Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of my "clipped" musings of other poets &/or writers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my "clipped" musings of other poets &/or writers.....

"Some also have wished that the next way to their father's house were here, and that they might be troubled no more with either hills or mountains to go over, but the way is the way, and there is an end." Bunyan

I think that this above writing can be construed in many different ways, which is one reason I do like it. For instance, one can think of "their father's house" as the real thing, or something else. Also, just think about our "hills or mountains..that WE have, to go over". Let me know what someone else thinks about it. And the name of the writer, Bunyan, not sure exactly who he/she is. Joan

Re: One of my "clipped" musings of other poets &/or writers.....

I've attached a book about him for you to read.

Alastair
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Joan

For a little information on the man, the following link will give you a start.

http://www.zdnet.com/goodbye-hotmail...om-7000001893/

Google search brings up many more pages,

My search suggests that the quotation is from Pilgrims Progress. However on one site with the book, a search does not show the words.

However, the wrtier Lewis in one f his his books quotes as under:-

[quote]John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, a book deeply important to Lewis. The pilgrim has to face dangers and tribulations, finding that "shortcuts" are anything but. Bunyan writes, "Some also have wished that the nearest way to their father's house were here, that they might be troubled no more with either hills or mountains to go over, but the way is the way, and there is an end."[quote ends]

Do you recall the source of the quotation?

Ranald
      Last edited by Ranald; 1 August 2012, 06:14.

Comment

HI, Ranald. Thanks for your post & also thanks to Alastair. I deliberately put in the "he/she", as I figured that it was the same author who wrote PILGRIM'S PROGRESS. And on the other hand, I have this written on a card, which I copied from that elusive "somewhere". Just thought it was quite a great meaning in a "nutshell" as my old dad would have said. I sometimes throw things out just to see what comes up....not a "tease", just a way of stirring things up. I like to see who will give me some answers & insights!!! When I talk in person to others, I also tend to "test" their intelligence in some way.

PS: Are you talking about C.S. Lewis, when you mention Lewis (in one of his books) ?

Your friend,

Joan
        Last edited by FriedaKateM; 1 August 2012, 17:42. Reason: addendum

Comment

Hello Joan

My mistake with the url, that one was for my computer guru !!

This is the one that should have been entered:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bunyan

Sorry about the fault, but it seems to have been a help for you, regarding the 'Outlook 'change.....

And yes, reference was to C S Lewis.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
          X