Shades of '45 Averted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shades of '45 Averted!

As a resident of British Columbia, Canada I was too embarrassed to bring this up sooner, but sanity has prevailed and the tale may well be an encouragement to others who must defend against the milk toasting of society. To make a long and disturbing story short, civic bureaucrats in Vancouver, one of the country's great cities, decreed that no pipers would be licensed to busk in their streets. Too many noise complaints, they said! But the good Mayor, Robertson by name, stood by his background and reversed the ban. I don't know anywhere on earth that has dared to forbid the pipes this blatantly since the aftermath of the '45 but the home of the Simon Fraser University pipe band, among others, can again hear the skirl o'er the waters. Only in BC I suppose, but lots of good press like the following example:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-reversed.html

Play on Vancouver, play on!

Re: Shades of '45 Averted!

All's well that ends well, so in the spirit of the moment lets have a glimpse of Jane Espie--------"The Phantom Piper" .

Comment

The pipes seem to be one of those things which you either love or hate. There doesn't seem to be any inbetween....lol! I love them, of course but what surprised me about 13 years ago was my then 5 year old grandson. I took him to a local highland gathering and I expected him to be bored quickly but I couldn't get him to leave!!!!! He absolutely loved the pipes. Of course, I got accused of brain washing him :-)

Elda

Comment

I think that tune is called Highland Cathedral.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Helloooo...I was quite impressed at the young woman playing the pipes, especially in such a short kilt, with her legs, although stockinged, hanging out in the cold wind. Check out the clothing all the other people were wearing, i.e. the shoppers, & observe how they're dressed. Also how fast all of them are walking!!!

I do feel that Jane Espie on our site here, is extremely well liked by the fellows who follow her career & pipe-playing.....

Thanks for the video, Gordon! Joan

Comment

It would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if Jane Espie went a-busking in Vancouver - not even the most dismal petty bureaucrat could ever conceive of driving her off the streets. She's a thoroughly intriguing young lady with a powerful talent, which anyone new to her can find on her website at http://www.janeespie.com/fr_about.cfm and I'm like Elda's grandson every time I hear her "Dark Island".

Rick

Comment

And of course, it would be appropriate to post the link to Jane Espie's "Dark Island" slides, now wouldn't it! Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
              X