History of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Scotland

I think I mentioned that the BBC had done a 10 part series on the history of Scotland. It appears that went to a second series as well.

Series 1 can be played on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL799FB58034AB9108

Series 2 can be found at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA154122C9E49F0AC

Alastair

Re: History of Scotland

I purchased the series a few months ago and it is extremely well done. Neil Oliver is a great presenter.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Comment

I have the first 10 part series, also the book of the series. Great watching and reading.

It looks as though I will now have to place a "Wish List" in front of my daughter:angelic: for the second edition.

Comment

We watched much of this series on the tv,a very well presented series by Neil Oliver. We look forward to visiting some of the places highlighted when we visit in May.
        Euan..

Comment

Hey, Alastair...So glad that you posted the links above for the videos of History of Scotland. I've had saved in my Favorites, the link to purchase the video series. I just couldn't afford to buy just anything that I WANT!!! (I secretly have a "crush" on Neil...oops! just slipped!!!) That's only from looking at his photos on the BBC site!! (he's a tad bit too young for me, though!) Thanks a heap! Joan :redrose:

Comment

Hey Joan,
            I tried to find Neil singing a song for you, but this Tab Hunter song [your era :tongue:] from "Lust in the
            Dust" :blush: should make your heart go "Pittypat" it may echo Neil's sentiments for you.

Gordon.:redrose:

Comment

Neil Oliver's series also runs regularly on public television in British Columbia. I just started watching it again for the third run, and learn something each time. He's a pointed myth-tester and speaks on site. There are some companion materials and podcasts on the Open University site at http://www.open.edu/openlearn/whats-...story-scotland. Educational and entertaining, can't beat that combination!

Comment

By the by, GORDON, IF it's MY era, it's doubly so, for yours as well!!! I actually as a teenager, had a crush on people like Tab, James Dean, Tony Perkins, etc. And loved the songs of Johnny Mathis. But...most of those guys weren't interested in girls....although I was so young & innocent, I didn't know any of that!!! Even Rock Hudson!!!

Nowadays, what attracts me, is someone's intelligence, & in this area, there's not too many older guys with that "attraction". Thanks for the song, as in all our teen years' experiences, we still remember the words to those songs!!!

Actually, when about 15-16, I worked at a dance weekly on Saturday night, in the basement of the YMCA, & a radio station (WING) broadcasted from there. I sold tickets & stamped hands. Other of my friends worked in the snack bar. Had a lot of fun there, & do remember a lot of songs...heard "You Ain't Nothin' But a HoundDog", "The Poor People of Paris" (I think), "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", etc. My cats are NOW raising havoc around here, so will stop & catch 'em at it!!! Joan

Comment

Hi Rick! Thanks to you, I downloaded Neil Oliver's audio walks onto my Google Reader. Successfully, I might add. Used to have a "pen pal", I think, in Fort William? I'd have to look at a map!! Anyway, thanks for letting us know about the Open U stuff online. Joan
                  Last edited by FriedaKateM; 10 February 2012, 17:58.

Comment

Neil Oliver has some great documentarys on TV; this is one I happened to view last night, all the parts are available on Youtube.

Two Men in a Trench is a series following archaeologists Tony Pollard and Neil Oliver visit the sites of historic British battles in an attempt to bring the past to life using state of the art archaeological techniques and their ability to tell an entertaining story about those who fought and died in the battles that shaped Britain's history.

In this episode Tony Pollard and Neil Oliver research the Battle ground of the Battle flodden that took place in Northumberland on 9 September 1513, between an invading Scots army under King James IV and an English army commanded by Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey.

Comment

This is another to enjoy, the story on this one is Culloden.

In this episode Tony Pollard and Neil Oliver research the Battle ground of the Battle of Culloden that took place in 16 April 1746 between the British army and the Jacobite forces

Comment

Let's make it clearer viz Hanoverian forces against Jacobite. Even as recently as the Calcutta Cup game just over a week ago we had the comment about the English v the Scots..

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                        X