MacFarlane's Genealogical Collections
    Fowler's Paisley and Johnstone Commercial Directory 1845 - 1846
    Songs by John Henderson
    Clan Leslie International
    Clan Leslie Society of Australia & New Zealand
    Society of Antiquaries Scotland
    The Lake-Dwellings of Europe

Electric Scotland News
    Got in an update from Beth of Beth's Newfangled Family Tree...

Hi Everyone. Just to let you all know that I did not fall into a black hole.

I had my June issue ready to go but I could not get my brand new program from Adobe to change my PageMaker files into PDF files. Calls to Adobe and iYOGI netted nothing. I finally contacted someone at Adobe who told me that PageMaker 7.02 was obsolete and would no longer be compatible with anything. I ordered the InDesign program which was to be delivered in 7-10 days. This was May 30.

When Adobe finished with "helping" me, neither one of my BNFT sections were findable. I do have Section A in the computer...but will have to recreate it.

The time passed and no program. I called Adobe again only to be told that I had to order it again since - because we were moving - our credit card had been declined. This was one month after everything was ordered.

Another month went by - with no word from anyone. I called and called and called...only now I was told that InDesign was NOT an educational program and I could not use the educational discount. Finally, I agreed to pay full price and was told it would be delivered soon.

I finally got the program - which I have to learn how to use - about the first of August - just at the time that Tom's house had sold and we had to get everything moved out pronto.

I remember being very, very tired. We had been driving over 80 miles per day since February 13...moving things in the car and putting them away. We had about half a dozen trips in trucks with people you pay too...but as each day passed, I was tireder and tireder...I slept both ways in the car every trip...

It was about this time that I had some kind of short stroke which scared us silly. I have been fine since, but told NOT to get as exhausted as I was...which slows everything down considerably.

My office is set up and I am about 2 days away from having everything there put away. I go tomorrow to see if I need a Roto-Rooter job on my carotid arteries...

My plans are to start work on another BNFT next week - working part of the day on BNFT/InDesign and the rest of the time on putting away the last of the things now littering the living room and dining room floors.

I do apologize for the delay in everything. I could not do a publication without a program to do it.

We love our house in the woods. One day last week we saw SEVEN deer! We have not seen any bear yet - but I have heard wild hogs....and there is a goat farm by the road that takes us back to Highway 441.

I'm writing this on Wednesday 19 September.

Aye,

Beth

----

As to myself I had a long weekend in Toronto and took in the annual investiture of the Knights Templar. Lots of changes as Nola has now retired from being the Prior and we now have a new Prior and Chancellor. Nola is now going to become Grand Chancellor. Then in November the Grand Prior of Canada is stepping down and a new Grand Prior appointed. So lots to talk about. I have also stood down as the newsletter editor as I'll be taking on a new role as the newsletter editor for the Grand Priory of Canada.

----

As to the ScotNews feed I am managing to post up some news from Scotland but not getting in any information from the Scots Diaspora so hoping that will change. I did however get a couple of newsletters in from Scottish clan societies of which more below.

----

We have started to get some messages in the Diaspora forum in the Scotland's Future group of forums. So far we've concluded that we're willing to help but need local Scots to tell us what they need help on. Elda mentioned that she'd love to get some Scottish Cheddar cheese but while having a lot of specialty cheese stores in Australia she's yet to find any Scottish cheese. So looks like Scottish companies need to be more active in the export market or tell us of their efforts so we can give them some publicity.

We've also now launched the Monetary Policy Forum at
    http://www.electricscotland.org/foru...onetary-Policy

I might add that if some of our meat companies would only pack their products in cans we'd be able to import them. Like I love the good old plain Scottish banger so if they'd only seal them in tins I could import them. Baxters apparently did a run of black pudding in tins but it's now some months since they did that and they've still do to another production run. I can't imagine it would cost that much more to pack in tins and I know many ex-pats would be happy to spend a wee bit more to get them. My own favourite banger were Richmond Thick Irish sausages and I did email them to suggest this method of packing.

