Progress with Tartan Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress with Tartan Day

As a member of CASSOC (Clans and Scottish Societies of Canada) and as the sole representative of Clan Ross in the FSCNS (Federation of Scottish Clans in Nova Scotia), the Clan Ross Association of Canada, Inc., was pleased to support the UCSAC (United Council of Scots in Atlantic Canada) in its bid to ask the Canadian Government to proclaim, through legislation, April 6 as Tartan Day and, at the same time, urging that the Maple Leaf Tartan be officially designated as the country's national tartan.

Tartan Day was first proposed on March 9, 1986, and proclaimed in the legislature of Nova Scotia, Canada, on April 6, 1987. They chose April 6 - the date the Treaty of Arbroath was signed some seven centuries ago. All Canadian provinces have since recognized that date for celebration. (For more details, please visit http://www.greatclanross.org/htext8~Q3.html)

The more recent request for support from Dan Taylor, Executive Director of UCSAC, was relayed by email in Talking Points VIII during the Fall of 2009. We thank our Clan Ross Canada members, who followed up by contacting their Members of Parliament to encourage their support.

Cheers,
    Doug
    National Webmaster for the Clan Ross Association of Canada, Inc.

Re: Progress with Tartan Day

Here is a follow-up to Talking Points VIII. For those of you who are interested here is a link to Bill s-222. http://www2.parl.gc.ca/content/Senat...222_text-e.htm and here is Dan's letter as forwarded by Dorothy Knight on June 26, 2010. - - -Doug Ross

I have some very good news to share with everyone. I will be up dating the blog on our website but I wanted to pass on the information on the National Tartan Day movement. I am happy to report it is good news. I received from Hon. Keith Ashfield's office an email on Thursday advising that Senator Wallace introduced the bill for a National Tartan Day in the Senate this past Tuesday and it went to it's second reading on Thursday. Senator Wallace expects to speak on it by September. Everyone should know that Senator Wallace has full support of the Senate and the Minister of Heritage. The bill will then move to Parliament in the fall and because it will be coming from the Senate with full support it is expected to pass very quickly. Lets just hope there are no elections or anything between now and Christmas. If the moon and stars all line up, we should see our first Canadian Tartan Day in 2011!

On the issue of the Maple Leaf Tartan stay tuned for more information.

Again, thank you everyone for all the help in contacting their MP's and Senator's. However, I would not let up just yet keep up the pressure.

If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you
    Dan Taylor, Executive Director
    United Council of Scots of Atlantic Canada

<taylord@nbnet.nb.ca>

Comment

Working...
    X