Whiskers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskers

I got in this email and thought I'd share as it's not something I have come across myself and it is an interesting question...

Dear Mr McIntyre
    I'm interested about scottish highland's history from several years and I would have submit you a question; in the "Anecdotes of Castle Grant" reported by Fraser in 1883 is described a ritual that for some historian reminds a link with celtic ritual of tanistry in the clan Grant of Freuchie:

"'' A sense of kinship and identity must have been strengthened when Ludovick Grant of
    Freuchie made a settlement of his estates on his eldest son, Colonel Alexander Grant of Grant, in
    1710; at a formal and elaborate ceremony the old laird resigned the leadership of the clan to his
    heir. This selection of the heir to the estate before the witness of the clan is reminiscent of the
    'tanistry' of the early Irish law tracts by which the successor designate or heir presumptive, an
    tanaiste, was chosen within the ruler's lifetime.

[The Laird of Grant] made all the gentlemen and commons of his name wear whiskers, and make all
    their plaids and tartan of red and green, and commanded them all to appear before him at Ballintome,
    the ordinary place of rendezvous, in that uniform, in kilt and under arms, which order was complied
    with . ''

Fraser 1883, III, 326-7 "

My question is about the request of Ludovick Grant to his clansmen, not about a standardization of the clansmen plaids and tartan colours but to the request "to wear whiskers": what kind of simbolism can explain this very peculiar request in selfrapresentation of the clan? Also, in some portrait of Grant family members of cadet branches (the portrait of Alastair Mhor Grant by Waitt or in the portrait of Robert Grant of Lurg, realized in 1769) the Grants here depicted shows long mustaches or full beard (in full XVIII° century, very uncommon to see).
    Sorry for my english

Best Regards
    Simone Boscolo.

And so an interesting question. Any thoughts?

Alastair

Re: Whiskers

Could it have anything to do with the problem of electric razor batteries that Alastair discusses in this week's introduction to the newsletter?:wink:

Comment

Re: Whiskers

That sounds like the fact that Scots couldn't find any copper wires in the whole of Scotland so they assumed that we had wireless internet before anyone else <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Working...
      X