L E Modesitt Jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L E Modesitt Jr

I thought it would be nice to profile this author as he's at the top of my list of Science Fiction and Fantasy authors.

He's probably best know for his Recluce series of books. This is a planet where an advanced race of humans were thrown in a space war and had to settle to survive. They had a science where neuro technology was the norm and their minds interfaced with the computers.

The planet they arrived at, Recluce, only had basic metal working but it was clear that another advanced race had plannaformed the planet but the people had lost most of their technology over many generations.

When this space faring race settled on the planet some of them found they had strange powers. Like some became healers as they could read illness in a body and with their minds could cure some of the illnesses.

There are White Mages who can mentally throw fireballs. Their are Black Mages who can heal and do strange things with metals and do things with the air and the earth.

I liked the style of writing and he's got a clever way of writing in that the hero usually has exceptional hearing and thus you get little asides where the hero listens to what someone is saying. It just adds that little extra to the story.

He also writes more hard Science Fiction which is also well written. You can see his range of books at http://www.lemodesittjr.com/

I have found over the years that I can re-read his books quite a few times which is quite rare.

Alastair

Re: L E Modesitt Jr

L.E. MODESITT, JR. is the bestselling author of over forty novels encompassing two science fiction series and three fantasy series, as well as several other novels in the science fiction genre.

Mr. Modesitt has been a delivery boy; a lifeguard; an unpaid radio disc jockey; a U.S. Navy pilot; a market research analyst; a real estate agent; a director of research for a political campaign; legislative assistant and staff director for a U.S. Congressman; Director of Legislation and Congressional Relations for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; a consultant on environmental, regulatory, and communications issues; and a college lecturer and writer in residence. In addition to his novels, Mr. Modesitt has published technical studies and articles, columns, poetry, and a number of science fiction stories. His first story was published in 1973. He lives in Cedar City, Utah.

Comment

Working...
    X