Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling to USA from Australia - tips on "tipping"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling to USA from Australia - tips on "tipping"?

I am travelling to the USA from Australia, and was wondering what the correct etiquette is when it comes to tipping? We don't tip in Australia, so please be as specific as possible as I don't want to offend anyone by being ignorant. Who do you tip, and how much? Thanks!
    appearances of bed bug bites

Re: Travelling to USA from Australia - tips on "tipping"?

Wait staff in the United States are legally allowed to be paid below the Federally mandated minimum wage. The custom is to tip wait staff 10-15% to make up the difference. Even with tips they are unlikely to be financially solvent.

It is even worse in Wyoming as patrons resent the practice and are poor tippers. Restaurants have closed because they could not keep wait staff.

There is a riddle that goes something like: "what is the difference between a Wyoming restaurant patron and a canoe?"

"A canoe is more likely to tip."

Comment

Originally posted by miolchu View Post
      Wait staff in the United States are legally allowed to be paid below the Federally mandated minimum wage. The custom is to tip wait staff 10-15% to make up the difference. Even with tips they are unlikely to be financially solvent.

It is even worse in Wyoming as patrons resent the practice and are poor tippers. Restaurants have closed because they could not keep wait staff.

There is a riddle that goes something like: "what is the difference between a Wyoming restaurant patron and a canoe?"

"A canoe is more likely to tip."
      That is so wrong. No-one should be allowed to pay below the minimum wage. I found in the USA that certain people (eg porters at the airport and in hotels) actually held their hand out waiting for a tip. It was embarrassing to me.

Elda

Comment

A recent study found a worker putting in 40 hours on minimum US wage could not afford a 1 bedroom apartment in any state ( I assume the results did not include the extras of food, electric, etc.). 88 hours on minimum in New Jersey would cover the cost of the apartment. Still need that third job!!!

Comment

Just have one question for the original poster. IF you are traveling to the USA from Australia, why did you post a USA flag? Just a curious person. Thanks. FriedaKateM

Comment

Joan, that was my thought as well, also virtually nothing in the profile.

Ranald

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
              Just have one question for the original poster. IF you are traveling to the USA from Australia, why did you post a USA flag? Just a curious person. Thanks. FriedaKateM
              I had the same thought when I read the original post yesterday, and as Ranald stated the profile is as bereft of detail as "Mother Hubbard's Cupboard"

Comment

Most days I am deleting spam in the community. One sign of spam is where the person uses their signature as a web address link. I will normally delete all such messages and ban the user.

When I ban a user I am also banning their IP address so they have to work even harder to circumvent the system. I am of course flattered that they spend so much time trying to spam us as they must rate our wee community very highly <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                X