Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students, Parents in Boston Suburb Defend Teacher After Controversial Commencement Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students, Parents in Boston Suburb Defend Teacher After Controversial Commencement Speech

Critics were shocked to hear David McCullough tell a graduating class of high school seniors that they are "not special," but the students and parents of Wellesley, Mass., school rallying around their favorite teacher.

Bucking the norm for such speeches, McCullough skipped the platitudes in favor of some blunt talk, telling the class of 2012 in the affluent Boston suburb last Friday that although they may have been "pampered, cosseted, doted upon, helmeted, bubble-wrapped" by their parents, "none of you is special."

While the speech sparked a media frenzy, it was a huge hit in Wellesley, where several audience members said McCullough's realism was breath of fresh air.

I heard about this speech on the CTV news channel so did a search and found it at http://abcnews.go.com/US/commencemen...0#.T9NwCZsr1jQ

Alastair

Re: Students, Parents in Boston Suburb Defend Teacher After Controversial Commencement Speech

Of course, I am one of the "ancients" as kids today think of me, but I do observe in my own grandchildren's parents, the tendency to coddle, wrap them in cotton wool (Brit speak). I grew up entirely differently, cutting grass, doing jobs around the home for no $, etc. We "found" our own projects to do, & I actually tried to raise my own 3 kids in a similar way. (They've complained that "we were poor". NOT so.) I do agree with this teacher overall. Just my own opinion. Joan

Comment

Re: Students, Parents in Boston Suburb Defend Teacher After Controversial Commencement Speech

I did find his complete speech and a video of it at http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ial-video.html

Alastair

Comment

I agree with the man. He is absolutely right. It may seem like a big deal graduating high school, at the time. I can guarantee that in 10 years time no-one will ask to see their graduation certificate or even their exam marks.
        This is only the start of their lives. It's what they do from now on which counts.

Elda

Comment

Working...
        X