Our ScotNews feed is continuing but mostly with Scottish news. I have in fact visited a lot of Scottish American web sites to see if there is any up to date news but there is none. I've spread my net a bit wider to try and find interesting news stories and this week included some news from the churches in Scotland.

-----

I was watching the BBC news last night and noted an article saying that Africa are now sending Christian missionaries to Britain as the fall in church attendance in Britain is quite major. As I have put up several accounts of Scottish missionaries on the site detailing the really good work they did in Africa it's quite extraordinary that this is now reversed.

Electric Canadian
    -----------------
    I am amazed just how much of Canadian history is documented by Scots. I am also amazed how rare it is to find no mention of Scots in all the histories I've been publishing.

Canadian Monthly Magazine
    Published by the Vanderhoof-Gunn Publishing Company

I've now added Volume 17 and while still somewhat faint it is certainly readable.

This can be found at http://www.electriccanadian.com/life...zine/index.htm

The Real Cobalt
    The Story of Canada's Marvellous Silver Mining Camp by Anson A Gard.

We now have several chapters up...

The Real Cobalt
    Cobalt Lake and its surroundings
    The Cobalt Lake Mining Co., Ltd.
    The City of Cobalt Mining Co. Limited
    The Nancy-Helen Mines Limited
    Some other Lakes
    Romance of the Camp
    A Cluster of Good Ones
    Casey Mines
    Elk City - The New Cobalt

Here is how "Romance of the Camp starts...

The story is of a young man who has figured largely in the early beginnings of Cobalt. He was a mining engineer—a graduate of a Michigan college, putting himself through with his pen and by teaching district schools. After graduating, he went into many of the western mining camps. Somehow a fate drove him along from one to the other, for scarcely had he been well located when a “strike” would come and drive him on to the next. Being a Canadian, and hearing of the wonderful things of Cobalt, he came to find for himself the truth or error of the marvellous stories of the riches that lay hidden in this upper country. He reached here in March of 1904. He worked upon a claim he had staked during the remainder of that year and all throughout 1905. His money giving out, his father, a dentist, sent him $50 a month. Growing tired of hearing of no results, the father said: “Give it up and come home.” He had reared the boy and yet did not know him. “Give up? Never!” And that winter he went to a near-by village and clerked for a hardware merchant. Spring had scarce chased away the snows of winter when the youth was again at work upon his claim. He had never lost faith in the good pay that was leading him on to fortune. His pluck and perseverance made his father think that “The boy must have reason for his perseverance,” and the $50 per month was renewed. This, as above, was the spring of 1905. Later the father came to see what was being done with the money. He found his son, and an English workman, hard at work trenching, and incidentally he (the son) was the first one to try this means of finding veins. Now it is general.

"'Tis an Ill Wind That Blows Nobody Good ”

The black flies, which have made so many good Sunday School boys forget what their teachers told them, must have been as active in 1905 as they are this year. At any rate, they drove the father out of camp very early one morning. He wandered down to the edge of a little lake upon the claim, and while picking along its border, came upon a strange formation, which he carried back to camp. The minute the English workman saw it he cried out, “Hits the bloody bloom!”—while the son exclaimed: “At last! Father, you have found our fortune!” And so it proved, for by autumn the boy who had clerked in a store, rather than give up and go home a failure, could have bought out a hundred such stores.

