Right weather for Scotch Broth!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right weather for Scotch Broth!!

This weather pattern is just unbelievable! This is the worst summer I ever remember since I came here 40 years ago. It's so cold today that I made a big pot of scotch broth to feed a girlfriend coming for lunch tomorrow.

Elda

Re: Right weather for Scotch Broth!!

That's one thing about Scotland, if you don't like the weather - wait a minute....

Ranald

Comment

Ranald,
      They are saying on the news today that 75% of NSW is under flood threat. It must sound frightening to you folks overseas but it's mostly inland NSW where all the rivers are which are overflowing because of the rain. Where I am is only 5km from the coast and although we have water only 100metres away it's bay water (inlet from the coast) and it's tidal, so the rain doesn't really affect the water level. It must be hard for overseas relatives of us here in Oz to understand that.

The main water reservoir for Sydney, Warragamba Dam, overflowed today for the first time in 14 years. But, they knew it was coming and automatic drains were in place to open up and allow a flow of water to lower reservoirs.

I can hear it raining as I type but it's not torrential or anything like it. Just a steady flow which is soothing when you hear it on the roof when going to sleep.

Our plants here in our gardens are totally confused....:shocked: They don't know whether to flower or not. I noticed the other day that the frangipani trees have just started to flower when normally the flowers are dropping at this time of year. Of course, they are not native to Australia and expect warmer conditions than we have had this summer. My poor little tomato plant doesn't know what to do. It's still growing tomatoes but they are all green.....my neighbour tells me that they need heat, not sunshine to ripen to red.

I believe it's true that we are experiencing a gradual climate change.

Elda

Comment

Well in Manitoba it has been quite mild this winter. There has only been a couple of -30c days in this area this winter, with very little snow. Last year there was so much snow that there was massive flooding in the spring and early summer.
        We had some really strong winds in Scotland before I left at the start of February and there was as a lot of damage. In the Glasgow area they seemed to have missed some of the really bad weather that blew in from Siberia.

Summer winter spring - a normal day in Scotland.
        Sandy

Comment

Just an addendum....Our weather today, Friday, March 2 is horrendous. We've been having severe thunderstorm watches, BUT also, tornados are going through. I & my two cats went into my bathroom, with pillows, covers, coats, etc., etc. 2 of us got into the bathtub. My older cat refused to do so. Waited till it seemed the tornado had gone by, but in a tiny town near to me, there is extreme damage, with two known deaths. The TV weather people are going a mile a minute. There was another death, but cannot remember where. It is now going into southern, eastern Ohio, & also into Kentucky. We certainly have had a major weather system going past/through. Joan

Comment

Of course I had to post that we have had very little snow. Spent 2 hours shovelling the driveway yesterday just to get the car out...
            Back to -21c again today but that is till just "seasonable".
            I'll take this over the tornadoes thank you very much.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
            X