• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what the doctor ordered – dark chocolates to beat heart disease

From the Scotsman
    By MARTYN MCLAUGHLIN
    Published on Friday 1 June 2012 00:00

IT IS a doctor’s prescription to tickle the tastebuds and, according to scientists, it could help save lives.

Eating dark chocolate every day could prevent heart attacks among those people considered at high risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease, a study published today claims.

Researchers found that chocolate rich in cocoa helps to lower the chance of individuals with metabolic syndrome – a cluster of factors that leaves them more prone to heart disease – from suffering strokes and heart attacks.

The Australian scientists said the “pleasant and cost-effective” treatment could become a “preventative strategy,” with subsidised chocolate offered to those patients affected.

However, they warn that only the dark variety will bring about life-enhancing benefits, pointing out that milk and white chocolate will not have the same impact.

The British Medical Association in Scotland agreed that patients at risk of developing heart disease should include a few squares of the sweet treat as part of a balanced diet, but warned them against “overindulging” in plain chocolate.

The researchers, from the department of epidemiology and preventive medicine at Monash University in Melbourne, found that the daily consumption of dark chocolate should last for ten years in order for it to have the maximum effect.

Over the decade long period, they predict that daily intake of chocolate containing at least 60 per cent cocoa solids would prevent 85 heart attacks per 10,000 people.

The chocolate, they point out in the latest edition of the British Medical Journal is rich in flavonoids which have anti-hypertensive, anti-inflammatory, and anthi-thrombotic effects, and helps to lower blood pressure.

Until now, studies in the field have focused only on the short-term healthy benefits of the chocolate. However researchers now say that daily dark chocolate could avert 15 fatal heart attacks and 70 non-fatal heart attacks per 10,000 people over a ten year period. Even at 80 per cent compliance it was effective, they added.

They found that spending £25 per high risk individual per year on dark chocolate – either subsidising the cost or promoting the benefits in health campaigns – would yield benefits.

Danny Liew, an associate professor in medicine and a consultant physician, said: “The findings of this study suggest that the blood pressure lowering and lipid effects of plain dark chocolate could represent an effective and cost effective strategy for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in people with metabolic syndrome and no diabetes.

“Chocolate benefits from being by and large a pleasant and hence sustainable treatment option. Evidence to date suggests that the chocolate would need to be dark and at least 60 to 70 per cent cocoa, or formulated or enriched with polyphenols.”

A spokeswoman for BMA Scotland said: “It is important that people at risk of developing heart disease or diabetes are encouraged to eat a healthier diet.

“Research has suggested that eating a small amount of dark chocolate every day could reduce the risk of stroke or heart disease. However, it is important to remember not to overindulge.”

Re: Just what the doctor ordered – dark chocolates to beat heart disease

Exactly what I am eating at this moment................deeeelicious. YUM.

http://www.whittakers.com.au/?gclid=...dEzLlUw#/home/

and here is the one............................. Dark Ghana........72% Cocoa. just look http://www.whittakers.com.au/?gclid=...s/darkghana27/

Comment

Guess what? Alastair....I was going to post an article on dark chocolate, such as the above. Saw it yesterday. Great minds think alike, heh? I can't remember which posting I was reading, though. I keep myself to one largeish dark choc bar a month, eked out for one whole week. Thanks. Joan

Comment

I saw another article about this but they did say that this didn't apply to diabetics!!! Shucks!

Alastair

Comment

Don't like dark chocolate. Cadburys have brought out some new chocolate bars here. Perhaps you already have them in other countries? They are called "Marvellous Creations" and there are 3 varieties with various goodies in them. The one I like best has like smarties plus jelly bits in it. My son pinched a bit of it the other day and didn't like the jelly bits so I am going to keep buying it....lol!

Elda

Comment

Dark chocolate is vitamin and mineral rich, which not only help cardiovascular ailments, but can help prevent strokes. It can slow aging, protect from some cancers, blood sugar, and improve the quality of the brain. Eating dark chocolate daily may offer a long-term, cost-effective way to reduce cardiovascular events in patients at risk for heart disease. It has a direct effect on the cells that line the veins and arteries which could help in reducing heart disease.

Comment

I'm sure Cadburys did a chocolate sandwich with two layers of milk chocolate with a layer of dark chocolate between.

So you remember the 5 boys chocolate bar?

I mind when we are in Kuwait my father would buy a box of the cadbury's penny bars of chocolate with 120 to a box and they would site in the fride so they wouldn't melt.

I also remember Fry's did a box of Hazel nuts in chocolate and the chocolate was really thick.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
              X