That was not all. An adjoining claimholder had failed to find mineral and had abandoned his holding. Immediately it was restaked by the widest-known man in the camp—a man whose death has since caused more than one nation to mourn. He, too, failed to find paying mineral and gave it up. By this time the whole camp believed that there was silver on that oft-staked claim, and on Monday morning, following the Saturday of its abandonment, there were a half-hundred prospectors looking for enough to stake on. Forty-nine of them did not know that silver lay beneath a pile of brush hard by. The fiftieth one did know, but said not a word until his men came running in with “She’s staked!” That brush-pile flew in several directions, and the discovery stake was firmly planted. The fortunate one was the youth of whom I am writing. For this he and his men (for he has ever remembered the boys who helped him win his fortune) received $135,000. Incidentally the claim was capitalized for five million dollars, and has become one of the most famous in all the camp. The vein was but a “ stringer,” and running out, no other of much value has since been found, save a far-extending and generous “public,” many of whom might paper their dining-rooms with the stock, and thus get some use of it.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electriccanadian.com/tran...s/cobalt07.htm

You can read this book at http://www.electriccanadian.com/tran.../cobaltndx.htm

Reminiscences of the Early History of Galt
    and the Settlement of Dumfries in the Province of Ontario By James Young (1880).

Now have several chapters up of this publication and here is a bit from Chapter IV...

From about the year 1825, settlers began to arrive more frequently, and before the close of the decade most of the farms in the immediate neighbourhood of Shade’s Mills were taken up, and not a little land cleared and cultivated. The settlers were almost exclusively Scotch, and were very largely from Roxboroughshire and Selkirkshire. This arose chiefly from the exertions made in Scotland by Mr. Dickson, to direct the attention of emigrants to his Dumfries lands.

Besides articles about the township and the village, published in Chambers' Journal and the regular press, he wrote freely to leading Scotchmen on the subject, with many of whom he was acquainted. Among others he communicated with James Hogg, the Ettrick Shepherd, who took great interest in the matter, and was the means of securing many of the best settlers which the township obtained, not a few of whom brought letters of introduction from the poet to Mr. Dickson. A nephew and niece of his own were among the number, and it would appear as if, at one time, some hope was entertained that Hogg himself might be tempted to cross the water. However this may be, it is a well-attested fact that, during a trip of Mr. William Dickson, jr., to Scotland, he visited the poet, and offered him a farm in Dumfries, if he would come out and accept of it. Hogg laughingly replied, “The Yarrow couldna want him!” and that was the last heard of the matter.

About 1820, Mr. John Telfer was specially sent to Scotland to induce intending Canadian emigrants to settle in Dumfries. This gentleman, in conjunction with Michael Knox, for at least thirty years one of the “characters" of Galt, had entered the Hudson Bay Company’s service some years before. They soon tired of the hunting, trapping, and Indians of the North-west—which no one at that time dreamed would ever become part of Canada—but to escape from the Company’s service was at once difficult and dangerous. In company with two others, however, they ultimately took French leave, starting together from the Selkirk settlement, and were vigorously pursued by officers of the Company, with dogs and sleds, on the snow and ice. Through the assistance of friendly Indians, who concealed them for three months, they succeeded in making their way out of the country, and ultimately reached Shade’s Mills in safety. Mr. Telfer, who was an intelligent, energetic man, soon after his arrival in the village, bargained with Mr. Dickson, in exchange for part of the plains, about a mile south of Galt, to visit Selkirkshire, Scotland, and bring out a number of new settlers, This duty was, we believe, performed in a very satisfactory manner.

It was through these circumstances that Dumfries, especially the northern part thereof, became so largely settled by Scotchmen and Presbyterians. Rough and rugged though the township was, their energy and industry, stimulated by poverty, it must be confessed, soon found witness in the disappearing forests, The axe of the woodman, the falling timber, the merry “Yo-heave” of the Raising Bee, could, at certain seasons, be heard on every side—just as now, during the gladsome harvest time, the “whirr” of the mowers and reapers salutes the ear wherever you go.

