Bagpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bagpipes

We will hear a lot more about this lass in the future.

Good luck to her with the sales of her CDs

Ranald

Comment

I tending to like older piping styles: piobaireachd and slower ceol beg. However there is some contemporary music that sounds pretty good. Here is an example that unfortunately does not provide any information on the performers.

Comment

I enjoy Piobaireachd when performed on a set of pipes that are tuned lower than contemporary pipe band tunings. Attached is the Lament For the Earl of Dunmore composed by John Grant (1876-1961). There is something about a well-phrased piobaireached performance that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

A piobairached is a stylized piece of music that begins with an urlar or ground then is followed by variations on the urlar that may, depending on the phrasing used, include movements with exotic names like crunluath, dithis, doubling, leumluath, siubhal, taorluath; then a return the the urlar.
        Last edited by miolchu; 9 January 2011, 14:27.

Comment

In some ways this is where we might do some linking within here and on the main site. Like we have quite an account of Ticonderoga on Electric Scotland at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...bwatch/bw6.htm

So we could cross link to Isla St Clair's video on that page or provide a link to the appropriate message within here.

Alastair

Comment

Great idea about the cross linking. I don't have a clue about how to do it though! If you can do the crosslinking I could find additional material that could be crosslinked to articles on ES like Culloden, etc.

Comment

I tried to attach the following link using the insert link icon into the post I did on Isla Saint Clair to link the video to the ES article Graham Donachie's Stories:Ticonderoga http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/donachie/ticonderoga.htm but the link is grayed out and would have to be cut and pasted into a search window for it to work. Is there any way to make the link active and open up a new window?

Comment

You can simply paste any url into a message and the system will automatically turn it into a link when you post the message.

Alastair

Comment

miss Espie as posted a few more videos on her YouTube channel. One of the videos was filmed during a trip to Australia in March of 2011. She has released a new CD "Bend It Like Jane"

http://www.youtube.com/user/JaneEspie

Comment

Bend It Like Jane album preview :angelic:

Comment

Ontario, Canada's Jim McGillivray on pipes

Among his other works are two instructional videos: "Pipes Ready" and "Pipes Up" that are both informative and very entertaining.

Comment

Thanks for posting this video. SFU comes to the games in Seattle every year and I've been able to speak to some of the pipers before performances. Despite what some people think, I consider SFU to be the worlds best pipe band. I'm sure there are a few folks in North Ireland that would take exception to that and after watching this years world championships, I think they might have a good arguement. Field Marshal Montgomery was great.

Obviously this post belongs under the video of SFU.
                        Never pick a fight with an old Highlander. If he can't fight, he will just kill you.

Comment

I love this video as it is different than most.
                          Never pick a fight with an old Highlander. If he can't fight, he will just kill you.

Comment

The Phantom Piper & Saor Patrol performing "Rocky Top" in the Hospitality Area at T in the Park 2009

Hire Scotland's The Phantom Piper http://www.thephantompiper.com for wedding & festivals or Scotlands Wildest Medieval Highland Pipe & Drum Band http://www.saorpatrol.com

Comment

Edinburgh Tattoo 1998.mp4

This is a follow-on from the first video on this thread.

Comment

I remember being at the castle for the first Tattoo, and the stand where we were seated started to make odd noises as it settled down with the weight of the people.

My friend and I started making remarks about its possible collapse, which on reflection could have caused a real panic...... ah me the things we did when young !

I have been fortunate in attending several times at the castle, and it has always been an uplifting experience.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
                                X