Of Mini Events and Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Mini Events and Men

According to this morning’s map a fire was at Glencoe which is not too far from here, maybe 40 miles? However we did have a
    very nice rain and the lawn has greened up over night.

One tidbit of constructive information is the use of my daughter-in-law’s food preserving vacuum machine. Her’s is like the 69.00 one here:
    http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/deni1910compactvacuumsealer.cfm?source=placpc&mr:t rackingCode=5CA0340B-35AF-E111-9598-001517B1882A&mr:referralID=NA&origin=pla&kw={keywo rd}&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=18259744182&mr:keyword={ke yword}&gclid=CNaRiM6P07ECFWaFQAodvFEAfQ

This machine is a wonderful way to store frozen vegetables. They come out as fresh as from the garden in spite of being in the freezer for long periods of time. I was going to store the dried apples in the freezer but with this vacumn they can be stored without refrigeration.

Evelyn’s memorial is over and life must go on around here. I never ran in the same circles of that clique and maybe just as well. It was hard enough to lose her. At her services they talked about how outspoken she was and I was a bit surprised by that. With me she was always totally respectful. My own children don’t listen as quietly and attentive as she did.
    Really never knew her heritage but her family of New York looked to be of mixed blood. Our Native American youth have alert attention to give to an elder. Maybe this was the intrinsic tie I had with her.

Her memorial dinner was held at our Oportunity Center where disabled children are taught.
    http://www.opcenterok.org/vocational.php

It was over fifty years ago when I had the boldness to walk into
    Cuzalina’s drugstore to visit with him. I took Rhonda who was such a sweet pretty baby with me. The gentleman and I hit it off so well I spent a bit of time with Mr. Cuzalina who was owner of the drugstore no long there. Rhonda was a beautiful baby but I knew then what was in store for us. Cuzalina and I visited about the need for children like her who would have to have special attention. What or who led me to him I can’t not remember. Probably my far sighted Uncle.

Cuzalina began running a news column and I can’t remember if it was weekly or more often. At any rate, it was about the special needs children in our Ponca City area who should have a
    place where they would be given an opportunity. I can’t remember how long he ran the column. The fact was that when the idea was presented to the city fathers and the citizens everyone was familiar with the idea and so began a concerted effort to gather funding and to make plans for this wonderful center we now have. I’m never, hardly ever, on the grounds, but whenever the occasion comes around I always remember the kindly man, Cuzalina, who so many years ago was the pioneer of this fine facility.

The last time I spoke with Evelyn I commended her on her work there and told her she would have a blessing from that. Little did I realize her blessing would be one of a quick death without all the chemo and misery of that.

Re: Of Mini Events and Men

Donna, the first link did not work for me.

Using the following link, is the sealer (1910 Deni) on the top row at the right?

http://search.hayneedle.com/search/i...=vacuum+sealer

Some parts of our country, are having excessive rain, with flodding, but I am saying nothing about where I live just in case !!

There are some centers here, with the purpose of encouraging children, to learn by playing.

With the recession, there is a problen for youths to find employment. If there are no jobs, how can they ever think of marriage and children of their own?

Regards

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 6 August 2012, 12:37. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ranald,
      That is a better link on the sealer.

Young people are hit the hardest by this economy just as my mother worried before she passed.

"They won't know how to cope," she said.

Of course we grew up at the end of the war and learned the things our parents did to survive.
      Youth these days aren't a bit concerned about doing any of those things and they are having a
      hard time.

Thank you for the link, I'll see if I can fix it.

Donna

Comment

Donna,
        My daughter [32] is well into home grown fruit/vegetables and preserving, should times ever get tougher her and her husband are well prepared, it is a good skill to have.................... They have spent the time participatinh in a number of courses at the venue listed below

.... The Agrarian Kitchen is a sustainable farm-based cooking school situated in a 19th century schoolhouse at Lachlan, 45 minutes from Hobart in Tasmania’s Derwent Valley, Australia. The Agrarian Kitchen was established by Rodney Dunn and his wife Séverine who moved from Sydney to Tasmania in July 2007 to transform the schoolhouse into Tasmania’s first hands-on, farm-based cooking school. Cooking classes commenced in January 2009.

check out all information on this wonderful place at the link.

http://www.theagrariankitchen.com/Th.../about_us.html

Gordon.

Comment

I'm certainly into self sufficiency myself. That's party why I used our Agricultural section to place a variety of book that I found interesting including one I really enjoyed which was a 10 acre farm. See http://www.electricscotland.com/agriculture/index.htm for a list of the books I've found.

Also if you go to YouTube http://www.youtube.com and put in the search box "homestead series" there are a whole pile of interesting videos.

Alastair

Comment

Gordon,
            I will check this out. Most recently the use of that machine to allow the saving of vegetables by
            a vacuum lock seal is wonderful and I have all the dried apples there. I've got to find someone to
            help me peel and core them though, maybe my husband. I do have a helper but there are other
            things for him to do while it is summer. The almonds were so prolific, too. All I have to do is crack
            them (shudder). :)

thks for reading, I will go to that link.

Donna

Comment

Thank you, will do on the "homestead series.
              Donna

Comment

Working...
              X