Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat and drought

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat and drought

Getting it back on subject - 96F here in NJ today. Enough already!

2. Re: Heat and drought

Lizzie & all...I agree, this has been the worst summer I can remember here in SE Indiana. The corn is about 3 ft tall, with tassels, but no ears and/or silks to catch the pollen. The bottom of the stalks are yellow to brown, dried up. The heat is ungodly. Probably that's why Tom & all of us are talking about frying!!! As I speak, at 10:20 PM, it is still 81 degrees F. Muggy, with extreme humidity. My cats lie on the bare kitchen floor, or keep their heads on metal strips between rooms. A couple of them lie in the bathtub, as the porcelain is coolish.

Also, off the subject again, this is the very first time I've opened this site up in Mozilla Firefox. So far, all is good. I tried to type in BBC news.co.uk addie, but this also was denied to me. What a weird problem with the computer!!!

My step-grandson, Matthew, who's a farm hand, says that likely most of the farmers will chop the corn down, & then age it & put it into silage, as feed for the cows. No real corn kernels as yet. I did see a healthy soybean crop today, in coming back from Cincinnati, but not sure now, if it was in Indiana. Just the ramblings of a hot "mama"...HA!!!!! Joan

3. Like Lizzie, 1938 Observer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    Getting it back on subject - 96F here in NJ today. Enough already!
    Lizzie,
    Sorry about the deviation, all that talk of food cooking turned my head

Back to basics, temp here today is 13C [winter], summer maximum is about 24C

Hope all you folks over there have some relief soon from the current conditions

Gordon.

5. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like Diane, FriedaKateM liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh Gordon.
    Unfortunately to two do go hand in hand. Things seem to be pretty bad out in the corn belt with dire predictions of food shortages. When I look at the price of groceries compared to just last year, I cringe at what is ahead for those low on the totem pole.

7. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like 1938 Observer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder why it is that North America seems to go from one extreme to another weatherwise? Surely there must be a scientific reason?

Elda

9. Like Diane, 1938 Observer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glesgalass View Post
    Wonder why it is that North America seems to go from one extreme to another weatherwise? Surely there must be a scientific reason?

Elda
    Maybe it's all the "Hot Air" from the presidential election run-up

11. Like Diane, Lizzie liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glesgalass View Post

Elda
    Perhaps Gordon is onto something.

13. Like Diane, Lizzie, 1938 Observer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

All hell broke loose in this area yesterday afternoon. My eyes boggled when I looked at the radar and saw cell after cell of violent thunderstorms heading in the direction of the county.Went on for three and half hours. One vicious thunderclap ripped the bark off a tree across the road. Needless to say I almost jumped out of my 'you know what' when it ripped right overhead. When will the pols get their heads out of the sand - or their knickers?

15. Like 1938 Observer, miolchu, Diane liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

There will be more of this. And empty bellies do react.

CHICAGO, July 17 (Reuters) - U.S. corn production has shrunk 7 percent versus the government's downgraded estimate a week ago, a Reuters poll found on Tuesday, with a worsening drought likely to cause more damage before the month is out.

As the worst drought since 1956 begins to expand to the northern and western Midwest, areas that had previously been spared, analysts are slashing corn yield estimates by the hour. Some analysts are also starting to cut their forecasts on the number of acres that will be harvested as farmers opt to plough under their fields to claim insurance.

What began the season as a potentially record corn crop as farmers planted the biggest area since 1937, may now be the smallest in at least five years. Soybeans, which enter their key pod-setting phase later then corn, are increasingly at risk. The poll of 13 analysts pegged the average estimated corn yield at 137.2 bushels per acre, down 6 percent from USDA's current forecast of 146 bushels.

The USDA dropped its yield estimate by an unprecedented 20 bushels per acre in its report on July 11. Corn production was pegged at 12.077 billion bushels, the smallest in 5 years, down 6.9 percent from USDA's outlook. "We're losing more yield with the additional stress now in the northern areas which up until now had been pretty good," said Shawn McCambridge, analyst for Jefferies Bache.

17. Thanks FriedaKateM, Diane thanked for this post.
    Like 1938 Observer liked this post.
  18. Re: Heat and drought

Of course, I live in Indiana, in a very rural area. Last night, my electric went off at least 10 times due to lightning strikes nearby. Luckily I had unplugged the computer, & also the TV & DirecTV system. Even my cats noticed the blackness occurring, & the noise of the thunder.

Elda, to answer your question regarding the United States' weather, the meteorologists/weathermen blame it on two separate things....the El Nino in the Pacific Ocean west of California, & the Jet stream, which often drops down from Canada, etc. Besides which, our country is quite huge, & we can have snow in one state, rain in another, tornadoes in another area, etc. Also, when I was a child, we didn't get the same quantity of news in regard to weather, or anything such as we get now...on TV, radio, computers, cell phones, iPads, and so on. I do remember as a child, walking barefoot on the pavement, a day in summer when I knew it was 106 degrees in Dayton, Ohio, where I lived. Hot feet!! And remember another time, when a girl friend & I thought we'd toughen up our bare feet, by walking on a hot gravel road for a long hike!!!! Kids then did a lot of wild stuff, that my grandkids are NOT ALLOWED to do. All of us "hang in there!" Joan

19. Like Lizzie, 1938 Observer liked this post.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information