumb????

The CONVOY OF NO CONFIDENCE was real!!! ...and I haven't spoken to even ONE person, who would not have liked to be there if they could, but the tyranny of distance and /or work, was the only thing that kept them away, (myself included) …and you KNOW that only a part of the convoy was actually allowed to be in front of Parliament house and ON VIEW ...the rest were streets away, unreported by the media!!

For Mr Albanese to stand up in parliament and call it "THE CONVOY OF NO CONSEQUENCE "in his sneering tone, shows just how out of touch with the people of Australia , you really are!!!! WE WOULD HAVE ALL, LIKED TO BE THERE!!!

DEFENCE. Because Americans are our Allies and we support them in Wars, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan ....and you have sent our soldiers to those places and our soldiers fought for you and for Australia , ........some coming home with terrible physical injuries and some with devastating Mental Injuries as well, BUT WHERE ARE YOU, WHEN THEY NEED YOU?????

Veteran's Indexation to CPI only is a disgrace and is something YOUR Labor party, Julia, used as an election sweetener, to get the Veteran's Vote ...BUT YOU LIED!!!!!!

You never had any intention of honouring your election promise to them, and it WILL come back to bite you at the next election!!!! (And Tony, Liberals were NO BETTER, Howard had more than 10 years to "fix it" and didn't!)
    Veterans are not alone they have families, friends and supporters, who are heartily sick of the deception your party perpetrated on them, AND THEY ALL VOTE!!!! THEY are your obligation, first and foremost, and it is not your first obligation to give aid to every man and his dog overseas first!!!
    Look after your own FIRST!!!! Is this what you call SALUTING THEIR SERVICE??? Have you any idea how sickening it is, for our Vets, to see you both, ( Labor or Liberal ) turn up to the funerals of our current young vets, for a photo opportunity, to be seen to be "caring", in the public eye but only to turn your backs on them all, when they need you??? (Just ask Breanna Till, an Afghanistan Soldier's wife, how CARING this govt is!!!)

And in light of what you DONT do, for our Vets, let's talk about Multiculturalism. People have come here from other countries for a better life, for more years than I have been alive (I am 65 years old!!) My own family migrated here in 1883, from Germany and did find a better life. Pre and Post war immigrants have came for a better life, and settled in and became wonderful contributors to this country as did those who came here after the Vietnam War, all have contributed to the rich diversity of this country and some descendants have even fought FOR this country and they have become Australians and were glad to be, and they had NO handouts from our Govt either; they worked hard for everything!

I have never had a problem with all, or any, race of immigrants coming here. However, I DO NOW!!!

Please tell me why we have areas like Lakemba, where police do NOT, and will NOT go, for fear of their life?

Please tell me why we can no longer have religion in schools, for fear of "OFFENDING" someone? (The latest little gem is that they are not having, or being funded, for "chaplains" anymore but "Counsellors"?)

Please tell me why religious Christmas observances, are no longer allowed in some schools for fear of OFFENDING someone?

Please tell me HOW Christmas decorations in some stores, might OFFEND someone?

Please tell me why we have to have segregated days in some swimming centres, for fear of "OFFENDING" someone?

Please tell me why we have some RADICAL clerics, demanding Sharia Law in this country, yet if we were in THEIR country, this would NEVER be allowed?

Please tell me why our laws need to be changed so as not to OFFEND someone??

Please tell me why we are fast becoming a MINORITY voice, in our own country because of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS??

Please tell me WHY, Australians cannot legally wear a face covering bike helmet into a bank and yet it is OK to wear a Burqa which covers the whole face?

And please tell me, WHY, when those people who want asylum here, can wreck our detention centres, as in Villawood and STILL be accepted here?

SO, in light of the above, WILL BOTH OF YOU ......Please tell me WHY, when some of our Vietnam Veterans FINALLY received (in the last 6 months) the recognition that they should have had, after the Vietnam War, (and which they received from the USA & South Vietnam, during and immediately after the Vietnam War), that the families of those Veterans were refused assistance by this Govt, to attend that award ceremony and yet this Govt ....flew, accommodated and even took on bus tours , to the families of asylum seekers, after the funerals of those who were killed, in the boat which sunk, off Christmas Island?

What does that say about just who are this govt's priorities?? The Australian people that I speak to, have genuine concerns about becoming a second class minority in our own country and the reasons for it, are some of the above. Are you so blind that you cannot see this?

And no, I am NOT racist!!!... (If I did not like Catholics or Protestants, would I be considered racist??) Of course not! Why is it that if we object to what is happening in our country, we are immediately labelled RACIST in an attempt to shut us up?? We are fighting Radical Muslims, in Afghanistan and Iraq, are we not?

I hear you say, "Yes but the Muslims we have here, are "Not like that "- well how would we know? Do we hear ANY of them coming out and speaking AGAINST radicals? I haven't, have you??? Islam is not compatible with ANY of the values that we hold here in Australia! Are not the experiences of Britain, France, the Netherlands or Holland an example of that? Why do you think it would be any different here? We even have an Australian born "radical", whose message is, that Australia WILL become a Muslim country, under Sharia Law and that we had "better get used to it".

Will both of you, grow some "Balls" and start sticking up for this country and its people??? We are the people who put you where you are and PAY you, to look after our interests!! ..And you are NOT doing that by any stretch of the imagination!!!
    I would appreciate an answer, from both of you, if only to convince me that once again, I am not talking to a brick wall!

In case it has escaped both of you, I would like to remind you that, in Australia, the Government is FOR THE PEOPLE, OF THE PEOPLE and BY THE PEOPLE, you should never forget that because you sure have up till now!!!

Mrs Jenny Bell

This is, and has been identified as a genuine letter.

Re: An Open Letter to Gillard and Abbott.From an Australian Grandmother.

It's the same thing in Canada. Our politicians need to hear the same.

Sincerely,

Hugh

Comment

I used to consider 'Majority Rule' was the way to go, but that changed for me many years ago.

Be truthful, and you will see that the majority, do not have the wisdom nor foresight necessary.

How many 'elected' members of any world parliament, have the necessary knowledge or ability, to successfully govern a country?

Sadly none.

Ranald

Comment

How do you know this is a genuine letter? Was it publicly published somewhere? It's just that the phrase "for the people, of the people and by the people" I think is part of the American Constitution, not the Australian one. Unlike most people I have actually read through the whole Australian Constitution.

I have seen many times letters purporting to be written by particular people when I've seen them before, changed to suit the country being aimed at.

I agree with a lot of the things which were said but something my father always said springs to mind.....He always said that it was the civil servants who run the country, not the polititians.

I hate the way they slag and sneer at each other all the time, both in parliament and out. I couldn't give a hoot about what they do in their private lives as long as it's not illegal and they are doing their job properly.

Elda
        Last edited by Glesgalass; 8 December 2011, 00:46. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi Elda,
          "How do you know this is a genuine letter?"

Yes it is genuine, a number of my military forum contacts spoke to the lady in question via landline.

Indeed some sections have been 'appropriated' from other sources [Gettsburgh etc.,etc.] , regardless of this the prime objective is probably to make people think, and of course 'debate' the various options which the missive addresses.

Gordon .

Disclaimer: With ANY open letter, even though it is genuine, care should be taken [and research] in formulating your own genuine opinion, it is very easy to be mislead by misgiuded or poorly researched patriotism
          Last edited by 1938 Observer; 8 December 2011, 21:16. Reason: added disclaimer

Comment

Working...
          X