You can read this chapter at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist.../chapter04.htm

You can read this book at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...galt/index.htm

Lovell's Gazetteer of the Dominion of Canada
    I am just not getting the time to put up this gazetter the way I want to so have started to add letters by pdf file. So far I am up to the letter M. You can see these at http://www.electriccanadian.com/gazetteer/index.htm

Peter Lougheed
    A great Albertan dies. By all account this was a remarkable man and so have taken the liberty of copying in some information about him which you can read at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...r_lougheed.htm

The Flag in the Wind

This issue was Compiled by Jim Lynch and in this issue he tells us about a radio program scheduled on BBC Radio Scotland on A History of Scottish Nationalism. I might add that in our Community, under our Radio link, we do have a link to BBC Radio Scotland where you can listen to this program.

You can read this issue at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Electric Scotland

Northern Notes and Queries
    Note: In the pdf version of this newsletter I am placing a graphic of the Contents page so you can see what is included in each issue. Note that from the 1894 edition we are using a new source to bring you other issues of this quarterly magazine.

1894 Articles 609 to 625

This issue can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...hern/index.htm

Kirkintilloch Town and Parish
    By Thomas Watson (1894)

This week we've added...

Walter Watson, Poet
    Poets and Poetry of Kirkintilloch
    James Moffat, Poet
    William Freeland, Poet
    John Gibb, Artist
    Bellfield Cottage, Kirkintilloch

Here is how the chapter on Bellfield Cottage starts...

What native of Kirkintilloch, now in the “sere and yellow leaf,” does not remember the familiar names daily and hourly in use among the inhabitants “when we were young?—Mr. Thomson of Bellfield, Mr. Bartholomew of Broomhill, Major Berry of Unthank (now Waverley Park), Mr. Inglis of Walflat, Bailie Freeland, Bailie Gemmil, and Bailie Dalrymple? the last-named gentleman being now the only survivor.

The beautiful suburb of Bellfield—which was named by Mr. Thomson after an aunt whose maiden name was Bell—although not then studded with handsome villas, had visitors who were afterwards known to fame. Fortunately Dr. Hedderwick was one of these, and he has given us his reminiscences:—

“What a host of happy recollections rise to my mind at the name of Bellfield Cottage, Kirkintilloch! It was a hospitable abode, and its proprietor, Mr. William Thomson, a liberal, sagacious, and unique landlord.

He was a bachelor, lame, and limping in his gait, delighting in the society of young people of parts, and keeping a singularly open table. At every week’s end, from Saturday till Monday, he had seldom fewer than ten or a dozen guests.

To be an artist, a musician, or a man of letters, was an “open sesame” to Bellfield. Of his numerous circle Mr. Thomson was himself the autocratic ruler, very precise and stem in his household regulations, but outside of these allowing the largest amount of freedom, and, even latitude.

The rest of this chapter can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter53.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...loch/index.htm

Shetland: Descriptive and Historical
    Have added more chapters...

Chapter XXIX. - Busta and Brae to Olnafirth.

Chapter XXX. - Olnafirth to Aith
    Travelling along the land-locked Voes of Shetland.

Chapter XXXI. - Aithsting
    Vemintry—The Old Laird of Fogrigarth.

Chapter XXXII. - Sandness
    Melby House—Holm of Collaster.

Chapter XXXIII. - Papa Stour
    The Ve Skerries. — Superstitions regarding Seals, &c.

Chapter XXXIV. - Foula
    West Coast of Walls—Hivda-Grind Bocks—Five Hills of Foula—Lum of Liorafield—Skua Gull— Precipices— Myriads of Sea-fowl— Supposed Carbuncle.

Here is how the chapter on Papa Stour starts...

SEPARATED from Sandness by Papa Sound, upwards of a mile in breadth, is the island of Papa Stour. The passage of this strait, always difficult, is sometimes dangerous, owing to the fiercely conflicting tides by which it is agitated. The island derives its name from stour, a Norse word signifying great, and the Latin papa, a priest. It thus signifies the great island of the priests, in contradistinction to Papa Little, and the still smaller island of Papa, in the Bay of Scalloway. There is every reason to believe that the papae who gave their names to these three islands were the ancient Culdee missionaries, who probably dwelt there.

