Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello

The Scottish midge is easily reconised, and is unusual, as it does not bite !

Ranald
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scottish Midge z.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	1350  

2. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Aye! well that explains why they took so long to go awa'. They took their wee jackhammers to me!
    Creag an Tuirc!

4. Like Ranald liked this post.
    Christmas Mahjong Champion! Christmas Tiles Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like

Here comes another "MOSQUITO" story. My husband (ex, now) & I, & 3 kids went camping a lot, with an old Buick & a used tent camper. This was in June-July 1979. We went through Ontario into Quebec, then on into New Brunswick, & into Nova Scotia, camping all the way.

We had heard of Oak Island in Nova Scotia, & the supposed pirates' treasure there, so we went across the causeway to the island. We went on into a little "visitor center" (?) (not likely). Anyway, a lady came from her house over to the little building, talking about what we could look at, & so on. Her name was Mrs. Blankenship, & they were millionaires, investigating the site for the hidden treasure. As we started out the door, she offered us a spray can of mosquito repellant. We stated that we already had some on!!!

Went gaily out the door, & onto a beach. I looked ahead at my middle child, a son, & he had on a dark green hoodie....with the hood up, tightened around his face as hard as it could be. His back was blackened by millions of mosquitoes!! I who at the time didn't smoke, lit a cigarette to make smoke, hoping it would keep them away. We soldiered on....saw the holes in the ground where the group was trying to find the gold doubloons, etc., but soonish, I made a lightning decision!!! I was standing on a rock, observing everyone else, looked down & saw a snake. The sound of mosquitoes was horrendous!!! EEEEEEEE....

I told my oldest son, who was just about 15-16 at the time, to go get the Buick, & meet us out in the parking area. I told everyone to run, & we all did, meeting my son, as he swerved to meet us. Paused only long enough to have all of us leap into the car, & back across the causeway we went. After that, when the kids acted up, or were "bad", we'd threaten them with sending them back to Oak Island!!! It turned into a family joke!! That's all, folks!! Joan (PS: hope I haven't told this story previously.)

6. Like Diane, Ranald, 1938 Observer, Alastair liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I haven't heard it before Oak Island sounds like my trip to Alaska. I went on a fishing trip to a VERY remote part of Alaska in August one year. The fish camp was fine as they sprayed or otherwise treated the area with something. But, when you left the fish camp area, the Mosquitos swarmed to an extent I was completely unfamiliar with. With a constant swatting motion in front of my face I could literally swat handfuls at a time.

The only good part was they didn't seem to swarm over water, so while we were in the boat, it was fine. Or wading in the river fly fishing. And, the bite seemed to vanish quickly. None of them lasted more than 24 hours.
    Creag an Tuirc!

8. Like FriedaKateM liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

hi me new comer here joined to share my knowledge and also to be an active member of this community

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and we look forward to hearing from you.

Alastair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information