Australian writes a book about 19th century Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Australian writes a book about 19th century Scotland

I remember when this song first came out 'It's a working man I am, and I've been down underground and I swear to God if I ever see the sun'. Rita McNeill did a great job of it. There's also a song 'Along the Miners' Rows' and I can't recall the composer/singer but it will no doubt be on youtube.com.

Comment

Some months since the last posting here .. hope you don't mind me putting in my 2p worth.

Rita MCNEIL wrote the original song, 'It's a Working Man I Am', although others have changed some words or added verses to suit themselves / audience. Rita is from Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia. She very often appears with 'The Men of The Deeps' when singing this particular song. They are a group of former coal miners from Glace Bay / Sydney area of Cape Breton Island. If you are ever in Big Pond Cape Breton Island during the summer months, stop in to Rita's tea room. If she is home in CB, that's where she'll be and might even be the one who serves you. She's always up for a chat if the place isn't very busy.

'Along The Miners' Rows' was written by Bill ADAIR of Glasgow (Scotland). Written about the Auchengeich colliery disaster of 1959.

A few 2C lived in Lochgelly, Kirkcaldy & Lochore. Father was in the pits in through the 1950s & '60s. When the pits began to close down, they went down to Yks. Although the older two boys had gone to the pits in Fife, when they moved south the father did his utmost to keep them out of the mines. Eventually they did finish apprenticeships in other fields, then helped make sure their younger 2 brothers also stayed topside. As we know, the pits started closing down in Yks as well. Hard life is that of a miner, but a coal miner's is more so.

Comment

'The Men of The Deeps' ~ The second part is poem like, followed by a song, both in tribute to the 26 coal miners who lost their lives in the Westray mining disaster near Stellerton Nova Scotia on 9th May 1992. The bodies of 11 miners are still entombed in the deeps. The mine closed forever with this disaster, ending 200 years of mining on the Foord seam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westray_Mine

Comment

Working...
        X