Papa Stour is upwards of two miles in length, and nearly of the same breadth. The coast is much indented by voes, which form very good harbours. This island is one of the most fertile in the Shetland group. Its inhabitants (amounting in 1871 to 351), are almost entirely confined to the rich belt of cultivated land, which runs along the east side. Unfortunately, the island is almost totally unprovided with peat-moss. As a substitute, turf from the interior of the island has been dug to such an extent, and for such a long period, that now the soil is almost entirely removed, and, what was at one time beautiful green pasture, is now a barren desert of sand and gravel Such peats as the people do enjoy are brought from the somewhat distant islands of Muckle Roe and Papa Little.

As already mentioned, lepers from the western parts of the Mainland were sent to Papa, where they were accommodated in huts, at a distance from the houses of the natives.

Papa forms an excellent fishing-station. In addition to its own natives, several boat-crews resort thither in summer, to prosecute this important industry. The people of this island are primitive in their habits and very superstitious, many of them still believing in dreadful supernatural beings, who infest the commons in large numbers after . nightfall. Many Norse customs and pastimes lingered here after they had been forgotten in all other parts of Shetland, save Foula. Until within the last twenty years the “Sword Dance” continued to be performed during the winter evenings.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...2chapter33.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...land/index.htm

Robert Burns Lives!
    Edited by Frank Shaw

I am fortunate to have on my bookshelves most of the series of Ross Roy’s Studies in Scottish Literature and its subsequent reprints. They are a constant source of reference on the works of Robert Burns and are a treasure trove of writings pertaining to almost all things Scottish, men and matters. Volume XXX is dedicated solely to the study of Robert Burns. Then there is a double issue, Volumes XXXV – XXXVI, which has special meaning to Susan and me. The following is inscribed in my copy: “For Frank and Susan in appreciation of all they have done for Scottish literature at the University of South Carolina and as a token of friendship between the four of us. Ross” (4.22.08). The four include Ross’s charming and lovely wife Lucie, who served faithfully as Associate Editor of the series.

It is heart warming to know that these volumes are being readied for worldwide internet use to aid future generations, and it’s good to know that Ross will be continuing in an advisory capacity. I understand that when he decided many years ago to publish Studies in Scottish Literature, someone remarked Ross would have a hard time filling one volume. That was nearly five decades ago, and the volumes keep coming.

Today’s article began just this morning with an email from Patrick Scott regarding the future of the series. In rapid-fire response to my suggestion that the contents of his email be made public through the pages of Robert Burns Lives!, Patrick has shared the following update for our readers. (FRS: 9-20-12)

You can read this article "The New Studies in Scottish Literature Goes Digital" (and keeps print) By Patrick Scott at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives153.htm

Other articles in this series can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

Waddell’s Life And Works Of Robert Burns
    We already have a huge amount up about Robert Burns but we acquired this 2 volume publication and consulted with Frank Shaw and so we decided to serialise this on the site. It also has a number of excellent illustrations and some colour plates.

We added the next chapter to the second volume and you can read this book as we get it up at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/lifeandworks.htm

Reminiscences of the Royal Burgh of Haddington
    And Old East Lothian Agriculturists by John Martine (1883).

Found a wee video which shows you some pictures of the town. We aded the following chapters this week...

Old Haddington and the Market Cross
    Old Burghal Possessions
    The Tyne and its Spates
    Coal and Candle
    The Haddington Goat
    Haddington in the War Times

Here is how the chapter on Coal and Candle starts...

|N the 18th day of May 1593, Haddington was nearly consumed by fire. Tradition affirms that a careless maid-servant, who had put clothes to dry too near the fire, had ignited them, and so caused this dire conflagration. Many of the houses in the town at that time were made of wood and thatched, and would the more easily burn. The calamity is thus noticed in the town's records :—“On the 23d of May the Town Council thought good that the Provost (probably Sir William Seton of the Barns) and Mr James Carmichael, minister of Haddington, should travel with the king’s majesty and council and other noblemen for support to repairing the burgh, presently destroyed upon the 18th May instant, Thomas Spottiswood and Paul Lyle to ride with the provost and minister’s first voyage.” The following entry in the Council records shows the success of the minister and provost’s mission;—“December 8th,—The collection which was given by the City of Edinburgh to those who had their houses and geir burned within the burgh in May last, was ordered for distribution."

