Scottish Historical Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Historical Review

I've been working my way through Volume II of this publication and have been extracting interesting articles from it. I decided to edit this message to add why I added these articles as I thought it might be useful to know.

The list so far includes...

Early Scottish charters prior to A.D. 1153:
    With notes and an index (1905) By Sir Archibald C. Lawrie

To me this article dealt with some of the earliest documents available in Scotland and so I wanted to have this available for possible future research.

Dunottar and its Barons
    By J. Crabb Watt

While reading this article I found not only did it give some excellent information on the Keith family but also some interesting lists of furniture to be found in the castle. Considering the castle is now a ruin I found it interesting to extrapolate from this account what the castle might have looked like in days when it was lived in.

The Use and Forms of Judicial Torture in England and Scotland
    By R. D. Melville

While in various writings of history there are accounts of torture I've not yet come across an account dedicated to the subject so thought this would be a good account to add to the site.

Some Sidelights on the History of Montrose's Campaigns
    By George Duncan

This is one of those accounts that adds to the story of Montrose. I had previously recognised the quite significant role the MacDonalds played in his campaign which was the main reason for making this account available.

The Mackintoshes and Clan Chattan
    A review. Also includes a pdf book about the Mackintoshes.

I have always had an interest in the Scottish clans and it seemed to me that this account added to our knowledge and mentions previously unknown sources.

Thomas Dickson LL.D.
    In memoriam by J. Balfour Paul

I could have added this person to our Significant Scots as he did much to preserve and make knows a lot of Scottish history. As the article notes not much was known about him despite him doing very valuable work and felt he deserved to come to our notice and hence added this In Memorian about him.

Miss Katherine Read
    Court Paintress by A. Francis Steuart

It's not often that you read of an attractive single woman travelling to Italy. And of course she was noted as the only woman in Italy that was doing Portraits. It is also interesting to read her notes about how irritated she was in not being able to walk around the city on her own.

The Charitie of the Boxe
    By E. Maxstone Graham

I liked this article as it shows how in one area of Scotland they people did some very good charity work.

The Earl's Ferry
    By George Law

Having personally visited this town in the East Neuk of Fife I felt this article added a lot to the history of the area.

The Scottish Peerage
    by J. H. Stevenson

This is really a review of what the Scots Nobles did or did not do for Scotland and its people. The Scottish peerage shares in much of the antiquity of the Crown. There seems to be a great probability that some of the most ancient of our northern earldoms derive from the even more ancient Maormars by descent rather than by conquest. Evidence of the original character of these Celtic officers of the time of Malcolm Canmore or earlier is, no doubt, hard now to find. But it is known that they ruled over the ancient districts of Ross, Moray, Buchan, Mar, Mearns and Angus, and that some of them were latterly denominated earls, or were, in Malcolm’s time, succeeded by earls of the same territories.

The Municipal Institutions of Scotland
    By James D. Marwick

THERE seems to be no reason to doubt that, at a time anterior to any existing Scottish legislation, the little village communities which grew around Royal and Baronial Castles and Religious Houses, or on sites otherwise suitable, cultivated —with the sanction and largely for the benefit of their lords— such scanty trade as was then practicable. But their position was precarious. They were probably in a position of absolute villenage, and had no rights or privileges save such as the policy or caprice of their lords allowed. The protection they enjoyed was also burdened with heavy impositions. But in process of time the Sovereign and the more powerful nobles came to recognise it to be their interest to encourage the development of the little trading communities which had sprung up around them, and this they did by the concession of privileges in the form largely of monopolies and exclusive dealing. In the communities thus formed societies known as hanses or guilds were instituted, and the privileged members of these communities, in process of time, claimed the right to administer the affairs of the burgh in which they existed, to the exclusion of the humbler classes of craftsmen.

This is the kind of writing that makes one want to explore more about how our ancient businesses developed.

You can get to these on our Historical Articles Page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...cles/index.htm and they start from item 262 and so fa go through to item 273.

A couple of them are reviews of books and in these cases I have been able to find a pdf version of the book and so have made it available on the page for you to download if you with.

Alastair
Working...
X