When the Northwest logging industry was still young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the Northwest logging industry was still young

Got in some amazing old black and white pictures of the logging industry. You can see these at http://www.electriccanadian.com/pioneering/logging.htm

Alastair

Re: When the Northwest logging industry was still young

Alastair,
    Amazing photographs, especially the last one showing the "Tree House", not quite like the modern children's model. :cool:
    Gordon.

Comment

I was pretty amazed a that one myself. I would imagine it would be quite comfortable both in the heat and cold. Would love to try it out <grin>

Alastair

Comment

During the school holidays, when my brother and I were in the north, we spent some time with the foresters in the wood to the west of Broomhill (now the nothern terminus for the Speyside Railway).

We were issued with things that looked like spades we used to have at the seaside ! They were of course much stronger.

After the foresters had felled a tree, our job was to remove the bark, a very sticky job ! Having stripped one side we had to have help in turning the trunk, so we just shouted 'Give us a turn Mr Hare' (yes that was his name). He just hit his axe into the base of the tree and gave it the necessary turn.

The trees with which we worked, would not even have been the size of a top branch, of the ones seen in your photos !

It was a great experience for us, and I will never forget it.

Ranald
        Last edited by Ranald; 10 December 2011, 14:42. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
        X