Television Advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television Advertising

I do keep saying this but there is far too much advertising on TV. I used to complain about having to pay the TV licence fee in the UK but now I'd cheerfully pay it just so I could watch advert free TV. With the BBC having no adverts I guess I watched at least 80% of my TV viewing with them thus no more than 20% of the commercial TV. I don't know what the situation is like now in the UK but I seem to remember that commercial TV in the UK didn't show the sheer volume of adverts that you get in North America.

I think the Governments should restrict advertising to no more than 4 minutes in each half hour. I was watching a National Georgraphic program the other day and I timed the adverts and I couldn't believe that they actually served up 6 minutes of advertising before they returned to the program.

Then I'm watching the British Open and again a huge number of adverts.

I've said for a while now that advertising is dumbing us down as folk are just not watching TV as much as they once did. Of course the media/marketing folk say they don't dumb us down but if you watch a National Geographic program you'll note that after their 6 minutes of advertising that they then proceed to show 1 or 2 minutes of what happened in the last segment. So that tells me they know we're being dumbed down as they have to remind us what we watched in the previous segment before they continue with the new one.

That's really why I subscribed to Netflix as you get advert free TV with them. Mind you if I could get the news on Netflix I figure my actual TV viewing would go down to no more than an hour a day on average.

Alastair

Re: Television Advertising

Alastair,
    We tend to watch very little commercial TV for that reason, also the ABC [Australia] has a far better quality content, if we do find a suitable commercial station program we tape it.......then replay and fast forward the commercials. As to the number of "Reality" shows..I will not even go there.

Gordon.

Comment

Sometimes the adverts come in handy when you want to make a quick visit to the loo :smile:

Elda

Comment

Al,
        you say the BBC has no "ads" but the reality is that they do. Not for commercial products but for their own programmes on all their stations.
        As to commercial TV my experience suggests that there is just as much (if not more) advertising in the UK as there is in Canada. Perhaps it is just the stations that I watch.
        Cable and satellite TV already charge an arm and a leg to watch the programmes so there should be a lot less advertising in my opinion. Not that that will make any impact~~~
        Al, if you want news why not watch the BBC on iPlayer?

Sandy

Comment

I'm happily watching the golf on Foxtel, costs me $60 a month, but no ads...and i can record what i can't watch to view at my leasure...
          I also watch very little commercial TV, but not just because of all the ads, it's because most of it is rubbish.Reality shows, cooking shows, reno shows,talent shows....Yawn!!!
          Euan..

Comment

Haven't heard about Foxtel Euan... have to check them out.

I mostly watch the news on TV where there is considerable advertising.

Alastair

Comment

Al,i don't think there's any way to get Foxtel in Canada, it's our pay TV company.
              Euan..

Comment

Working...
              X