Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highland Games

Hey,
    Just watched a new show called "Dhani Explores The Globe" while eating breakfast. This episode was all about Scotland and the Highland games, whisky (note spelling..Sandyc) and bag pipe making. Amazing. I learned so much about everything. They said there were only a few people left that made bag pipes by hand. They use wood from Africa as it is real hard and has the wanted sound. Dhani, who is an American and quite a strapping man, tried to blow into the pipes and he only lasted a minute before he got light headed. Then I saw the "games" that y'all play. Wow!! They threw, tossed, pulled, and pushed really heavy objects. I was exhausted by the second contestant just from watching!!!
    So this is what they do at Highland games around the world. It reminded me of the worlds strongest men competition. Just curious, didn't see any events for women. Do they compete? Do women ever play the bag pipes? Well I was really impressed. Wish I could watch first hand.

Re: Highland Games

Diane, when it comes to lady pipers, look at the Music SUB Forum, and message from Tom who gives links to Jane Espie.

There are many pipe bands with ladies also playing pipes and drums. The UK Forces pipe bands tend to be all male, but I do not think that is deliberate.

Ranald

Comment

Diane,
      Here is an all girl pipe band for you, the sound quality of the video is OK, but you will need to view it full screen to obtain some reasonable definition.
      The band is.......Presbyterian Ladies' College Perth Pipe Band ----Western Australia.

Here is the school where these young ladies receive their education, evidently a pipe band is a long standing tradition.

Have a look.................. History of PLC

From Humble Beginnings...

On 19 August 1915, in St Andrew's Church Perth, a meeting was chaired by the Rt Rev George Nisbet Dods, Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in WA and Minister of St Andrew's. It was agreed to establish a Presbyterian school for girls, similar to Scotch College, which had been established in 1897.

http://www.plc.wa.edu.au/

Gordon.

Comment

Diane, I am seeing more female pipers each year at the Longs Peak Festival in Estes Park Colorado.

http://www.electricscotland.org/albu...achmentid=1254

In your original post you mention a show host who tried blow into a set of pipe but got light headed. Bagpipes are considered aerophone instruments, that is they require air to be played. The bag in a stand of pipes is there to provide a reservoir of air for the piper. The blow pipe in the piper's mouth keeps the reservoir of air in the bag relatively full. The air in the bag feeds reeds in 1 bass drone, 2 tenor drones and a chanter that the piper uses to play a melody. The piper also squeezes the bag with his arm to maintain bag pressure in between breaths. The devil in the details for a new piper, is to adjust the reeds in his drones and chanter so that they will sound at relatively similiar air pressures. A beginning piper will usually obtain assistance for this from a more experienced piper (often times a pipe sergeant or pipe major if piping in a band).

To achieve the sound volume one will hear in a higher grade pipe band, the reeds in the bagpipes may be often set to strike in at higher air pressures. Some pipers will say that chanter reeds that will play at lower pressures are harder to tune to the drone reeds and have a shorter useful life.

Pipes are wonderful hear in the hands of a capable piper. A piper must be a competent multitasker. I am always impressed at piping competitions to hear some of the tunes played by the bands as they drill. They are actually working very hard.

Comment

Hey Diane,

Here are some ladies in Highland events for you...................Enjoy.

Gordon.

Comment

Comment

Also have a look at this link...............The Caledonian Society of Arizona.

The Glenmorangie Scottish Gathering and Highland Games has been the only host of the Women’s World Championships of the Scottish athletic events from its humble beginnings in 1992 to present. This event is comprised of athletes from across the globe.

The 1992 results recorded by Rich Doria a member of the Arizona Scottish Athletics Hall of Fame and long time competitor, judge, athletic director and friend to the Highland games had three Female athletes competing along side a group of novice men in a single group throwing together and taking turns between the women’s weights and the men’s.

http://www.arizonascots.com/05gamesathletics.shtml

also here.............. http://www.glengarryhighlandgames.com/heavyweights.html

Comment

Thank you all for the links and videos. I loved looking at them all. Don't think I would make a good "Highland" lass especially in the games. Thomas, enjoyed your more detailed lesson on the bag pipes. You are right, the host was only blowing the air in and the owner was doing everything else. Can only imagine how hard it is to play.

Comment

Working...
                X