It was from the circumstance of this great conflagration having happened, that the following rhyme and warning, called “Coal and Candle,' was instituted:—

A’ gude men-servants where’er ye be,
    Keep coal and can’le for charitie,
    In bakehouse, brewhouse, barn, and byres,
    It’s for your sakes, keep weel your fires;
    Baith in your kitchen and your ha’,
    For oftentimes a little spark,
    Brings mony hands to meikle wark;
    Ye nourices that hae bairns to keep,
    Tak* care, ye fa' na o'er sound asleep;
    For losing o' your gude renown,
    And banishing o’ this burrow town.
    It’s for your sakes that I do cry,
    Take warning by your neighbours by.”

The name of the author has not been handed down.

From 1573 down to within thirty years ago, “Coal and Candle ” was proclaimed by the town-crier every night except Sunday, from Martinmas to Candlemas. After ringing his bell at eight o’clock, he commenced in a sing-song chant to cry it continuously through the principal streets of the town, which occupied half an hour or so. During the first two or three nights he was followed by a crowd of children.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter11.htm

You can read the rest of these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...gton/index.htm

MacFarlane's Genealogical Collections
    The importance of these collections as sources of genealogical information is evidenced by the fact that they are being constantly used by those making inquiries into family history.

PREFACE

The Collection of Manuscripts formed by Walter Macfarlane was purchased by the Faculty of Advocates in 1785 from his niece Miss Janet Macfarlane, for the sum of twenty-one pounds. Among those manuscripts, in addition to the two volumes of Genealogical Collections—now by the permission of the Faculty published for the first time—were The Geographical Collections, 3 vol 8., the publication of which is shortly to be undertaken by the Society; Collections relative to several Scottish Famillies 2 vols; Index to the Register of the Great Seal to 1762, 5 vols; Diplomatum regiorum quae in publicis archivis extant abbreviations, 10 vols.; several volumes of transcripts of charters, including the charters of Melrose, Balmerinoch, and other religious houses; and various other transcripts.

The following biographical notice of Walter Macfarlane is taken from The Chiefs of Colquhoun and their Country, by the late Sir William Fraser, vol. ii. pp. 99,100:

'Walter Macfarlane, one of the most laborious and accurate antiquaries of his age, was the son and successor of this John by his wife, Helen, daughter of Robert, second Viscount of Arbuthnot. He transcribed with his own hand many old cartularies and muniments deposited in private charter-chests. He was very liberal in allowing access to his valuable collections and transcripts, which are still consulted and often quoted by authors, being regarded as of high authority. To his industry we owe the existence of a copy of the Levenax Cartulary, the original of which is now lost. He married Lady Elizabeth Erskine, daughter of Alexander, sixth Earl of Kellie. Little is known of his history, which appears to have been chiefly that of a student, without any remarkable incidents to record. In Anderson's Diplomata Scotice, published at Edinburgh in the year 1739, the learned editors, Mr. Anderson and Mr. Thomas Ruddiman, in an acknowledgment of their obligations to those who contributed the original charters engraved in that great work, notice in favourable terms the assistance given them by the Laird of Macfarlane: “ In this list of most noble and most eminent men deserves in particular to be inscribed by us a most accomplished young man, Walter Macfarlane of that Ilk, Esq., Chief of the Macfarlanes, one of the most ancient of the clans, who, as he is conspicuous for the utmost urbanity, and for his acquaintance with all the more elegant, and, especially, the antiquarian departments of literature, most readily devoted much labour and industry in explaining to us the names of men and places. The eulogium pronounced upon him by Smollett is afterwards quoted. He died, without issue, at his town-house in the Canongate of Edinburgh, on 5th June 1767. After his death his valuable collections were purchased by the Faculty of Advocates, Edinburgh. His portrait, an excellent original painting, which exhibits a remarkably intelligent, manly, and open countenance, occupies a place on the walls of the Museum of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, to whom it was gifted in 1786 by his nephew, Walter Macfarlane. This portrait was engraved for the late Mr. W. B. D. D. Turnbull, for the purpose of being introduced into his “Monasticon of Scotland,” a work which was never completed.

