The Flag in the Wind
    Jamieson's Dictionary of the Scottish Language
    Scottish Poets in America
    Calendar Of Documents Relating to Scotland
    Northern Notes and Queries
    Songs of Robert Burns
    The Bards of Bon Accord 1375 - 1860
    Biggar and the House of Fleming
    History of the Barrhead Co-operative Society Ltd.
    The History of Blairgowrie
    Robert Burns Lives!
    Leaves from Logiedale (Complete New Book)
    John Stuart Blackie
    Lord Jeffrey and Craigcrook
    Professor William John MacQuorn Rankine
    Songs from John Henderson
    Alastair's Science Fiction and Fantasy Page
    Nichol, John

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    I've often said that there are lots of Scots living in England and indeed posted up a book on Scots in England which you can find on the site. I noticed this week a wee article...

165. Scotsmen naturalised in England.—The fourth volume of Calendar of Documents relating to Scotland, edited by Joseph Bain, F.S.A. Scot., has just been issued by the Treasury. One interesting subject is well illustrated in it, viz. the frequency with which Scotsmen were made
    denizens of England in the fifteenth century.

So Scots settling in England has been going on for a long time. It was estimated that there were some 1 million Scots in England but you have to wonder if a much larger figure would be appropriate given the centuries that Scots have been living there.

-----

New York Tartan Week to Open with the Great Book of Gaelic

New York, NY - “Tartan Day on Ellis Island” – the nation’s largest Tartan Day celebration - returns for its 11th annual observance with the opening of “An Leabhar Mòr” (The Great Book of Gaelic.) The exhibition, organized and produced by Pròiseact nan Ealan, the Gaelic Arts Agency, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland, opens on Sunday, March 31 and runs through Sunday, April 8. The exhibition celebrates the art and poetry of the Gaelic-speaking people of Scotland and Ireland.

“Tartan Day on Ellis Island” is produced by the Clan Currie Society – one of the country’s leading Scottish heritage organizations. The Ellis Island event will open NY Tartan Week – a two-week festival of all things Scottish, including a Scottish fashion show, whisky tastings, and the annual parade.

Open on March 31 but will be running until April 8.

See http://www.tartandayonellisisland.com for more information.

-----

Old Scottish Street Poetry

This is a section on the site which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...at/spoetry.htm

The reason I mention this is that I got in a contribution which you can see at the foot of Page 5. At one time we got lots of contributions for this section but it must be around a year since we got anything in. There is a real mixture of wee ditties on these pages which for the older ones may bring back some good memories. We've even got some old skipping songs. And so I thought I'd highlight this page in case some of you reading this might have other old songs to add to our collection.

I remember one person told me (and I think she lived in Australia) that she partly remembered a wee poem but phoned her father in Scotland to give her the whole version which she scribbled down and then sent it into me. We're certainly more than happy to add to our collection as soon there won't be anyone alive who remembers them.

-----

Tapatalk is an app available for iPhone, iPad and Android devices. It lets you interact with our Electric Scotland Community. Last week we got in a message telling us it wasn't working on the community and indeed it was not. We have now upgraded this to the latest release and is now working much better than ever.

I tried this on my own Android phone and was very impressed as it logged me in right away and came up with a list of new messages by default. It's certainly a lot better than the old version making it easy to browse through the forums and send and reply to messages. And you can of course read this newsletter through it.

You can download a free version to try it out but the app is only $2.99. Available from all the usual places you would get apps from or see http://www.tapatalk.com/

----

Steve has been working on the Comment system that we're trying to add to the site. In effect he's trying to hack the code to try and get it talking to our email server. I personally see this as a high priority for the site as it lets people comment on any page of the site.

An example of how important this can be was illustrated by an email I got in on the Leckie page in the Scottish Nation. I've always been willing to add information to any page of the site and thus when I get an email provding some new information I've edited the page to add that. Right now the Leckie page has four additional notes on it.

And so you can see how this comment system could work as folk would be able to add their own information to any page of the site. Part of the benefit of this particular system is that you can also add comments to the various social networks and you can also subscribe to any page as an RSS feed. And so I can see how this could be particularly useful especially if you are following a particular name.

