Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmer ploughing unearthed ancient grave.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmer ploughing unearthed ancient grave.

Skeleton found at Monreith farm
    The three cists discovered at Blairbuy Farm near Monreith

Published on Wednesday 11 April 2012 17:01

FARMER Jock McMaster got a big surprise when he was ploughing his fields at Blairbuy Farm last week when his plough unearthed an ancient grave.

The blade of the plough hit and uplifted a huge stone slab, which Jock discovered was the lid of a cist. Inside was the remains of a skeleton from the Bronze Age.

He told The Galloway Gazette: “The slab just came up when I was ploughing last Thursday. I noticed immediately that it was unlike any other stone in he area. It was a huge flat stone and it got stuck in the plough.

“I had a guddle in the hole and found the skeleton. I then reported it to the archeology unity at the council and they will take it from there. I expect they will excavate the site at some point.

“There was obviously a lot of activity here in ancient times as we have the standing stones and the Wren’s Egg stone nearby.

“There is nothing much to see the moment but it will be interesting to see what else turns up.”

And what did turn up was three cists!

A spokesperson for Dumfries and Galloway Council said: “Our Council’s archeologist Jane Brann said, “Historic Scotland responded to a request from the Council Archaeology Service to fund the excavation of archaeological remains recently discovered and reported by Mr McMaster of Blairbuy Farm, Monreith. While ploughing, a large stone was unearthed that turned out to be the capstone from a cist burial. The excavation has finished and in all three cists were found.

Only one contained the remains of a skeleton. The archaeological company who carried out the excavation will analyse the findings and write a full report which it is hoped will be published in the Transactions of the Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society in due course. The cists are likely to date from the Bronze Age some 3-4,000 years ago when nearby monuments such Drumtroddan Standing Stones and the Wren’s Egg were erected.”

####There was a picture posted at the beginning of this article, but it didn't copy! Would like to know what a "guddle" is, also! This was posted from the Galloway newspaper. Many ta's, Joan
    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 18 April 2012, 21:11. Reason: add-on note

Re: Farmer ploughing unearthed ancient grave.

Hi Joan,

Maybe this will be of some help for you,

Gordon.

Guddle v. catch fish with your hands; prod, poke; mess about; work untidily

Guddle is an everyday word in Scots and Scottish English, but it is less well-known in other parts of the world. It first appears in written records in the early nineteenth century, at which time the now rare Scots word ginnle, the gills of a fish, was also used as a term for manual fishing. James Hogg describes catching fish by this method in The Wool-gatherer (1818): “I guddle them in aneath...

have a look at the link below for some more interesting items.

Scots Language Centre.

Find out about Scots dialects and Scots place names
    Scots Language Centre
    http://www.scotslanguage.com/multime...io/456/page:14

Comment

The original article can be found here: http://www.gallowaygazette.co.uk/new...farm-1-2214622

Unfortunately the 'insert image' feature does not seem to be working

Comment

Tom, I presume you meant the photo of the site.

Well, I will also try and insert it here, fingers crossed.

Ranald
        Attached Files

Comment

I believe the word "guddle" might just mean the same thing as to "noodle", as in fishing with hands. Not sure..but think I'm right. However, I've also heard it called "hand fishing". Wouldn't want to grab a big catfish like that!!! Thanks for above pics, etc. Joan

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
            I believe the word "guddle" might just mean the same thing as to "noodle", as in fishing with hands. Not sure..but think I'm right. However, I've also heard it called "hand fishing". Wouldn't want to grab a big catfish like that!!! Thanks for above pics, etc. Joan
            Noodling Catfish

Noodling is the practice and sport of fishing for catfish using only one's bare hands. Catfisting, grabbling, graveling, hogging, tickling, are all possible names, depending on region. (Kentuckians call it dogging, while Nebraskans prefer stumping). Five U.S. states have laws explicitly permitting handfishing: Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Kansas. Missouri had an experimental noodling season in 2005 on sections of three rivers, from June 1 through July 15.

The term "noodling", although today used primarily towards the capture of flathead catfish, can and has been applied to all hand fishing methods, regardless of the method or species of fish sought. Noodling as a term has also been applied to various unconventional methods of fishing, such as any which do not use bait, rod & reel, speargun, etc., but this usage is much less common

In the UK this technique is known as guddling

Comment

Yup the word is guddle. I guddled a trout one time in the River Devon in Scotland. About eight inches it was.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
              X