Summer gettogether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer gettogether

Some of us turned up for a wee get together hosted by the NATO Priory. I think we all had an enjoyable time. Took a few pictures which I'll attach to this message.

We were talking about how we must do something about our email list of members as when the email was sent out inviting everyone to come along to this event at least half of the email addresses bounced. So I suspect this is going to become a major issue for the new Prior.

Our NATO colleague had to attend another event so we didn't have much time with him to find out more about what they do.

We also found out that our current Grand Commander is retiring in November and as Nola is also retiring as the Prior of St James it looks like she's to become the Grand Chancellor. I would say that you need to have some money to do this job as you have to attend all the International events and that can be quite expensive with flights and hotel bills and of course all the time you have to take off to attend these. And of course as Canada is a huge country its even expensive getting to Edmonton and Ottawa.

I was also presented with my GOTJ starburst... at least I think that is what it is called.

I proposed a new Canada wide event which is to help me with building the Electric Canadian web site. As some of you may remember I was not at all happy to hear that most Canadian children know little or nothing of their own countries history so I decided to try and do something about it. So I also asked everyone if they could help with this by digging up some ethnic histories. Like one of our members has a Greek ethnic background and he was telling me Greeks came over in two waves... one in the 1920's and the other in the 1970's. So he's going to try and get me some information about this.

Matthew, who is Dutch, has written a book about his life in Canada and he's going to email me a digital copy to put up on the site. So all this makes an excellent start and hopefully it will just get better.

So all in all a good time was had.

I should add that the portrait is Camilla who was presented with it when she was over with Prince Charles on a visit to Canada for the Queens Jubilee. Also the food was excellent and what you see is all the was left... I should have taken a photo when it was first put out. And the picture with Nola and the portrait has the other person from the NATO priory and I can't remember his name I'm sorry to say.

Alastair
    Attached Files

Re: Summer gettogether

Alastair,
    Great photographs, :cool: It's amazing how the smile on ones face lights up when a pretty lass has her arm around your shoulder.

Gordon. :angelic:

Comment

You're looking well Alastair. Who is the attractive, blonde, older lady in picture 4? Don't know about anyone else but the portrait of the Duchess of Cornwall doesn't look right to me. There is something not right with her hands....I don't know how to explain it, they just don't look as if they belong to her.

Elda

Comment

Alastair, just you behave, as that lass is a dab hand with a large sword, and might have a sgian dubh in her left hand....

Great photos, and looks like a good meeting, enjoyed by all.

Ranald

Comment

She's the wife of the Past Prior Elda. And that's Savannah with her arm over my shoulder... she's Nola's grand-daughter. And I agree that the Duchess of Cornwall's hands look odd.

Alastair

Comment

Elda, the artist should have noticed the left sleeve was 'caught up' thereby showing a large section of the forearm.

I have modified the photo a little, with the sleeve covering more of the forearm. Perhaps this might look better?

If you put your own hands in similar positions, you will find that the three fingers of the left hand, do not show to the front.

It would have been better, to have the right hand over the left one, and the right sleeve would only have to be 'pulled down', a little.

Ranald
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ranald; 28 June 2012, 07:26. Reason: added a line

Comment

Working...
            X