You'll Never Walk Alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'll Never Walk Alone

“It’s hard to remember to drain the swamp, when you are up to your neck in alligators!” This is a favorite saying of one of my friends and I love to hear her say this at the time of one after another crisis coming down.

Forgive our Oklahoma crude vernacular for this is all to do with the world around which brings me back to the alligators. From all directions come the sneaky beasts who raise their heads and watch every movement as if to measure our weight and size. And if you don’t believe that just try to do bits and pieces of charitable works in the community. In only a week’s time I’ve witnessed unbelievable medical problems of such magnitude even just ten years ago none of these would have been known.

These are the hapless. Let us not even concern ourselves with the shake ups involving divorce, bankrupts, mental problems, acts of God, so on and so forth.

To feel like the ballerina who has struggled for years with training and sacrifice only to be hit by a truck minutes before her debut partially describes the despair involved when we watch the tube to see grieving people mourn the loss of life to one insane shooter.

So it is the necessary thing on this front to simply continue with draining the swamp, or better said, putting on a pot of beans, sweeping the floor, delivering flowers to a sick friend, or whatever else can be done to simply spread a balm of healing over a wound needing attention. If I dream of walking a tight wire over a chasm, well then, I’m a big girl. I can handle it and so can you my dear friend.

Re: You'll Never Walk Alone

I agree with you, Donna....having been around a pretty long time myself. I remember my 22 year old self, worrying about the Cuban Missile crisis. I remember JFK'S death. I remember hearing gun shots in Hamilton, Ohio, when I had baby/or babies in the apartment, & see the police chasing a guy in a car, both exchanging bullets. (Why did we look out?)

One thing that I have also learned...over a long lifetime, is to "keep on keeping on". OR, as the Brits would say, "Keep calm & carry on!"

This that we are experiencing online/TV/radio, etc., is one more devastating happening. Sometimes, I think about some of the pioneers, & their travails, i.e., dealing with outlaws, gunfights, people who want what you have, and so on. What we have on our plates today, is not much in comparison to the plague, or the 1918 world flu pandemic. Even in comparison to our parents dealing with the Great Depression, as my own parents did, with one child, & living off their garden. No wonder, my dad was "tight" with his money. Joan

Comment

Joan,
      Wise words from a lady who has "been there, done that!" This was the history I wanted to learve for my
      children so they could go on with the small trials they have in comparison to what their ancestors endured.

Who knows what is coming up next, though. The meddling with our basic laws is creating new problems. Greed
      and whatever other low habits to take away from plain simple good living seems to be a kind of plague for which
      there is a
      definite need for watchfulness and makes us uncomfortable. It seems Adam and Eve's desire to have what wasn't
      theirs continues to this day.

Thank you for the reply, Joan
      Donna

Comment

Donna

The UK is a small country, when it comes to land area, an one would have thought (and hoped) those in power could see the whole future picture.

This is NOT the case, and the downward spiral gains speed.

My future, short as it may be, can only see an impending disaster.

It would however appear that we are not the only country in this predicament.....Very sad.

Ranald

Comment

Ranald,
          I had friends for dnner last night who worked in education. Their stories about younger generatiions are
          frightening and the reason they said they could not have worked one more day after retirement. Home
          school is what many are goiing into now. I did that years ago with my daughter after all the experiences
          with schools and my son. It was good he was mild and not violent but it was an unbelievable life I lived,
          and so. . .I home schooled my girl. Her daughter graduated from public school but had to finish up on line.

One after another sorrows are piled upon me and I do just the best I can with offers of this or that small
          seemingly inconsequential things, but for years later one or another will thank me and hold almost a kinship, so
          in this way I maintain a shred of my sanity. You wouldn't believe what is really going on here. I almost can't.
          I have a friend who was in health care and we joke with each other about "running away." Can you do that at
          75. <grin>

Donna

Comment

I was talking to my pharmacist today and in our chat he said that in his opinion most doctors are doctors for the money and not for what they can do to help people. I have to admit that in Canada you need to be proactive with your health care as most of the doctors I've seen are in it for the money and seem to have no interest in doing well unless there is money in it.

Money is certainly our new GOD! I've done lots of biographies of famous Scots and almost all of them worked very hard indeed but were also willing to share with others.

Alastair

Comment

"You cannot serve God and Mammon at the same time". I read something along these lines a long time ago in Sunday School.

Comment

This was a favorite quote of my rich uncle, and I always thought about it. Never knew or really understood
                because he didn't have to worry about money as long as the oil was "paying off" with royalties. In later years he
                collected and sold artifacts and he called that "stopping his preaching work to make tents" as the apostle Paul had to do on occasion. :) Hmmmmmm didn't know dogs (Miolchu?) could write. <grin>

Comment

Working...
                X