You can read the rest of this Preface and download these two volumes at
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...macfarlane.htm

Fowler's Paisley and Johnstone Commercial Directory 1845 - 1846
    Containing Comprehensive and Accurate Directories of Paisley, Elderslie, Johnstone, Quarrelton and Linwood.

ADDRESS

G. FOWLER, in presenting to the public the Eleventh Edition of the Directory, returns his sincere thanks to those -who have supported this Work hitherto.

As the chief value of a work of this kind consists in accuracy of detail, and distinctness of arrangement, the present Publisher has in this, as in all his former Editions of the Directory, spared neither labour nor expense in securing these ; and as the compilation of a work of this kind is attended with a very great degree of labour, and not a little expense, which can only be compensated by an extensive sale of the Work, he trusts he will meet with a suitable degree of encouragement from a discerning public.

The Lists and Tables inserted in the appendixes will be found of the most useful description, and suitable not only to the Merchant and Trader, but to the Public generally—a Directory being not only a useful, but a highly necessary repository for enabling a commercial people to become acquainted with each other.

The Publisher could not help observing, in the course of his survey for this Edition of the Directory, that many of the numbers of the houses, &c., are either partially or wholly obliterated, and that many of the old numbers, which ought to have been obliterated when the houses were numbered on the present plan, are still visible —a circumstance that is apt to mislead or create confusion. He would, therefore, take the liberty of calling the attention of the Police Commissioners, and of Proprietors, Shopkeepers, &c., to these defects, with a recommendation to have them speedily rectified, that being essential to the convenience of strangers, and no less so to the safe and prompt delivery of letters and packages, in which every class of the inhabitants, but especially the Mercantile and Manufacturing classes, are interested; and is, in fact, an incumbent duty on the Police to see carried into effect.

You can read the contents page and download this directory at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rds/fowler.htm

Songs by John Henderson
    We got in a couple of new songs from John which you can read at the foot of the page at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerels.htm

Clan Leslie International
    We got in a copy of their newsletter for August 2012 which can be read at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...eint/index.htm

The clan are looking for a new newsletter editor so do consider this vital post.

I also noticed that they had an article on the "Old Kirk at St. Monans" and as I have quite a lot of history on that area and many pictures of the town and the Kirk not to mention the Castle I send them in some links. You can see our page about the town at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/eastneuk9.htm

Clan Leslie Society of Australia & New Zealand
    We got in a copy of their newsletter for Oct, Nove, Dec 2012 which you can read at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...etters/leslie/

I noted Barrie made a comment on his health...

I went into hospital on the 4th March for an operation to fuse the L3, L4, L5 and S1 vertebrae in my back. Unfortunately, the surgeon said anything that could go wrong went wrong and I was on the table for more than 12 hours. After one month in the hospital and another month in the rehab hospital I came home but I am still in a lot of pain and I cannot sit at the computer for more than half an hour or so. At this stage the doctors are unsure what can be done to help me. I shall just have to wait and see what can be done.
    Barrie Leslie, Gordon, NSW

Here is a fine example of someone who goes well beyond what should be expected of him by continuing to do this newsletter despite the pain he is clearly experiencing.

