Commercial Television isn't giving value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Television isn't giving value

I did a video about my concerns about commercial television, news and advertising...

Alastair

Re: Commercial Television isn't giving value

Alastair,

There is much the same situation in Australian Television. Like you, we tend to watch a high proportion of ABC [the Government provider]. To watch a drama on commercial television is a waste of time in many instances as because as you become involved in the plot you are suddenly interrupted by 5 minutes or so of advertising [ at times this happens in the middle of a crucial scene] It probably does not matter to those who watch the endless drivel of these so called "Reality programs" as they only require the concentration levels of an alchoholic amoeba. I realise that advertising is required to fund commercial television, but, does it have to last for so long to get the message through??? I think not!!!. REMEMBER........ "Quality is Better than Quantity"

Gordon.

footnote............. I think the UK program "Grumpy Old Men/Women" could probably make a good case in this cause.
    Last edited by 1938 Observer; 26 September 2012, 23:49. Reason: additional phrase

Comment

Well in some ways Gordon good to know the state of TV in Australia is much the same and so what I said really applies to the wider world. I don't really know why people can't somehow get together to object to the volume of advertising and make our Governments do something about it.

Alastair

Comment

I have found that some of the programs when first available, had no adverts, but repeat ones did have adverts.

Annoying when you are saving a series....

I suppose like other business, that have to make some money.

Ranald

Comment

A thing that I have noticed since coming back is that the BBC does show Ads.
          While they are not for commercial products the number of Ads that appear for other BBC shows is just the same as the Ads on commercial stations.
          So in my opinion we should no longer be paying an annual licence and just let them advertise.
          The CBC does it and I do not find it a problem.
          There are also a lot more Ads and for longer than when we left the UK.
          Sandy

Comment

I'm actually coming from the opposite view :laugh2: Sometimes it annoys me that they don't have any commercial ads on the ABC because you have to rush to the toilet and back or wait until the programme finishes.

Ads don't bother me, I just mentally switch off when they are on. Sometimes John will make a comment about the "stupid ad" which was just on and I have to say that I wasn't listening....lol!

We have a heap of free to air channels now which show a lot of the shows which previously you could only see on Foxtel (pay TV). I can't see why anyone would want Foxtel now except maybe for real sports fanatics. Therefore I'm quite happy with the service from commercial tv.

I think it's ridiculous that you are still having to pay for a TV licence in the UK. Last I heard it was £145.50......what a rip off!!! I think there would be a riot in Oz if they tried to introduce that here.

Elda

Comment

I don't mind some advertising but I think 4 minutes per half hour is the most we should have. Also some advertisers are in your face all the time which just gets me rather annoyed. Several of them give you the same 2 minute advert for years on end.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
              X