What happened to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to?

Many years ago there was a sign on the wall which led up to St Enoch's station in Glasgow. I used to pass it every day going to work. It must have been there a very long time.
    It said, "They came and a boon and a blessing to men.
    The Pickwick, The Owl and the Waverley Pen."

I never knew what it meant. I guessed that it may have referred to some kind of old publications. I wonder what happened to the sign. Is it somewhere in a museum? Or did it just get discarded? Is it still there?

Elda

Re: What happened to?

Hi Elda,
    I remember the sign too. In fact we mentioned it years ago right here on ES. It is no longer there. The whole area has changed at that corner. St Enoch Station has gone and been replaced by a large shopping mall which now extends right to Argyle Street. The subway building is still there but is now a coffee shop and the sunway entrance is nearer the river.
    See this entry in Wikipedia for an explanation...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macniven_and_Cameron

Sandy

Comment

Now that you've jogged my memory I do recall us talking about it before in ES.

Elda

Comment

Hi Elda,
        that's as much jogging as I do these days~~~

Sandy

Comment

Speaking of jogging..I think I will be doing some of it when I arrive back in Oz on Saturday..
          Sandy, I may have to revise my opinions of Glasgow after our 2 short visits..Sue and myself thorougly enjoyed our visits, and would go so far as to say even more than Edinburgh...
          Euan..

Comment

Euan, Glasgow was the first city in Europe to ban fossil fuels and since then they have sandblasted most of the old sandstone buildings and brought them back to looking like new. Some of them are beautiful.

Elda

Comment

Working...
            X