Of course if it was successful then my work load shoots up as we will need to moderate any comments before they appear on the site. But there again I'd also like to know what's going on so I can alert you in this newsletter to anything of particular interest.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/whatsnew.htm and also http://www.electriccanadian.com/whatsnew.htm

Electric Canadian
    -----------------
    The Stories of the Counties of Ontario
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...ries/index.htm
    By Emily P Weaver (1913) Have made a start on this publication and have completed the Central Counties so far. I have to say these are grand wee stories and make an enjoyable read.

A Canadian History for Boys and Girls
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...00weavuoft.pdf
    By Emily P Weaver (1903). I found this book and felt it was an easy book to read with lots of illustrations. Each chapter is quite small and so suitable for children and older readers. I decided to make this book available as a pdf file to make it easy to print out bits from it.

Lumber Industry
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/tran...mber/index.htm
    Added a section for the Lumber industry in which I give you some recent figures and also a partial publication on the Lumber industry in America. This book is a 2 volume publication but the first half of the first volume focuses on Canada.

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue has been Compiled by Clare Adamson and obviously covers the UK budget and how it reflects on Scotland. She's complaining about lack of support from the Labour Party to object to the tax cut on the wealthy.

You can read this issue at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Jamieson's Dictionary of the Scottish Language
    ----------------------------------------------
    We've added more to this dictionary...

Scottish Language Letters U to Z

And this now completes this publication. I do think this is an excellent resource for the site and as we're often looking for just a single word the way it's been laid out makes it easier to download just the section you want.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...eson/index.htm

Scottish Poets in America
    -------------------------
    With Biographical and Critical Notices by John D, Ross (1889)

Now added...

Wanless, Andrew

This is a new entry for this week and can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet.../chapter21.htm

I might add I found pdf's of three of his publications so added these as links to the foot of this page.

The other entries can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...rica/index.htm

Calendar Of Documents Relating to Scotland
    ------------------------------------------
    By Joseph Bain

Our thanks to John Henderson for compiling this for us. This week we've added...

Volume 4
    1453 to 1482

I know we don't always have the time to look through these old documents but the contents can often give us an interesting perspective of how life was in these old days and many wee gems are contained within them. In this period there is a lot of letters going forth to sundry persons about the King of Scots seige on Berwick upon Tweed. Another wee letter is urging the return of a young boy taken to Scotland to be returned to his mother. Yet more on piracy on the high seas where a Scottish ship was taken over by an English sea captain. Another reference to awarding payment to spies. And of course lots of safe conducts issued.

In actual fact if you were interested in genealogy it would be worth downloading these and then doing a search for a name and it may well be surprising at what you might find. I noted the Earl of Douglas gets mention quite frequently.

You can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...bain/index.htm

Northern Notes and Queries
    --------------------------
    Edited by Rev. R. W. Cornelious Hallen (1886)
    "
    We now have up the next two entries of this publication. March Edition 1889" and the "Index to Volume III", which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...hern/index.htm

In the March edition there is good information on Ross, Graham of Gartmore, Nocolson, and the Younger family.

It would also be worthwhile downloading the index files as that way you can see a quick list of the topics covered and any names that are mentioned.

Songs of Robert Burns
    ---------------------
    We added "Historical Notes: Love Songs General" to this book.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/songs/index.htm

The Bards of Bon Accord 1375 - 1860
    -----------------------------------
    By William Walker

Added the chapters on "Albania: a Poem, 1737" and "Don: a Poem, 1655 - 1742"

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...cord/index.htm

Biggar and the House of Fleming
    -------------------------------
    An Account of the Biggar District, Archaeological, Historical and Biographical by William Hunter (1862)

We have now added...

Chapter XVIII
    The Witches of the Biggar District
    Chapter XIX
    The Vagrants of the Biggar District
    Chapter XX
    Crime in the Biggar District

Chapter XIX starts...

THE Biggar district was, from a remote period, overrun by swarms of tinkers, gipsies, chapmen, beggars, etc. Some of these wanderers were well known, and kindly treated. They went regular rounds, obtained quarters at certain farmhouses, and claimed and received an 'awmous,’ or small benefaction, in the shape of a coin, a bannock, or a handful of meal, at the doors of the charitable, and bestowed a benediction in return. The sturdy beggars, sorners, and bluegowns of a bygone age, carried in their capacious wallets what was called an awmous dish, which was round in shape and composed of wood, and, in fact, bore a close resemblance to a large quaich or drinking cup.

