Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EFTA

Hi Al,
    I thought I had better do a wee bit of research about EFTA.

Here is a quote from the official EFTA site:-

Norway and Switzerland were among the founding Member States of EFTA in 1960. Iceland joined EFTA in 1970, followed by Liechtenstein in 1991. Norway, Iceland (from 1994) and Liechtenstein (from 1995) are also parties to the European Economic Area (EEA) Agreement with the European Union, while Switzerland has signed a set of bilateral agreements with the EU*.
    Although the four EFTA countries are small, they are world leaders in several sectors vital to the global economy. The two EFTA Alpine countries – Liechtenstein and Switzerland – are internationally renowned financial centres and hosts to major companies and multinationals. The two EFTA Nordic countries – Iceland and Norway – stand out in fish production, the metal industry and maritime transport.

So now I know what and who EFTA are. They are not the EU but are parties to the EEA (whatever that means).
    Just like reading a dictionary I now have to go and do more research.
    Anyway why do the SDA think that we could join the EFTA group of 4?

I've now read up on the "Very complicated" relationships among all the parties. As far as I can see it still means "more government and rules" and why would we join into that if we have just gained independence.
    More and more am I convinced that we should NOT separate.

Sandy
    Last edited by sandyc; 17 June 2012, 07:03.

Re: The EFTA

Found the SDA's position which can be viewed at http://www.scottishdemocraticallianc...land-in-europe

Scotland in Europe

"Scotland in Europe" is not an empty phrase. Scotland is in Europe whether we like it or not. That does not mean that we have to be a part of the undemocratic 27-member European Union (EU) representing just over half of the total number of european states.

Membership of the EU has been and continues to be an economic disaster for Scotland.

The SDA advocates membership of the 47-member Council of Europe (CoE), the 56-member UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), the 56-member Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), which are far more representative of Europe as a whole than the EU.

The SDA also advocates Scottish membership of the 30-member European Economic Area (EEA) and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) in order to achieve all the economic and trading advantages of European cooperation while avoiding the worst of the EU's centralist mismanagement and inappropriate regulations.

The SDA emphasises its commitment to cooperation in Europe, and to the European ideals, but at the same time is determined that Scotland's rights and interests are going to be upheld in the process.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X