X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Restoring Cabinet Doors

June 26, 2012

Oklahoma summer has arrived with temperatures in the triple
    digits. We are like an old bear, huddled up in a cool space, usually.
    Today though, I’m using the heat to dry a stain on my kitchen cabinets. The back part of the house is cool and we can run there
    for relief.

Here are some tips should you be insane enough to attempt this chore.

Six months ago I scrubbed off the sticky fingerprint along with furniture polish melded into the surface of the cabinets. The so-called Oak fronts were obviously not that but instead, a white pine is more of what they are. This scrubbing left obvious light places where there is the most wear. Patiently I wait for a day like today when the oil based stain can dry. The choice for color is fruitwood and even though this has a bit of a red color, overall, with rubbing the stain into the wood a nice blend is made.

The stain is poured out onto a plastic covered paper plate. A wide soft bristle brush is what you will use. Dip the brush into the stain and then bounce it off a folded paper towel to take out the excess. This in art circles is called a dry dry brush technique.

Rubbing the stain into the wood showing light wood is possible and quickly, lightly going over the rest of the door will work.

My cabinets are like new again even if they are slow about drying.
    As soon as they are dry I will put a clear sealer on them. This will
    dry much quicker and is a necessary thing to do so that the wood will be easier to keep clean.

A poem for you.

Ode to a Broom

Within the walls of this small room
    Stands sturdy, surely certainly a broom.

She is quite unobtrusively in the corner
    And could claim kinship to Jack Horner.

The vacuum sweeper has taken her place,
    Covets all things of fabric and bare floor’s space.

Gone are the days when rugs hung on the line
    While harried housewife’s broom beat just fine.

And I? Must I have or voice an opinion?
    “Nahhh,” I say, “Let the vacuum take dominion.”
Working...
X