On calling at a house, the gaber-lunzie held out this dish to receive the alms of the gudewife, which, in that case, generally consisted of a handful or two of barley or oatmeal By this method he was able to ascertain the exact amount of the dole bestowed, and to measure out in return a corresponding amount of benison to the giver. The meal was then deposited in the appropiate meal-pock, and the awmous dish had its place of honour in one of the pocks in front. We can thus see the appropriateness of the comparison used by Burns, when he says, that one of the heroines of his 'Jolly Beggars*

'held up her greedy gab,
    Just like an aumos dish.'

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter19.htm

The other chapters can be readt at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ggar/index.htm

History of the Barrhead Co-operative Society Ltd.
    -------------------------------------------------
    A Record of its Struggles, Progress, and Success from its Inception in 1861 until the Year of its Jubilee, 1911 by Robert Murray, J.P.

Added this week...

Chapter VII. 1901-11: Our Own Times
    Chapter VIII. Barrhead’s Contribution to the General Movement
    Chapter IX. The Pioneers of the Society

Here is how chapter VII starts...

“Choosing each stone, and poising every weight,
    Trying the measure of the breadth and height;
    Here pulling down, and there erecting new,
    Founding a firm state by proportion true.”
    —Andrew Marvell.

A BUSY START

WITH the beginning of this period in 1901 we find ourselves touching so closely upon the affairs of our own day that it becomes at once more difficult and less necessary to enter into details of events with which all are familiar. This last ten years of the Society’s fifty years of history opened amid a bustle of activity which was the true fruit and outcome of the forty years then concluded. In the large number of shops and other establishments which it then possessed a great and ever-growing mass of trade was being done. To strengthen and further augment this, the Society, as we have seen, had time and again taken the bold but safe step of erecting its own property. And now, just as the century closed, it had determined, as the crown of all its effort, not only to erect an entirely new bakery, but also to proceed with shops, offices, and dwelling-houses at Paisley Road—the largest building scheme it had yet considered.

A NEW BAKERY

From the re-erection of the old bakery, after its destruction in 1882, there had been several additions to the ovens and other sections of the building. By 1899 it began to be felt that no possible patching of the old bakery could render it adequate to meet the growing needs of the Society, and a demand arose for a new building. Early in 1900 this was formally decided upon, and in May of the same year the Laundry Association agreed to sublet ground on their feu for this purpose. In June plans were adopted, and the work was commenced. There were the usual delays and alterations in plan as the building proceeded, but it was finally completed and formally opened on 4th January 1902. The opening ceremony was performed by Mr William Murray (then president of the Society), with Mr Thomas Scott (vice-president) in the chair. Mr William Maxwell (chairman of the S.C.W.S.) and representatives from other co-operative bodies were present, as well as the late Mr John Allan, Robert Stark, and other Barrhead veterans. Mr Murray, in declaring the bakery open, claimed that the committee had succeeded in its object—namely, to have a bakery second to none in the country.

In justification of the Society having proceeded with the erection of the new bakery, he submitted the following figures. In the 126th quarter (1890) they baked 1,045 sacks of flour and £282 in small and fancy bread. In the 162nd quarter (1900) they baked 1,403 sacks of flour, and there was £512 for small and fancy bread. In the 126th quarter £1,808 was paid in dividend, and in the 162nd quarter the dividend was £3,050—the latter sum being equal to £1,000 per month, £250 per week, £40 per day. The total sales in 1890 were valued at £56,897, and in 1900 they had risen to £87,439. In 1890 the membership was 1,730, and in 1900, 2,550. From these figures it would be seen that a great advance had taken place in ten years ; and, with continued loyalty, there was no reason why the next ten years should not see the same ratio continued. At the luncheon which followed, in the Good Templars’ Hall, the speakers included Mr Maxwell, Bailie Hugh Paton, Mr P. Glasse, Mr John Allan, Mr Robert Campbell, Mr James Deans, Mr Thomas Dykes, Mr William George, and Mr G. Pinkerton.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/busi.../chapter07.htm

You can read the other chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/business/coop/index.htm

The History of Blairgowrie
    --------------------------
    Town, Parish and District being an account of the Origin and Progress of the Burgh from the Earliest Period with a description of the Antiquities, Topography, Civil History, Ecclesiastical and Parochial Records, Institutions, Public Works, Manufactures, Legends, Sports, Statistics, and Biographical Sketches of Eminent Persons, etc. by John A. R. MacDonald (1899)

We now have up...

