Proposal for Series "My Canadian Home"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal for Series "My Canadian Home"

Each week a new form of housing is explored through the reconstruction using original tools, technology, etc. by parties in origional dress. Did the house go up with a "bee" or was it the result of the work of the settlers of the land: husband and wife. What were the challenges; the dangers; the advantages.

Exploration of why a particular style was chosen would go to the materials available, the climate, the country of origin of the settlers, the skills requirted.

What did they live in while they were erecting their home? How long did the wood have to season; the ice to freeze; the sod to reach an acceptable length. For instance, families often dug out the basement and lived there until the wood was ready (perhaps a year or two) or to be able to afford the work of the sawmill's owner.

There were stone masons, plaster masons, skilled tradesmen who travelled, offering their services; when did that happen and how?

The program would look, coast to coast, at the accommodation erected by the origional settlers, inhabitants, of Canada.

For example...

Aboriginals: Igloos, tepees, etc.
    Europeans: log cabins, sod shacks, stone houses

Alastair

Re: Proposal for Series "My Canadian Home"

Cannot say too much other than my uncle built his own house from the basement up in Toronto after WWII. They left Scotland in 1948 so was not really that long ago (or maybe it was~~~~)
    The relatives that we had here (not sure on that part of family history) thought he was mad for building in what is now regarded as 'downtown Toronto' ...
    Sandy

Comment

I'd just like to see a TV series covering this as I think it would be well received. I was talking to a Grade 9 girl a couple of weeks ago and she said the bit of history she liked best was building a log cabin.

Alastair

Comment

I'd just like to see a TV series covering this as I think it would be well received. I was talking to a Grade 9 girl a couple of weeks ago and she said the bit of history she liked best was building a log cabin.

Alastair

Comment

I think that would be a fine theme, and would include a range of "back stories" that could trace the history of the country. For example, my mother's family went from a five-bedroom stone mansion on the prairies built by tradesman recruited in Scotland to a one room log cabin in northern Saskatchewan built by her father, grandfather and uncle. Such were the ways of depressions and the "dirty thirties".

Comment

It's struck me a number of times when in the UK that they accept standards of space that would not be acceptable here. eg Visiting my nieces newly built home a number of years ago I thought we were standing in the hall but it was actually her living room. It was the tiniest living room I've ever seen in my life.....the stairs to upstairs went right off it.
            Another time we popped in to see some show homes which wouldn't pass muster here either. Imagine a 4 bedroom house with no linen cupboard, built ins only to the main bedroom (no ensuite) and only a single garage which DIDN'T have direct access to the house, even though there was a wall which divided the garage from the hallway.....stupid????

Elda

Comment

I often wonder if there are any old log cabins that have survived. I know there is one in Toronto that has siding up around it but it is an orgional.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Alastair, old log cabins are quite common in the west, tho' I don't have any appropriate photos handy. But here's the one I grew up in in north central Saskatchewan, which is sided over like the one you referred to. My grandfather built it in the 1920s and it's still well-occupied by the family that bought it when my folks retired in the 1970s.
                Attached Files

Comment

That's the fanciest log cabin I've ever seen :-)

Elda

Comment

Here in Indiana, there are many log cabins, which have been sided over at one time or other. This house of mine, actually has logs as "underpinnings" holding up the floor. I have no basement, & didn't know about the logs till my contractor, who replaced the bathroom floor told me about them. There's also just fieldstone (stacked) under my barn, & around the house. Also old "privy" all collapsed behind the barn. This place was built before there were actual roads...more like trails in the early 1840's to 1850's. Joan

Comment

Yeah, my dad was pretty handy with rough lumber and brick siding and they had steam tractors to lift the logs. But look a bit closer and you'll see no running water (I had to run and get it when I was a kid) and a wood furnace, tho' I think they have oil heat now. I was five before we had electricity there, but like anyone else, it still makes me homesick to think back!

Comment

How our standards change~~~
                        Think back to where you grew up and smile~~~

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                        X