Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Question

Hey All,
    Here it is. I went to fill up my car today. As I started the pump, it went real slow. I kept thinking "holy cow, this is taking as long as when I do fill up". Finally I went to the office and told them that something had to be wrong as I have been here forever and it says I pumped 1-1/2 gallons and the cost matched the amount by charging me $3.92. They told me that they were changing the prices down right now and they would check it later. Pull to the next pump. So I did and I was only able to pump .11 cents worth. Got frustrated thinking maybe something was wrong with the gas tank or whatever and went home. Halfway, I noticed that I had a really FULL tank of gas. I figured that while they were changing the prices, the pump must not have registered correctly. The receipt reflected the amounts I listed. Should I go back??? I tried to tell them something was wrong but they didn't want to come see. I am thinking that I am trying to convince myself that I did no wrong. I am not the best person, however, I try!! Just wondering what y'all think. Thanks.

Re: Moral Question

Well you did try and tell them something was wrong so from my point of view there is nothing more you need to do.

Alastair

Comment

HI, Diane....Knowing myself, I'd probably go back & explain the whole "ball of wax" to the proprietor, then IF he blows it off, I would. Guess that's my philosophy in a nutshell. Joan

Comment

Well, I had to call the manager and I told him what happened. He said he remembered me telling them that something was wrong. He said it was his fault not mine. He also said he learned a good lesson that will never happen again when he changes the price of gas. I offered to go back tomorrow and we could estimate the cost since we don't know exactly how many gallons I got. He said absolutely not and told me that everyone there at that time got the gas for .32 cents a gallon. Wow!! He did thank me and told me that I was the only one who called him and told him about the price charged and he thanked me and told me I had a good conscience. I have this belief that what goes around comes around, karma, etc. and I couldn't stop worrying about having the bad mojo come back at me. I have my grand-daughter, my daughter getting a job as an x-ray tech, my son's upcoming marriage, my health, and my husband, who is a builder, who has recently gotten a really good job. Work has been so slow with our economy. Alastair, I do agree with you but now I don't have to feel badly. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post
          Hey All,
          Here it is. I went to fill up my car today. As I started the pump, it went real slow. I kept thinking "holy cow, this is taking as long as when I do fill up". Finally I went to the office and told them that something had to be wrong as I have been here forever and it says I pumped 1-1/2 gallons and the cost matched the amount by charging me $3.92. They told me that they were changing the prices down right now and they would check it later. Pull to the next pump. So I did and I was only able to pump .11 cents worth. Got frustrated thinking maybe something was wrong with the gas tank or whatever and went home. Halfway, I noticed that I had a really FULL tank of gas. I figured that while they were changing the prices, the pump must not have registered correctly. The receipt reflected the amounts I listed. Should I go back??? I tried to tell them something was wrong but they didn't want to come see. I am thinking that I am trying to convince myself that I did no wrong. I am not the best person, however, I try!! Just wondering what y'all think. Thanks.
          I wouldn't worry. I think your spot in heaven is already reserved.

Comment

Diane,
            Well done lass, you did all the right things and were rewarded for your honesty. :redrose:
            Gordon.

Comment

Well considering you did let them know, and it fell on deaf ears, I would put it down to good fortune on your part.being an honest person myself,I would have mentioned it to them as well. However, we all know we have the feeling we are getting ripped of at the pumps, I for one would put it down to karma..
              Euan..

Comment

You did the right thing and it seems that you have your reward - your conscience is clear and you feel good. Everything else is "gravy"...
                Sandy

Comment

Working...
                X