Introduction

Chapter I.
    Situation of the Town—Extent of the Parish—Topography -Latitude and Longitude—Etymology of Blairgowrie - Traditions—Description of the Town Origin of Street Sames—Soil—Geology — Quarries — Fossils—Wood —Arboriculture — Piscatorial—Zoology,

Chapter II.
    Authentic Records—Roman Invasions—Suetonius Paulinus— Julius Agricola—Galdus—Mons Granipius—Site of the Battle —A Bone of Contention— Opinions of Eminent Men—Tacitus —Description of the Battle—A Disputed Victory—Sad Experience of the Romans — False Reports — Vespasian — Evidences of the Struggle— Tulina—Emperor Severus— Bridge of Lornty—St Ninian’s Well—Invasion of Northmen —Kenneth M‘Alpin—Regner Lodbrog—Inchtuthil—Battle of Stenton Craig -Bloody Inches—Church and Lands of Blair—Kinclaven Castle taken by Wallace—Robert the Bruce at Stormont Looh—Highland Caterans—Battle of Glasclune—Drummond Feud and Massacre—Queen Mary’s Summons—Offers by Murderers—Their Trial and Execution —Bond of Manrent,

Chapter III
    King Charles I.—Charter of Burgh of Barony—Barony Court— Gallows Knowe—Montrose—Sacking of Newton Castle— Donald Cargill—John Erskine—The Ghost of Mause: Full Description—Prince Charlie and the Curlers’Dii-rer—Duke of Cumberland at Woodlands—Division of the Muir of Blair—Coble Pule—Boat Brae—Muckle Mill Erected—Purchase of Blairgowrie Estate—Military Service in Blairgowrie—Enrolment Returns, 1803—A Rille Corps—A Distinguished Officer—Burgh Charters—Erection of Parish Church—Stage Coach—Introduction of Gas and Printing—Visits of the Queen—Auld Brig o’ Blair—An Incident of the French Resolution—The First Newspaper—Introduction of the Railway Service—A Good Story—Burns Centenary Celebration—Inauguration of Volunteer Movement, 1859

Chapter II starts...

THERE are no authentic records to inform us whether Blairgowrie existed prior to the Christian era, but in the early days of the Roman invasions, when these ruthless foreign marauders waged war with our countrymen, we have the knowledge that Suetonius Paulinus, in command of the Roman legions about 61 a.d., finished his last expedition to Caledonia, choosing as the scene of his operations the valley of Strathmore. In this campaign he had but little success until, in progress of his march southwards through the provinces of Albin, he encountered a formidable force under Caractacus, a British King, who for nearly ten years had waged successful war against the Roman arms. After a long and bloody fight the Roman legions triumphed, and the British King, being betrayed, was carried to Rome.

In 81 a.d. Julius Agricola, one of Suetonius Paulinus’ successors, and the last of the Roman Generals in Britain, entrenched his army to the east of the Tay in the Stormont, along that sward now known as the Haughs of Delvine. The country at this time, and for some years previous, was oppressed by Roman invaders, but an attempt was now to be made by the Caledonians, under Gaid us (the Galgacus of Tacitus), to free their country and sweep their foes out of it. It has long been a bone of contention amongst antiquarians and historians to locate the site of this battle, “Mons Gram pins,” but the researches of eminent men, amongst others Lieutenant-Colonel Bayl3, R.E., Superintendent of the Ordnance Survey, 1803, and Mr Knox, author of “The Map of the Basin of the Tay,” prove conclusively that the site of “Mons Grampius,” the historic battle between the Caledonians and Romans, was around Blairgowrie.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter02.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...wrie/index.htm

Robert Burns Lives!
    ------------------
    Edited by Frank Shaw

“A Tribute to Dr. Patrick Scott”, A Noted Robert Burns Scholar By Frank R. Shaw

A few months back I was asked by Tom McNally, Dean of Libraries at the University of South Carolina, to speak at “A Tribute to Dr. Patrick Scott” upon his retirement from the faculty of the university. I immediately accepted. Tom had asked others to speak about the academic side of Patrick’s life, but he wanted me to speak about Patrick as one from the “outside” giving me all the latitude in the world to come up with something a bit entertaining and hopefully interesting.

