The vanashing ice in the Artic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The vanashing ice in the Artic

I was watching the "Our World" program on BBC where they were visiting the Arctic. There is no doubt at all that ice is melting away and they think it won't be many more years until the ice is only there in the Winter. They were saying this is going to have profound effects on all of us.

For example the temperature has an effect on the Gulf Stream and so as the Arctic is warming up it is pushing the Gulf Stream further down which is the reason that the UK has had the wettest year for 100 years and they think this is going to be the norm from now on.

Then there is an affect on Southern Europe where they won't get enough rain and hence the drought in America which again they think will become the norm and that affects food prices.

The scientists interviewed were no claiming climate change as the reason although they do say it's hard to find any other reason for this big melt. However whatever your views it's now can't be denied that we're certainly in for more extreme weather.

Alastair

Re: The vanashing ice in the Artic

I'm surprised that no one replied to this post. I think people are ignoring the fact that the world is getting hotter and hotter everyday, and that global warming is right in front of us. The evidence is already clear! Wake up people!

Comment

For every piece of evidence supporting Climate Change, there is a piece of evidence not supporting it. Five years ago our own Professor Tim Flannery, Climate change Commissioner suggested our dams would never be full again.Today they are all full to overflowing.
      I think what is clear, Tim Flannery is a fool...
      Euan..

Comment

You know the weather is bad when you can't even grow a garden any more because of the climate change. I have had a garden every year until 2 years ago, we had starter plants and they were ready to be transplanted into the soil. Three days later the sun had killed the plants off so no garden, the sun and uv waves are really bad when tarps use to last 2-3 seasons and know they only last 30-45 days. i can't even have an herb garden in the shade tried it this year and no good.
        If you have no idea where your from you cant go forward.

Comment

I think we do have global warming but that also means weather is changing all over the world. For example it's though that the south of France is going to get warmer and there are certainly more wild fires there. But that also means that Scotland is going to get wetter and from what I have seen it certainly is.

Alastair

Comment

And we've just had the coldest Spring for years. The road over "The Lecht" in Aberdeenshire was closed for a while yesterday with about 1 foot of snow...
            Sandy

Comment

About 1942, in June (or perhaps July). I took two of my class mates to the Shelter Stone at Loch A'an in the Cairngorms, where we spent the night.

We were very cold, and when we got up, found nearly 4 inches of snow covering the ground.

We abandoned any thought of climbs, and safely made for home at Grantown on Spey.

Ranald

Comment

In June 1972 I was on my honeymoon in Scotland with my late, German husband. Before we met he was convinced that Scotland was always freezing cold & wet. I told him this was not so. Fast forward to June 1972 and the icebergs in the Atlantic were 300 miles closer to Scotland than they normally were at that time of year and it was indeed bloody freezing & wet. I can remember standing on the ramparts of Stirling Castle shivering in our winter clothes.
                Conversely, in October 1990 we were sitting out in my parents back garden in deckchairs wearing summer clothes. Go figure :laugh2:

Elda

Comment

Evacuation Ordered as Melting Ice Cracks Beneath Arctic Research Station
                  Researchers running out of places to set up camp as Arctic ice melts at alarming rate
                  - Jacob Chamberlain, staff writer

A Russian Arctic research station has been forced to evacuate following the discovery that the ice was melting beneath it.
                  The Russian Arctic research station was expected to last until September, depending on usual ice melting patterns. However, the ice floe on which the research station sat began melting at a faster rate than expected.

Russian Natural Resources and Ecology Minister Sergei Donskoi set a three-day deadline to draft a plan to evacuate the North Pole-40 floating research station, the ministry said in a statement.

“The ice is disintegrating,” a ministry spokeswoman told Agence France-Presse. “Cracks appeared in the floe.”

"It's getting harder and harder to find a proper block of ice to sustain one of these stations," said Viktor Boyarsky, a former polar explorer and current director of the Russian State Museum of the Arctic and Antarctic in St. Petersburg.

Comment

Working...
                  X