Society of Antiquaries Scotland
    I often get asked what FSA Scot means after my name and that simply means I am a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries Scotland. To date being a member means you get in 2 newsletters a year and an annual copy of a fine book on their Proceedings. You can download an application form at http://www.socantscot.org/content.asp?Page=250&Menu=

From 1 July 2012 there is no entry fee and the first year of subscription is:

Ordinary Fellow: £30
    Family Fellow: £15

Thereafter annual subscriptions are:

Ordinary Fellow: £60
    Family Fellow: £30
    Retired Fellow: £45

For your application for Fellowship to be considered it will need to be accompanied by the names and signatures from two currently subscribing Fellows of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. I am more than happy to be one of those names if you are having problems getting two names.

There are several forms of Fellowship in the Society. The main form is Ordinary Fellow, this entitles the Fellow to use FSA Scot and the other privileges of Fellowship (full voting privileges, the annual copy of the Proceedings, reduced entry to events and price of books, access to the Fellows' area of the website and copies of our Newsletter).

Where two Ordinary Fellows reside at the same location a reduced rate of subscription is available to those who waive their right to receive the Proceedings. This reduced rate is only available to Fellows who are normally resident in the same household as the first Ordinary Fellow, and both remain individual Fellows. Such subscribers are called Family Fellows.

Those who have been Fellows for ten consecutive years and who deem themselves retired are called Retired Fellows and may pay a reduced subscription. These Fellows maintain the same rights as an Ordinary Fellow. Fellows must inform the Administrator of their eligibility for Retired Fellowship.

Their web site is at http://www.socantscot.org/

In 2008 a proposal was placed by the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland before Historic Scotland, whereby the Society of Antiquaries would, with financial assistance, draw upon its extensive network of Fellowship and knowledge to compile a Scottish Archaeological Research Framework (ScARF). This would establish a datum of achievement in 2012 and attempt to sketch out the Research Questions that are visible now as we approach the next five years; enabling future research to be appropriately and economically directed.

The results to date from this work can be seen at http://www.scottishheritagehub.com/

The Lake-Dwellings of Europe
    I was researching the Rhind Lectures and came across this lecture about the Lake-Dwellings of Europe which includes information on Scottish Lake-Dwellings. As I already have up a page about them I thought I'd make this publication available. You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/pdf/crannogs.htm

And finally...

You Can Tell That You're Scottish ..... if,

You think scattered showers with outbreaks of sunshine and a cold northerly wind is good weather.

You are able to recognise regional dialect, such as Glasgow's

"Orrite pal, gauny gies a wee swatcha yir paper'n'at, cheers, magic pal"

or, from Aberdeen:

"Fitlike, loon? Furryboots ya bin up tae? Fair few quines in the night, min."

Scotland go 2-0 up against the French, and you immediately think that getting beat 3-2 would be "no' a bad result".

You have been to a church wedding where the football results have been announced during the service.

----

Life Support

Erchie, a lifelong Rangers supporter, had great centre stand tickets for the Celtic v Rangers Scottish Cup Final.

As he was sitting down, a fellow Rangers supporter came over and asked if anyone was sitting in the seat next to him. 'no,' Erchie said, 'the seat is empty.'

'That's incredible!' said the man. 'Who in their right mind would have a seat like that for the Scottish Cup Final and no use it? Especially as Rangers are aboot tae gie thae Tims a right guid hammering.'

'Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. My wife was supposed to come with me, but she passed away.' said Erchie. 'This is the first Scottish Cup Final we haven't been to together since we got married.'

'Och......I'm really sorry tae hear that. That's terrible so 'tis. But could ye no find someone else - a pal, a relative, or even a neighbour tae take the seat?'

Erchie shook his head.

'Naw, they're all at the funeral.'

And that's it for now and hope you all have a great weekend.

Alastair
    Attached Files
Working...
X