The retirement bash was held in the new addition of the library and extra chairs had to be brought in to accommodate those present. I interpreted the huge crowd to be an indication of just how much Patrick is thought of by his colleagues and revered by his friends. Patrick is a man I greatly admire and can be classified as one of a small handful of heroes in my life.

I later told Patrick that I hoped he would not mind if I put my words on my web site and, ever the modest gentleman, he replied, “Only if you clean up the superlatives”. I chuckled and moved on to another topic of conversation knowing that if I complied with his wishes there would be no need to put the talk on line. So, with all due apologies to Dr. Scott, here is what I said to that packed crowd.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives135.htm

You can read other articles in this series at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

Leaves from Logiedale
    ---------------------
    By David Wallace Archer (1889). A charming wee book with a good introduction by the famous J. M. Barrie. The whole book is available for you to read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...giedalendx.htm

John Stuart Blackie
    -------------------
    An Interview with him by the Strand Magazine in the January to June 1892 edition. You can read this at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/blackie/

Blackie is of course one of the most famous Scots and should you not have read about him before then the above link also takes you to a complete book about him and also a few of his books in pdf format.

Lord Jeffrey and Craigcrook
    ---------------------------
    A History of the Castle by James Taylor And a Sketch of Lord Jeffrey's Character and Craigcrook Life by the Right Hon. Lord Moncrieff of Tulliebole With a Description of the Original Structure by Thomas Ross, Architect (1892)

I really enjoyed this wee book and it can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...craigcrook.htm

Professor William John MacQuorn Rankine
    ---------------------------------------
    Have added this person to our Significant Scots section and in the biography we have also linked to a book of his "Songs and Fables"

"With a profusion of auburn hair, he had a head like imperial Jove. As Professor of Civil Engineering and Mechanics in Glasgow University he was learned in mathematics, profuse in his use of algebraic symbols, and profound in all kinds of equation and analysis. Some of his calculations were too deep for ordinary understandings to fathom. Yet his social character had a light and airy side. He wrote rhymes of infinite jest; some of his original songs he sang to tunes of his own composition, accompanying himself on the piano; while he was also the author of a little series of ‘Fables,’ very brief and very pointed, which, as he repeated them with quaint gravity, were always received with relish."

You can read more about him at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...m_rankine2.htm

Songs from John Henderson
    -------------------------
    John sent us in three songs, "Cambusbarron Dreams", "Jimmy Snow" and "Sing Us A Song Of Cambusbarron".

These can be got to at the foot of his page at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerels.htm

Alastair's Science Fiction and Fantasy Page
    -------------------------------------------
    As a counter to all the history I read in my daily working life I read Science Fiction & Fantasy for relaxation. Here I am listing a few of my favourite authors. I'll likely add to this as I get the time.

You can get to this page at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/scifi/index.htm

Nichol, John
    ------------
    Chair of English Literature at Glasgow University. On this page we also link to a book about him and also a book he wrote about Robert Burns. You can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ichol_john.htm

The book he wrote about Robert Burns is a link within the text. The link to his Memoir is at the foot of the page.

And finally...

Early politicians required feedback from the public to determine what the people considered important. Since there were no telephones, TV's or radios, the politicians sent their assistants to local taverns, pubs, and bars. They were told to 'go sip some Ale and listen to people's conversations and political concerns. Many assistants were dispatched at different times. 'You go sip here' and 'You go sip there.' The two words 'go sip' were eventually combined when referring to the local opinion and, thus we have the term 'gossip.'

And that's all for now and hope you all have a great weekend.

Alastair
    Attached Files
Working...
X